New to System

basement

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2009
I am writing on behalf of my 9yr old who rec' a new Wii for Christmas. He mentioned he thinks he needs a memory card. My questions: Will any SD card work or does it need to be the Nintendo brand? If all he is playing is the Wii Sports and just acouple others does he truely needed the added memory? Finally, what information is 'saved' achievements etc?
Thank you

If he is just playing a few games than he certainly won't require a memory card. The wii has 512 mb of internal memory. I have about 10 games and have downloaded all of the available channels and I'm not even close to filling up the internal memory. If you do want a memory card, the only memory cards that are compatable with wii are SD cards, and no, it does not have to be a Nintendo brand SD card (they just put a Nintendo sticker on the card and jack the price up $20). The saved information is what you would expect. It's just there so that you don't have to start from the beginning whenever you play a game.

I think you might just be the first truly "new" member after... it happened.

Whatever could you mean? Without having a post count, I had resorted to assuming that he was a regular.

After all, if he were a noob I probably would have shunned him ;)

*very curious about this it*

I have about 20 game saves + 3 VC + 2 WiiWare + all the free channels and I'm just nearing the capacity of the internal memory. You should be fine for quite some time unless you plan on buying a lot of vc/wiiware games.

When you do decide you need an sd card don't buy an official one. They are much cheaper if you just buy a normal one online.

Nintendo is planning on allowing games to be downloaded and played directly from the SD card so it will be much more useful after this update, I don't think you'll need one before this happens though.

you can get high scores for games but they are only viewable in game.you may get a message from the message box in your wii menu.

you dont need an sd card unless you download many games.
if you do download many games i would recommend a 2 gig sd card for 10-20 bucks on the web. wii cant support cards bigger than 2 gigs and the smaller cards are similiarly priced.

Back