New to Wii

flyingb

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2009
Charleston
I am wanting to purchase a Wii for my kidos for Christmas, but I am confused on what to buy. Looking at a bundle package that includes console, two nunchucks, two remotes and one game.
My question is what accessories do I need and how many of each. I also am wondering what the nunchucks and remotes do?
Any help or suggestions on games, accessories or any othe advise would be appreciated.
I know my kids know what all of this is, but want it to be a suprise.

Thanks,

flyingb

Which accessories you need depends on the game that you want to play. The Wii Remote is the basic controller that connects to the Wii. Some games can be played with the Wii Remote alone, such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The Nunchuk is an add-on for the Wii Remote which has an analog control stick and more buttons. Some games require it, such as Super Mario Galaxy, but others don't. There's also the classic controller, which connects to the Wii Remote just like the Nunchuk and is needed for Virtual Console and some WiiWare games purchased from the Wii Shop Channel. As for games, it depends on the age group and type of games the kids like. The most popular family-friendly multiplayer games (in my opinion) are New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Brawl and based on the limited info you gave, I am recommending those three games.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the limited info but I don't no where to begin as I am clueless on the Wii. I just wondering what do I need to purchase in order to get the best bang for the buck.

My kids are 6 & 9 and I want this to be for the whole family, so we can all play together.

I hope this helps and any suggestions, thoughts or questions I can answer to help guide me would be greatly appreciated.

Flying b

I forgot to ask.. which game is in the bundle you are looking at? I'd guess it's Wii Sports? You can find info about any game by Googling or looking at Wikipedia and the game box will usually be marked with the types of controllers you can use but here's a short summary of the games I mentioned.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a side-scrolling platformer similar to the old Mario games for the NES and SNES and up to 4 players can play simultaneously. You can use the Wii Remote alone or with the Nunchuk.

Mario Kart Wii is a racing game with Mario franchise characters. It comes with one special accessory called the Wii Wheel, which can also be purchased separately, and the Wii Remote becomes a steering wheel that you hold and actually turn to control the player and is a lot of fun with multiple players. You can also use the Wii Remote alone, with Nunchuk or classic controller, or a GameCube controller.

Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game with characters from different Nintendo and other franchises. There is absolutely no blood and gore and the objective is to knock the other players "out of bounds" or basically off the screen. You can use the Wii Remote alone, Nunchuk or classic controller, or GameCube controller for this game too.

Super Mario Galaxy is an adventure game where Mario collects power stars from different levels. It is very similar to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. This is a one player game, but a second player can control a cursor on the screen to help the first player. It requires the Wii Remote+Nunchuk.

I hope this info will help you. :)

Wii Sports Resort is a great one for kids. The bundle package is probably your best bet, you'll be able to get by with two remotes for most games (A lot of the sports games let you take turns with the same controller). I would also suggest getting a charger for the wii remotes, otherwise batteries can get expensive. The wii is great for kids, and there is a great selection of games for kids, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something they will enjoy.

Back