New Macs

I'm happy with my MacBook Pro. I must admit, the new iMacs look damn good, but put it this way:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have a working computer, I don't need a new one.

I wouldn't use that as a standard since the Wii cost only $250 and the new iMac cost over $1000.

Right I've never owned a Mac but I've used one at my friends house and in the shops, so I am new to them, but I already love them! But anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini for my room and hooking it up to my 27" HD Samsung. I'll also get a wireless keyboard and mouse.
But I was wondering, there's a HDMI to VGA cable [EDIT: it's HDMI to DVI, sorry] (here), but what benefits would I get out of using this, like, what HD things could I watch?
Also, is there any difference in a Mac Mini purchased in the US/Canada to one bought in the UK and could I use one from the US/Canada here in the UK?
Are the keyboards the same, i.e. layout of keys?
And is the software the same, such as Office for Mac?
Because I could probably save a fair amount of money as I have to pay 17.5% VAT on anything bought here.

Man I'd love to get an iMac for the backroom, it'd look f*cking awesome with the white Samsung and the Wii.

Last edited:
Lewi T said:
Right I've never owned a Mac but I've used one at my friends house and in the shops, so I am new to them, but I already love them! But anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini for my room and hooking it up to my 27" HD Samsung. I'll also get a wireless keyboard and mouse.
But I was wondering, there's a HDMI to VGA cable (here), but what benefits would I get out of using this, like, what HD things could I watch?
Also, is there any difference in a Mac Mini purchased in the US/Canada to one bought in the UK and could I use one from the US/Canada here in the UK?
Are the keyboards the same, i.e. layout of keys?
And is the software the same, such as Office for Mac?
Because I could probably save a fair amount of money as I have to pay 17.5% VAT on anything bought here.

Man I'd love to get an iMac for the backroom, it'd look f*cking awesome with the white Samsung and the Wii.
With the HDMI to VGA, i presume you would be using a HD screen with it? you won't get HD quality, becasuse the graphics card is outputting on DVI and you will then use a switch to VGA, and then plug it in via HDMI, pointless i think.
The only difference in the Mac mini's from the USA to the ones in the UK is the cable that comes from the transformer, but you can buy a new one from PC world for the less than £10.

The keyboard will always been an american layout, using a UK keyboard on it is possible, but very hard, as many of the keys are out of place.

Office for Mac is an extra, but there is software on the mac that can open the same programs.

if you do get a mac, honestly wait till Leopard comes out, i would say a month at the most.

Gaz said:
With the HDMI to VGA, i presume you would be using a HD screen with it? you won't get HD quality, becasuse the graphics card is outputting on DVI and you will then use a switch to VGA, and then plug it in via HDMI, pointless i think.
The only difference in the Mac mini's from the USA to the ones in the UK is the cable that comes from the transformer, but you can buy a new one from PC world for the less than £10.

The keyboard will always been an american layout, using a UK keyboard on it is possible, but very hard, as many of the keys are out of place.

Office for Mac is an extra, but there is software on the mac that can open the same programs.

if you do get a mac, honestly wait till Leopard comes out, i would say a month at the most.
Sorry I meant HDMI to DVI, not HDMI to VGA...does that change your answer?

Yeah I thought that they're the same, apart from the plug, so that wasn't a problem. I was just wondering if anything else was different.

So are there any major disadvantages of buying it in the US and using it in the UK?

Infact, I just worked it out again (I forgot I was entitled to the Education discount, but that would only apply if I bought it in England), and I averaged US sales tax to be 7%, and I would only save about £60, so really it isn't even worth it...but yeah, I was going to wait 'til Leopard comes out! I wouldn't be buying it right now anyway, I don't have the funds!

Lewi T said:
Sorry I meant HDMI to DVI, not HDMI to VGA...does that change your answer?

Yeah I thought that they're the same, apart from the plug, so that wasn't a problem. I was just wondering if anything else was different.

So are there any major disadvantages of buying it in the US and using it in the UK?

Infact, I just worked it out again (I forgot I was entitled to the Education discount, but that would only apply if I bought it in England), and I averaged US sales tax to be 7%, and I would only save about £60, so really it isn't even worth it...but yeah, I was going to wait 'til Leopard comes out! I wouldn't be buying it right now anyway, I don't have the funds!
never tried DVI to hdmi, i got no idea if it will work or if it won't.

My dad bought a mac mini from the US and uses it in the UK, it is exactly the same just slightly cheaper because of the exchange rate and the sales tax is less.

The higher educational discount in the UK is quite good, i can't give a quote on the % as i have never used it, but heard it is good.

Gaz said:
never tried DVI to hdmi, i got no idea if it will work or if it won't.

My dad bought a mac mini from the US and uses it in the UK, it is exactly the same just slightly cheaper because of the exchange rate and the sales tax is less.

The higher educational discount in the UK is quite good, i can't give a quote on the % as i have never used it, but heard it is good.
I know the HDMI to DVI will work, someone who bought it off the Apple store commented and said he was using it with his Mac mini and his HD Sasmung, I was just wondering what benefits I'd get out of buying that, rather than using the DVI to VGA adaptor that's included in the box.

Ahh good, I thought it'd be the same, apart from price, but after working it out, without the Education discount I'd save over £100, but with it it's only around £60. But then I'd have to either pay for it to be delivered to the UK, which would cost quite a lot I imagine, or wait until I go to the States myself and buy it...but I'm not planning on going anytime soon so that's out of the question. And the shipping cost is going to at least be something like £15-20, so then that's only a saving of around £40, so I might as well just buy it here.

Does anyone know of anywhere where I could get a Mac mini, DVI to HDMI adaptor, wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, and Office for Mac, cheaper than on the Apple website? Currently I have those four items priced at £650 with the Education discount.
I have another decision to make, but I'll make a new thread for it so people can see it.

I didn't think so, especially in England anyway because there's only a handful of shops that sell Macs.

Back