new wii

lerkeo

WiiChat Member
Dec 12, 2007
uk
Wii Online Code
5669-5669-5669-5669
hi i have just got myself a wii , read the manual and it went straight in my head then out again ( got more confused ) Is it ok to leave a disc in when not playing or when the console is turned off , and when i start a game should the console be turned off or on before i put a disc in , thanks lerkeo... ( new to this thing )

Keeping a disc inside your Wii while the console is not in use and or off should be fine. You just have to remember that you've left the disc inside the console.

thanks syntax for the quick replies happy holidays to you to

This is just a general statement on my part... Ever since consoles have been invented it's not really been a good idea to keep any game in the console period. I don't do it and my drives have just about never died. Just take it out when you're done with it, trust me, it's a good habit to get into.

chakan said:
This is just a general statement on my part... Ever since consoles have been invented it's not really been a good idea to keep any game in the console period. I don't do it and my drives have just about never died. Just take it out when you're done with it, trust me, it's a good habit to get into.
THANKS FOR THAT MATE.....

chakan - what do you base that on? I leave discs in every type of drive I have - car CD player, home CD disc changer, DVD player, computer DVD and CD drives, games consoles and I've never had a drive die either. Just because you take the discs out of your drives and they don't die doesn't meet they don't die because you takes the discs out...

I think Chakan believes that when a disc is in the system when it's on, the Wii may be doing occasional disc reads, hence causing the mechanical portion of the disc drive to wear out. The truth is, the disc drive will only read the disc once and shouldn't need to read from the disc again until accessed. Also disc drives don't spin when they are not being read from, so leaving the disc in when the system is at the Wii menu (or even paused in game) the disc drive probably isn't spinning.

When the system is off, and there is a disc in, there shouldn't be a problem. Even if the Wii is dropped, there should be no damage to the disc because it will never be spinning when the system is off.

its not about the actual disk drive its more about the lens. it tells you right there in the manual. it tells you that in all video game console manuals including dvd player manuals. When you leave the disk in the light sometimes reflects off of the disk and can damage the lens, and some other technical things it was talking about. also when you move a console with a disk in it you run the risk of scratching the disk or the lens, and messing up the disk balance. Its all right there in the manual.

about the disk spinning when its on i don't know when i have a disk in and im on the wii menu it sounds like its spinning to me. when i take the disk out it doesnt make the noise any more.

I leave mine in all of the time, cause I know I will be going back to it and playing it real shortly :lol:

But there's no trouble with leaving it in, it won't cause any harm.

If light can reflect into the laser when its off, the same can occur when its on and spinning. I really don't see how light reflecting into something that projects light itself could hurt it. Perhaps if the light melted it, but the chance of that is ultra slim. You should be fine if the system is off leaving the disc in.

Unless of course you are moving it, then it is correct that it is still possible to scratch the disc etc.

Back