New DSi due out this year (maybe)

This is extremely sad. With a bigger screen they either do one of two things. 1) They just stretch the pixels with the console screen but keep the same resolution, this would look horrible. 2) They make the screen resolution bigger and stretch the pixels with software, this will also look like ****. They will probably go with number two, and although old games will still look like ****, they will probably start making games to fit the new resolution, thus people who paid top dollar for the original DS, won't be able to play the "Latest Games" and be forced to buy the same piece of software and hardware in order to fit the new resolution. Why would Nintendo do this? They should put their time into making a new Zelda game, or hey what about a Star fox one? Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Last edited:
They're not changing the resolution. It's not a big enough change to make a significant difference in pixel size.

It's not a big enough change to make a significant difference in pixel size.

The report states the screen will now be close to the size of Sony's PSP, nearly double that of the current DSi screen area.

If the screen size will double, then pixel size will too. Not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable.

They're not changing the resolution.

This allow for higher display of graphics and text

The only way to do this would be to either change the screen resolution or change the hardware entirely. Old games won't be built for the new resolution, so their pixels will have to be stretched.

That article snippet is badly worded. For one thing, what does "higher display of graphics and text" mean? Larger size? Higher resolution?

Regardless of that, the new screens will be 4 inches (measured diagonal) as opposed to the current 3.25 inches. Roughly 5.25 square inches compared to 7.9 square inches.

Also it appears this is targeted at older consumers who may not have very good closeup eyesight, so it's most likely just larger pixels at the same resolution as before.

Just the way they worded "higher display of graphics and text" can only lead me to believe one of two thing, either the resolution will change, or the will actually re-do the hardware to have a higher bit-rate. They could just stretch the pixels but I would never consider that a "higher display". I agree that the article is badly worded, and upon further reading, I probably should have quoted a more reliable source.

Also it appears this is targeted at older consumers who may not have very good closeup eyesight, so it's most likely just larger pixels at the same resolution as before.

I hope that this is the case, and it probably is. Just the "higher display of graphics and text" made me think that they actually were going to start making games in a new resolution, which would be very annoying to owners of the current DSi as well as original DS owners.
Here is a better article to read on, as it does not assume anything too drastic. Alternatively here is another article on the subject.

Last edited:
Well as is traditional there have been mock ups already
1beabfeb.jpg

7badb19d.png

More here

The multi touch support will change things to more of a iPhone level

And the screen's even bigger than the initial rumors... Hmmm... Will be interesting to see what the graphics look like now....

Ever put a Gameboy classic game in a Gameboy advance and pressed one of the shoulder buttons?

Im thinking like that

this pisses me off, i bought a dsi black & blue & they comeout with this i'm gonna have to get a job again & save up for these

Knowing Nintendo they proberly had this planed for some time.I belive from as far back as the first DS.So i dont belive we have anything to be concerned about.For all we know the DS games were bilt to play with the new larger displays like on the DSi.But i also belive that the pics we see are not the final thing.

P.S
I like the mock-up with the control stick.

Back