New Wii with DVD playback?

There probably will be, but alas its still a rumor and no date has been set.

I know that. I was wondering if anyone here had heard any update. I've not had my ear to the ground for this kind of thing and now I'm planning on buying a Wii and google is giving me nothing.

Probably never happen, but is possible...pretty sure that's all anybody knows right now. You may not wanna wait to buy one just for this though, because if it does happen it probably won't be anytime soon.

Damascus said:
People call it a RUMOR for a reason... It's unknown if it's true or not, therefore it's unknown if it'll be released at all.
Last year ign had posted that Sometime after Summer 07 wii would get DVD play back, so it is a Rumor...i would go and try to find that post but i way to damn Lazy to do it

Won't be of interest to me, thats why I have s Sony dvd player!

DVD player is not a big deal.

But I wondering if they'll change add/fix things with a new revision.

It's still a rumour but it has been stated that if there is a wii with DVD playback it will only be released in Japan at this stage.

Our Wii already plays DVD... i don't get why ppl don't get that.... all the Wii needs to play DVD movies is a firmware update.... i don't get why you ppl don't get that.. i mean... it has been posted several million times....

Last edited:
That would be correct. The Wii simply reads the discs backwards. That is why, as of now, it is incompatible with standard DVD's. Regular DVD's are written differently than Wii DVD games.

If you mod your wii cant you watch dvd's with it? Cause if thats the case it is actually capable of watching dvd's, and just needs an update.

Modding it yes but a firmware update, it may not be that simple. The drive would have to be capable of spinning the disc the opposite way as well as read the data normally. Firmware may correct the lense to read the data but without hardware changes it would not matter.

Back