New gun for the ps3. Better than the wiimote?

Wii&Ps3

Banned
Jan 6, 2007
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/06/how_the_guncon_.html

Im not a techie with this kind of stuff. I will copy and paste what someone said about it from another forum

Frankly it's a totally different technology from Wii remote.
Wii remote uses IR sersor bar to do the positioning, like your leaser guiding missle.
But it uses much weaker and thicker red LED, which makes the guiding really rough.
The bottom line is Wii remote's pointing system is just not accurate enoguh for gun games on HD resolusion.
GunCon3 uses 2 makers and a CCD camera inside, basically working as reverse of eyetoy.
This means GunCon3 should have minimum,4x4 pixel accuracy which is very accurate for games.
I hope they put a simple 3D acceleration motion sensor on the lefthand stick.

There's a 360 and someone's played Project Sylpheed on it :shocked:

oh right right this is great that gun will be used for Time Crisis 4 and ummm ummm ummm ummmm ummmm ummm ummmmm I have no farther comments

Its namcos product, it looks a tad uglier than the ps2 guncon and it seems like this one is trying to mimic the arcade gun more closely. The orange color is used thanks to stupid gun laws that say toy guns have to look very fake, often using that orange color. The biggest problem faced with light guns is that with the introduction of hdtvs (lcd and plasma), the normal method of flashing the screen using lights wouldnt work.

Either way, it will be a better gun than using the wiimote, however its still considered a third party product so we shouldnt get too excited.

First off the quality probably won't be drastically better and if it's Namco they will probably be the only ones to use it since other developers won't really say "oh lets make a game requiring a third-party accessory that nobody owns that way Namco gets money... and it return we don't"

... they are NOT trying to beat the wiimote. Geezus people, you guys see intent where none exists. Nacmo is putting one of their arcade games on the PS3, like they did for the ps2 and ps1. You need a third party gun to play their game, so they changed the method to the one that the wiimote uses (which is also not original) to get around the fact that not everyone will be playing on old school tube tvs.

The wiimote sucks as a gun anyways, theres a delay between the wiimote and the game, due to the fact that the wii cant process very much (its got a 700mhz cpu), and that its used completely differently than one would opperate the light gun system, which in my opinion was far superior in terms of pick up and shoot. The wiimote is simply a laser pointer, good for some things bad for others. Even worse on a system that cant process as much.

It's like the difference between 30 FPS and 31 FPS no one notices I've said that before

Wow, good job on something that's "Totally different technology"! instead of IR like the Wiimote, let's use CCD instead

That would be awsome for Time Crisis, love that game, anyway it's not saying much saying it's more accurate than the Wii-mote, that thing is a joke for shooting games, doesnt react quick enough and it ust int that accurate lol good idea, not perfected yet.

i havent noticed any delay while using the wiimote as a gun.. but im not going to say there wont be. sounds cool so someone metioned that this will be like the arcade gun games? cause those are flawless. good times in the arcade playing time crisis or house of the dead or some ****... the alien gun game is pretty good too.

Area 51 I think you mean yeah that games awesome Time Crisis is weird though while your teammate is trying to tackle the one guy you try to help by shooting him :wtf:

Rail shooters do typically awful in sales. Most games that would make use of a gun type controller would be rail shooters. I have little faith that even Resident Evil UC will be any good. How about instead of accessories few will buy, they just give us PS1-2 memory card ports. Put them on the controller. Nintendo, Sega did it N64, DC. Sony can too. People will pay money for that.

Back