Its bound to happen

Nes- Nes2
Snes- Snes2
GB- GB Pocket
N64-N64 DD
DS- DS lite
GBA- GBA SP- GBA SP2- GBA Micro
Wii- ???

Of course the GC never had a successor (exept for the gold DVD GC rumored to have been released in Japan)
Or the GBC

I think that you're right of course - the Wii will be reincarnated at some point but does anyone genuinely think that there are anything that really needs genuinely updating apart from colour scheme additions less than 14 months in?

At least with the DS they increased the screen brightness - the form factor was mainly cosmetic.

rainy day, wtf? its like 100 degrees outside.

but, this is isn't exactly new. we've heard that a new will with dvd playback and all sorts of colors "might" come out late 2007, so what's the point of this?

I vote dvd playback and personally would love to have it. An update for standard dvd's seems like a simple enough thing to pull off (a simple addition of a dvd channel). Why not have one console instead of 7 and a dvd player? Keeping things thinned down is much better in my book. The colors thing is almost a certain addition to a new version, it just makes so much sense. Why not boost sales even more?

@Wiibad
A Nintendo Spokeswoman said that something had to be added in to make the Wii able to play DVDs, therefore a firmware update wouldn't be possible to make that happen.

But anyway I already have plenty of DVD's. I have a DVD/VCR player in my Bedroom, 2 PS2's, one DVD/VCR player in my family room, and of course my PS3. I think I'll stick with my PS3 since a recent firmware update allowed it to upscale not only PS1 and PS2 games, but also DVDs to 1080P.

Last edited:
Revan said:
@Wiibad
A Nintendo Spokeswoman said that something had to be added in to make the Wii able to play DVDs, therefore a firmware update wouldn't be possible to make that happen.
Cite your source. The GC (and therefore Wii) are able to play many video formats from linux which are stored on DVDs. There is only ONE reason the Wii wouldn't be able to play standard DVD movies and thats multi layer support. If you were to re-encode a DVD to a single layer DVD I can see no reason the Wii couldn't play it.

That said I don't think single layer capable hardware exists. The optics in the Wii are essentially off the shelf parts. The only reason the Wii wouldn't support double layer discs is firmware on the drive or the software on the Wii.

If the firmware on the drive is not flashable and doesnt already support double layer discs then yes it would be impossible for the current Wii to play standard movies and Nintendo really fuked up by intentionally crippling the Wii!

i think its possible but not probable. for everyone saying that the wii cannot get a firmware update to be able to play dvd's, i want to know which ones of you have actually opened up the wii to check what hardware's inside.

and i highly doubt that they would release these anytime soon. for now, wii's are still hard to find. by the time they are in stock all the time, metroid and ssbb will be out, which will help sales again. then it'll be christmas time and that'll help sales again. there's no way any of this is released until after 2007, unless they want to release the dvd playback soon so no one complains about it being released later.

personally i think the dvd player is gay but about the different color now that is where its at you can have different colored wiimotes like a black one for your self.

Wh1te_Fang said:
personally i think the dvd player is gay but about the different color now that is where its at you can have different colored wiimotes like a black one for your self.

personally i think the white wii is really the only good one, but i agree black wiimotes would be killer.

Interesting, I like blue so that would be my preference for Wii/Wiimote color.
What about the people who bought a Wii already, like me?

I dont really care about color because I want to get a skin kit for it that looks better than any solid color to me all those people with skinned wii's look sharp I like those :)
As for DVD playback I want that i have a dvd player already but its 1 less remote 1 less thing to worry about when I can just use my wii to do it plus sometimes you take your wii to someones place you would have a movie player there with ya just one of those 2 birds with 1 stone type things. I rather have something and never need it than need it and not have it.

DVD playback don't really care about and also doubt however new colours sounds like a possability to me

Back