New To PC Gaming

BluRayPSP

TF2 Best Characters
Jul 7, 2009
Arkansas
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I'm getting tired of console gaming; I want to move on and into PC Gaming. Right now I'm having trouble finding games that use the specs for my computer has. I also would not be able to use Steam because it probably requires credit card info which I do not have. I do have Half-Life and it runs well on the computer I'm using. Here are the specs:

Windows 7 Starter
intel Atom N455 1.66GHz (512kb Cache) Single-Core Processor
1GB DDR3 SDRAM
250GB HDD [5400RPM](+500GB External HDD)
32-Bit (64-bit only Until Upgrade)

I recommend games from the 80's and 90's.
-This was also the golden age of space flight games. Wing Commander, Elite, and Freespace 2.
-If you are into FPS games, Quake 3 is still online.
-Starcraft and X-com are your best bet for a good strategy game.
-For the RPG players, Planescape and Baldur's Gate 2.

Be advised that retro PC gaming is NOT for graphic whores.

I still don't understand what's behind all the hubub for PC gaming, or at least not in the present... So many grand PC games are ported to consoles these days, after all.

... Sorry this has nothing to do with recommending good games. >_>;

Be advised that retro PC gaming is NOT for graphic whores.

I believe that's an obivous given. :lol:

I still don't understand what's behind all the hubub for PC gaming, or at least not in the present... So many grand PC games are ported to consoles these days, after all.
Correct. PC gaming has lost it's grandeur from before. That is why I'm recommending older titles.
SSBfreakCK said:
I believe that's an obivous given. :lol:
Not exactly. Many of the popular PC titles have been modded for high end PC's.

As far as I've seen, most recent home computers just need a fairly decent graphics card and it should work fine with PC games. I put a GeForce 430 in my PC, didn't add anything else other than that, and it can run most games at at least 50 FPS.

It might not be a bad idea to invest in a decent graphics card if you're going to start PC gaming.

Although I gave up PC gaming a while ago (when my last build died) I must admit it does have advantages.

From these specs Id guess youre working with a low end laptop?...

Diablo FTW

Also you could try Team Fortress

Although I gave up PC gaming a while ago (when my last build died) I must admit it does have advantages.

From these specs Id guess youre working with a low end laptop?...

Diablo FTW

Also you could try Team Fortress
I'm assuming you guys mean Team Fortress Classic? What a shame, you'd love Hat Fortress 2.

I am kind of working with a low end laptop knowing that it is actually a Netbook. I can do HD graphics surprisingly and it was still able to perform Half-Life even in 1360x768p (Although it Lags; only at intense areas, but enough to call it playable. I find it amazing and wonder where f*** I was in 1998 to miss it... oh yeah, Nintendo 64 because computers were actually made better so they were expensive). I am playing older games, Ultimate Doom & Doom II. Like I said I'm new, although I say that; I have played Wolfenstien 3D back in 1993 and so on. How do get DOSbox to work exactly? However, whenever I get the money, I wouldn't even have to ask anymore. I do enjoy graphics, however, not when I cannot afford it. As far as ports from computer to console, there is one significant difference that I've noticed. The graphics for PC gaming is better, however; it's harder to find PC games if you cannot afford the latest and greatest PC hardware and since there are so many different computers, it is hard to get a PC game to run on every hardware. That is why people enjoy the ports, because the hardware of a console lasts for 5 years rather than every few seconds for the PC specs to fade. Please don't forget my DOSbox question. Thanks for helping me Guys. I forgot about Quake III, and I look into Team Fortress.

I do enjoy Killzone 3, Half-Life 1 & Half-Life 2/Part One/Part Two, Portal, Doom 1-3, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstien 3D, UTIII (Except Online Multiplayer), Fallout 3 (FPS Mostly), Fallout Vegas (FPS Mostly. I sure as hell enjoyed Battlefield 3 Online Beta (PS3).

I do enjoy Killzone 3, Half-Life 1 & Half-Life 2/Part One/Part Two, Portal, Doom 1-3, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstien 3D, UTIII (Except Online Multiplayer), Fallout 3 (FPS Mostly), Fallout Vegas (FPS Mostly. I sure as hell enjoyed Battlefield 3 Online Beta (PS3).
Play Team Fortress 2. Now.

Back