New Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game Revealed!

Splash_King

The Scrubbiest of Hunters
Jan 25, 2009
Nimbasa City
Wii Online Code
0129-0129-0129-0129
CoroCoro's first images have been released detailing the newest addition to the dungeon crawler Mystery Dungeon series. Though not many details are known yet, some pretty decent info's been leaked.

Firstly, the name. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth. Bit of a mouthful, but hey, that's direct translations from Japanese to English for ya. Secondly, the game will be released on the 3DS. Just as Ninty has said, BW2 will be the last major release on the DS, and as such a first party title like this is to be released on the most recent console. Since it's on the 3DS, the game will also make use of that processing power and the graphics will not be 2D any longer, as a few in-game screenshots from this image signifies. It's nice to see handheld Pokemon games transition from 2D to 3D now that they've got a competent handheld, and I hope they nail it properly rather than pull somethin' similar to Pokepark or spin-off garbage of that sort. Perhaps the next mainstay RPG will also be in 3D... ... ... An ambitious thought, ain't it? :lol:

Two more important details: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth (from now on to be shortened as PMD: MatIL) will be released in Japan this Winter, which means the US release; I'm assuming there will be one; won't be too far behind, possibly some time around Spring 2012. Lastly, this game will be standalone: there will not be multiple versions of the same game. No more version exclusives, no more money-grubbing hassle. While we can't say it won't get a Platinum or a Sky in the future, this won't be another Red/Blue or Time/Darkness conundrum. Everyone gets the same damn game, and gets everything you should receive for a full-priced game.

There's still a bit more news of course, though mostly minor details. The story begins with you, as a human, "falling into a dream wherein you turn into a Pokemon". MatIL will also have an augmented reality feature via the 3DS' cameras, used to open dungeons (among other things), just like how the Dream Radar uses it. It's pretty obvious this gimmick will either have somethin' to do with the Dream World, whether it'l be connected to the GTS and other Dream World stuff or not.

Many Pokes in the game have also been revealed via this image, both ones you play as and NPCs. Pikachu, Axew, and the Unova starters are confirmed to be playable (can't say I'd mind playin' as a Haxorus). Those Unova Pokes aside, plenty of other Unova 'mons have been confirmed as well, so it's pretty obvious this is a Gen 5 Mystery Dungeon.

Finally, that image also details the starting town, typically the hub of your non-dungeon activities, as well as revealing many of the services and Pokes running said services in the town. A Kecleon once again runs the general Item Shop; though, it doesn't seem to be the Kecleon Brothers... A Cofagrigus runs another store. A Dunsparce will be the one t' give out Quests (I miss quirky ol' Wigglytuff already). A Rampardos runs the "Treasure Store", which will probably be the store that opens locked treasure chests for ya, though it may have new services as well.

That's all the news so far. As I did with the BW2 News thread, I'll keep all the details in the second post within spoilers, chronicling all the news as it's announced. While I'm honestly quite wary of the shift to 3D; what with my disdain for other 3D Pokemon RPGs; I'm certainly excited. I love the Mystery Dungeon games and I feel that, besides Black & White, they're the best Pokemon games that have been released. The fact I don't have to choose between version exclusives is even better.

Anywho, what's y'all's take on this announcement? Excited? Couldn't give a flyin' **** (don'tchu go 'n postin' that ¬_¬)? Questions? Throw up a post.

09-13-2012

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth is officially announced for the 3DS. Japanese release date revealed as Winter 2012. Various smaller details are noted, such as the starting area Post Town, five of the Pokemon you can play as, the augmented reality feature used to open Dungeons, etc. Multiple pages from CoroCoro are released.

corocoro101.jpg

corocoro102.jpg

corocoro103.jpg

9-15-2012

First official trailer is released.

[video=youtube;9toyo8_IApw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toyo8_IApw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

10-15-2012

Various details are released, such as new plot and gameplay elements. Two scans are released. Said details are noted here.

http://www.serebii.net/corocoro111.jpg

http://www.serebii.net/corocoro112.jpg

11-6-2012

Passwords used to unlock things in-game are confirmed as a game mechanic, with five of said passwords released. Though the passwords are labeled with a Pokemon, it's still unknown what they unlock.

Pikachu: C646T5CK
Snivy: SP38XJ35
Tepig: CQP342QH
Oshawott: 2HN9KXHF
Axew: HK3JHWW9

11-7-2012

A new trailer is released.

