New Wii SKU Coming

ericlewis91 said:
why would you say this? what a waste?

I think it's called a joke. The internet is a tough place to convey sarcasm.

opitekk said:
i dont believe it because i know there phone calls are recorded. i dont think he'd want to get himself fired and i dont think someone of his status (tech. Help) would know that kind of information, especially not that early on.

Have you never worked technical support for a company before? I worked for bellsouth for a year, in their DSL department. I recall getting trained on how to troubleshoot all the new hardware prior to its release, so that when customer's called in I knew how to assist them. Also not all calls are monitored,But that's a moot point.

It wasn't anything title related so no company would've sued over leaking the info and his comments were vague. He simply stated they were working on it at the time and speculated it being ready this holiday season. I think that instead of disregarding my post as pure BS you should try toning it down to mere skepticism?

Think of it like this..the PS2 had the technology for dvd-playback,and that alone was enough at the time to draw in many customers, now such technology is commonplace. We expect no less from the current generation.

Seeing as how Ninty avoided DVDs at the time b/c the technology was still too pricey for them to mass produce and wasn't perfected yet, many people were really upset that the Cube never had the ability to play movies.
The sad thing is the hardcore gamer doesn't care about watching movies on his play station, he/she wants to play the games. but the casual gamers seem to rule the market currently and they always want more versatile equipment in their homes.
So take the easy-to pick-up interface of the wii, couple it with the added function of basic dvd playback and there is yet another reason for soccer moms and dads to want to get a wii for the family.

And that is Ninty's goal now to become not the dominant console in the market but simply a household device that 9 out of every 10 families use and enjoy. And if sticking a plain vanilla DVD-Rom into a hot selling console for a marginal fee and bundling it in with a cleverly designed plastic shell (wii-zapper anyone?) for your wii-motes and a few simple titles, if doing just that can increase their market audience I think they're more than willing to invest in the technology.

Lastly, consider the cost in doing this. Right now on newegg.com you can get a new dvd-rom for roughly $20. So they aren't that expensive. And then if you break down the wii, and the remote you learn that really none of the parts cost too much, that is why its the cheapest of the 3 on the market. It's cheap enough to where Ninty makes a few bucks on every console they sell as opposed to Sony who is banking the majority of their income off prospective blu-ray sales. So tack on another $20-something dollars to manufacturing cost and then mark up the console enough to cover the difference touting the hell out of your "new and improved" product and you've just sold another few thousand consoles right there.

Enough with my rambling..point is we wait and see.

It may just be the Wii jacket covers, since their release would probably result in the theoretical recall of any unsold units using the old SKU. Using a new SKU makes it possible for retailers to locate any units to be returned for repackaging, since units are usually inventory tracked by the SKU. Thus, it makes it possible to locate the units simply by looking up the old SKU.

No I say theoretical, since there probably aren't any unsold units out there that will have to be returned.

I believe you EL Mushroom, adding dvd playback would be easy enough to do, and would make it a more attractive buy to many people, reped

new sku linked to "Wii play 'n learn"

Update: Feeding the UPC provided by Codename Revolution into the 'UPC Database' yields a listing for "Wii Play N' Learn." More edutainment?
Didn't see that coming. Looks like everyone was wrong.

I smell vaporware.

Back