new to the wii want some info before I buy one

kidas

WiiChat Member
Nov 16, 2010
I was wondering I want to buy a wii whats the diffence from the old ones from the new ones is there a diffence? I will be buying one used so what should I look for.

Used ones are as stated "Used" be wary that some used ones might have passwords on them to stop you from doing certain things, but might have some virtual console/Wiiware games already on them

if they have games on them is that a bad thing?

Here is some help. Old Wii's have Wii-motes and Motion plus attachment. New Wii's come with Wii-motes and Silicone covers to protect them. Old has only one color.......White. New have White,Black,Red. Red being the newest unless you buy a black with donkey kong with it pre loaded on the virtual channel.

If you say.....goto a pawn shop make sure it is not loaded with Homebrew. Homebrew will prevent your wii from just about everything if it were to update while using homebrew. Just stay legal!

There is no GB harddrive difference or newer than what is out for the Wii's. There are however a few things to know before your BIG purchase.

Buy an additional wiimote for 2 players to have fun unless you prefer solo play. I recommend a energizer charge pad for 2 wiimotes so you won't blow a ton of $ for batteries. Get Super Mario Wii if you like mario as that is a great title to start off with and goto your nearest game place to reserve SUPER MARIO GREATEST HITS as it is Mario 1,2,3 and 1.2 lost levels. That should keep you busy for a while. A SD card with 1 or 2 GB drive space is recommended but not necessary.

Total projective cost for a base used wii = around $300 with the above mentioned. Good luck :)

Does the old ones have Motion Plus and what is Motion Plus? sorry new to this.

Does the old ones have Motion Plus and what is Motion Plus? sorry new to this.

The Wii MotionPlus is an expansion device for the Wii Remote. It depends which console bundle you go for, it's included with new Wii's that come with Sports Resort for example. It's only required for a small amount of games.

whatever u get, u need 2 no if ur goin 2 mod it

i have a modded 3.2, which has been safe-upgraded 2 a 4.3. new wiis might b harder 2 mod but it depends what ur doin with it :p

what does MotionPlus do? Do I need it for like golf and bowling stuff like that? Also is all the remotes for the wii wireless? so I dont have to plug it in to the system?

yea they are of course wireless.......AS all new console systems are ;). Tricky thing is to sync them when you get them. Hit sync on the wii sd card slot followed by the little tiny red one on the back of the wiimotes. You must do this everytime if you were to go play on someone else's wii and repeat again when you want to play on yours. Simple. YOU might just want to buy a new one since they come with an instruction booklet or just find one on ebay for a small fee if you find a used one. ALL wiimotes now after nov.7 2010 will have wiimotion built into the wiimote. The wiimotion is an add-on to help "de-bug" the sensor.....makes it a 1:1 motion. Meaning that when you move the cursor on tv it makes it "mimick" 99.9% or something like that. Older model wiimotes with the add on cost consumers $49.99 for the wii mote and then $19.98 for the wii motion plus add on for a whopping $70 per wii mote, Now they are alittle more than half that and smaller and light weight. All about preference.

Jesus Christ! Kidas, buy a new one. If you find a used one with games then yes its bad, depending. Some used Wiis have Mod Chips which is a Wii that has been Hacked internally by being taken Apart. HomeBrew is by Installing it and then you could do things a New Wii can't like play DVDs/CDs or other things (Mod Chips Do the Same).
Just buy a New One. Wii Motion Plus is to give more Motion Functionality and senses your movements more precisely. It comes in some Wii Bundles or Stand Alone Add-On, but I'd recommend the Newer Built-in Model.

Jesus Christ! Kidas, buy a new one. If you find a used one with games then yes its bad, depending. Some used Wiis have Mod Chips which is a Wii that has been Hacked internally by being taken Apart. HomeBrew is by Installing it and then you could do things a New Wii can't like play DVDs/CDs or other things (Mod Chips Do the Same).
Just buy a New One. Wii Motion Plus is to give more Motion Functionality and senses your movements more precisely. It comes in some Wii Bundles or Stand Alone Add-On, but I'd recommend the Newer Built-in Model.

^ ^ ^ ^
Ditto ;)

Back