New Wii this Autumn?

Colors Ya that cool.. but why DVD playback IM pretty sure almost everone has a DVD player... adn if they don't tobad... there going to intergrade something that the wii just aint capable of... even though the wii is the future it not a powerfull machine it at...caompared to other consoles... and graphic on wii will just give the picture VCH viewing not that great on my opinion...but yes colours should have been intergraded fromthe beggining...

som1 said:
uhh, im pretty sure u cant add dvd play back on excisting wiis because the wii doesnt have the dvd reader
so yeah, i think this is fake
The Wii does have a DVD drive, the Wii can't read DVDs right now because the drive reads Nintendo game DVDs backwards, so the laser mechinism will have to be reversed to read a standard DVD, so the hardware is there, the software isn't though

gamechaser001 said:
The Wii does have a DVD drive, the Wii can't read DVDs right now because the drive reads Nintendo game DVDs backwards, so the laser mechinism will have to be reversed to read a standard DVD, so the hardware is there, the software isn't though
Where does this rumor keep coming from? The same thing was said about the Dreamcast. You can dump Wii ISO's using a standard DVD drive with the correct firmware.

edit: Link removed. Hint - The same method currently used for gamecube games works for Wii games

Last edited:
Duh

som1 said:
uhh, im pretty sure u cant add dvd play back on excisting wiis because the wii doesnt have the dvd reader

The Wii discs are dvds... Even the GC could read dvds if you took it apart and added a mod-chip to tell the laser what to do. Why not with the Wii? It's only telling the Wii how to read it if you update it. There has been talk about a new version of the Wii that can play dvd, but there has been no confirmation from Nintendo. Why would they? You get people to buy Wiis like they are there's no need for a new version when the first still sells. Kinda like with the slim PS2 it was released after the sales from the original died down to stimulate new sales. I'd imagine that's what Nintendo will do if they decide to release a new version of the Wii. It would be nice if some people on these forums would look at a dictionary, use spell check or look at the guy above you who does know how to spell (like me :) ) :lol: :lol:

It's like they announce a 1080p version...

But a DVD upgrade would be awesome.

i am more concerned about replacing the wii i have now with one of these new ones and having to purchase all of my VC all over again. is it possible to keep them?

ummmmm

som1 said:

ummmmmmmmmmmm what do you think Wii games are on? 4 gig compact discs?

edit... sorry this has prob been said 100 times.. just didnt read the whole thread :( Dont kill me....

Last edited:
ciper said:
Where does this rumor keep coming from? The same thing was said about the Dreamcast. You can dump Wii ISO's using a standard DVD drive with the correct firmware.

edit: Link removed. Hint - The same method currently used for gamecube games works for Wii games
Okay, so it's an embedded code in the BCA barcode that holds encryption information, that was not the point I was bringing up, the point I was bringing up was "som1" said that the Wii could not play DVDs because the Wii did not have a DVD mechinism, which we both know is false because the Wii games are recorded onto DVDs, so the hardware is there but the software (or extra hardware) is not

som1 said:

no your wii's game format is on dual layer dvd if im correct and they could easly add a firmware update to enable it as a dvd player , even tho i will probably pick up my wii sometime on the weekend regardless of this news

i also think the same......discs with games are also like dvds and they also contain trailers and so on like a movie.....wii might play dvd's in the future.....

anyway....everyone has at least a dvd, pc or ps2 for dvd players...:p

Last edited:
DVD playback is usless to me. If they made it blu-ray like PS3 or even HD then it would be better but then that would add serious ££££ to the cost. I dont use the DVD on my PS2 so i wouldnt on my wii. As for Colour it dosnt bother me. Unless they brough a pink one out. LOL, i wuld just buy a skin or a new casing when my warrenty ran out.

SixStringedStress said:
i am more concerned about replacing the wii i have now with one of these new ones and having to purchase all of my VC all over again. is it possible to keep them?

I dont want to burst your bubble or anything but didnt they say they are discontinuing the wii cuz the stores aint keepin up in demands for them or is that just a lie?

because quit frankly i hope wii dont get discontinued i still dont have 1 yet.

Back