[video=youtube;PVdNnbw2gts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PVdNnbw2gts[/video]

Last edited:
I'd be a wee bit hyped if I wasn't so PC focused. I actually recently got Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time.
The games are good fun just easily abusable things such as Smokescreen and status ailment seeds have tainted the game a bit too much for my liking now. Not really hyped for it or anything either. I'm glad there's another one just not the fact there's another one.

Confusing last sentence is confusing!

Ain't like Pokemon's ever been known for difficulty. :lol: Mystery Dungeon does have those insanely difficult post-game dungeons though, like that Zero Isle (... er, that was it's name, right?).

Confusing last sentence is confusing!

magikarp_second.jpg

MatIL's first official trailer's been revealed! No subs yet, but they're unnecessary anyways.

[video=youtube;9toyo8_IApw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toyo8_IApw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

A small detail ya might not be able t' tell from the video; 'cause there's no subs; is that it's revealed how the Poke ya play as is chosen: by usin' the 3DS' camera on yourself. This might make it harder to get the Poke ya want, if there's one in particular... [STRIKE]I better go 'n buy an Axew costume.[/STRIKE]

After silence for nigh a month, some news has finally come out via CoroCoro; albeit rather minor.

Firstly, some main characters have been confirmed. The plot will heavily involve good ol' Ho-Oh and Lugia, as well as Kyurem. Whether or not Kyurem will turn out to be friend or foe is not yet confirmed, and I can imagine it could swing either way.

Some more details have been confirmed on the starting town as well. Victini runs a new service called the V-Roulette (such... creative naming) which can get ya higher ranking Pokemon apparently. A Scraggy is the new move tutor who can have your team re-learn or forget moves, though it isn't listed that he also links moves... An Azumarill watches over the mission board which is, as always, where ya get missions.

There was a mistranslation early on and the game's main hub is not known as Post Town, but "Pokemon Paradise".

... Really? ... ... ... Seriously?

Post Town can be upgraded in various specifications overtime and ya can even open your own stores and such. A Pansage will run a garden of sorts where you can grow your own berries, which is certainly helpful. Quagsire replaces Chimeco as the manager of your recruits. The last detail revealed of... Post Town is that a Beartic will run some minigame, though it's unknown what prizes (assuming it ain't just pokedollars) ya play for.

In terms of more relevant details, there's a new joint attack which can do massive damage to foes, and has t' do with the participating Poke's types. On top of this, there're also Team skills. No, not like Bodyguard or nothin', actual skills that may function similar to the Plus and Minus abilities in that it requires another skill. ... Or at least that's what I'm hopin', since that'd bring some extra strategy to gameplay.

Finally, an Emolga and Dunsparce are guaranteed to join your team somewhere in the story. Meh. That's all the news for now. Oh, and the two scans all this came from.

Almost another month later, new trailer has been released. Though it mostly just confirms much of what we already know.

[video=youtube;PVdNnbw2gts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PVdNnbw2gts[/video]

So yeah, Kyurem is confirmed as bein' an enemy. Also, some passwords were released for the Japanese version yesterday. Though the passwords are labeled with a Pokemon, it's still unknown what exactly they unlock.

Pikachu: C646T5CK
Snivy: SP38XJ35
Tepig: CQP342QH
Oshawott: 2HN9KXHF
Axew: HK3JHWW9

Last edited:
Guess who forgot 'bout one'a their threads again? >_>

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is to be released tomorrow in the US, so y'all with plans on gettin' it, snap to it. For those who don't, there's a demo available on the 3DS' eShop... it's been available for awhile actually, I forgot t' report on that. The demo gives you 'bout the first 30 minutes of the game, right from selecting your character and the opening scenes of the story, to whatever the cut-off point is for the demo (I haven't played it myself; no spoilerz 4 me lul). If ya own a 3DS, whether you like Pokemon or not, ya should definitely give the demo a shot. Perhaps you'll be surprised.

This demo also has a nice little feature that you'd think more downloadable demos would have: you get t' keep all of your progress you make in the demo, and if you buy the actual game, can pick up right where ya left off. No need t' play the first bit again.

The adventures of Swaggins the Snivy will continue in due time, for the affordable cost of $40! Huzzah!

Magikarp wishes t' relay the information that you have made the correct choice.

This demo also has a nice little feature that you'd think more downloadable demos would have: you get t' keep all of your progress you make in the demo, and if you buy the actual game, can pick up right where ya left off. No need t' play the first bit again.
How do you know?

Back