Processors:
o IBM PowerPC “Broadway” CPU :
o ATI “Hollywood” GPU :
* Memory:1T-SRAM and DRAM
o 512 MB built-in expandable flash memory
* Ports and Peripherals:
o Two USB 2.0 ports.
o Wireless controllers.
o a single proprietary output for video and audio.
o 4 Nintendo GameCube controller ports and 2 Nintendo GameCube memory card ports (for compatibility).
o Optional USB PC-compatible 802.11b wireless router.
* Media:
o Slot loading optical disc drive compatible with both 12 cm and 8 cm proprietary optical discs (again, for GameCube compatibility) as well as standard DVD discs. The proprietary optical discs will hold 4.7 GB (single layered) and 8.5 GB (double layered).
o 2 front loading SD memory card slots.
o Nintendo has announced that the Revolution will have a content ratings system in its console, having age restrictions as follows: PEGI 3+, 7+, 12+, 16+,18+, and ESRB EC, E, E10+, T, M, and AO.
* Networking:
o Wi-Fi by the Broadcom Corporation:
+ Built-in 802.11b & 802.11g support.
o No Ethernet port built-in, though Iwata has mentioned that a USB-attachment Ethernet port peripheral will be released, though no further information is known.
* The final version will be smaller than the prototype presented E³, which was described as being “about the size of three stacked standard DVD cases”.

Just for clarification, the Gamecube disc is also based on proprietary Nintendo technology, just because it looks like a mini CD, doesn't mean its tracks and sectors are formed the same.

Case dismissed.

Last edited:
xbandaidx said:
Nintendo Wii specs

Processors:
o IBM PowerPC “Broadway” CPU :
o ATI “Hollywood” GPU :
* Memory:1T-SRAM and DRAM
o 512 MB built-in expandable flash memory
* Ports and Peripherals:
o Two USB 2.0 ports.
o Wireless controllers.
o a single proprietary output for video and audio.
o 4 Nintendo GameCube controller ports and 2 Nintendo GameCube memory card ports (for compatibility).
o Optional USB PC-compatible 802.11b wireless router.
* Media:
o Slot loading optical disc drive compatible with both 12 cm and 8 cm proprietary optical discs (again, for GameCube compatibility) as well as standard DVD discs. The proprietary optical discs will hold 4.7 GB (single layered) and 8.5 GB (double layered).
o 2 front loading SD memory card slots.
o Nintendo has announced that the Revolution will have a content ratings system in its console, having age restrictions as follows: PEGI 3+, 7+, 12+, 16+,18+, and ESRB EC, E, E10+, T, M, and AO.
* Networking:
o Wi-Fi by the Broadcom Corporation:
+ Built-in 802.11b & 802.11g support.
o No Ethernet port built-in, though Iwata has mentioned that a USB-attachment Ethernet port peripheral will be released, though no further information is known.
* The final version will be smaller than the prototype presented E³, which was described as being “about the size of three stacked standard DVD cases”.

Case dismissed.

there you go... the facts, written on pixelated LCD screen

Software update would be excellent, you can buy DVD players for $20, so it's not worth buying a new one, but I take my xbox to my cottage, and I plan on taking the wii this year.

Apparently there was an error in that post. Theres 1 SD card port, not 2. Unless I still haven't found mine.

Yes it will be a software update, for example on a normal computer you build, and I have build some, just because you install a DVD drive doesn't mean you can watch DVD movies. You need software to do it first, and that software will contain codecs which is basically the information the computer uses to decode DVD movie content.

Last edited:
I am pretty positive you will need to buy a new wii. They are just talking about the DVD player software application that the wii will use.

Apparently there was an error in that post. Theres 1 SD card port, not 2. Unless I still haven't found mine.

There's two. I think the second ones somewhere on the back. (Unless im wrong, which i probably am. mii no have wii. hahahahahaha sry bad humor)

Why would you need a new Wii for DVD? It already has a DVD drive, a simple Wii Ware update and it will be unlocked.

I checked the back, theres only one SD slot.

xbandaidx said:
Why would you need a new Wii for DVD? It already has a DVD drive, a simple Wii Ware update and it will be unlocked.

Because the drive in the wii reads the discs in reverse from how dvd movies are written.

firmware update can fix that. its all programming, its the firmware that tells the system to read the discs backward, its not like they have some special drive that spins backwards.

wasn't it already released that they will be selling a different wii for a higher cost that will support dvd playback?

I don't have a link but I am pretty sure reggie or someone made this statement prior to the launch.

Back