manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
New Xbox 360 Guts "Opus" and "Valhalla"

thumb463x_xbox360.jpg

Microsoft is an Operation fan, toying around with the 360's guts from time to time to make them cooler, quieter or more reliable. Seattle PI's Jacob Metcalf says they have to more new motherboards in the works: "Opus" and "Valhalla." Opus is basically a more reliable Falcon motherboard (w/ 65nm CPU) designed to fit in first-gen 360s, while Valhalla has a single super-chip that hybridizes the CPU and GPU. What's the reason for both?

The Xenon 360s had a ridiculous fail rate (as many of you know), so Microsoft has a ton of old boxes for that motherboard lying around—rather than piss off Greenpeace and dump them in a landfill, the re-jiggered Opus mobo offers a recycling solution. Unlike Falcon, no HDMI though. You'll probably get one if you send your RROD'd first-gen box back to Microsoft.

Valhalla's merged CPU/GPU would only need a single cooling system, which would make it a lot quieter, and probably more reliable. Plus, as Metcalf points out, these guts are going to be a lot cheaper to pump out, so we might see cheaper 360s. It'll be in 360s in around 2009.

Source:http://gizmodo.com/356985/new-xbox-...d-boxes-merge-cpu-and-gpu-for-super+quietness

Valhalla is a year from now, but the Opus seems pretty promising.

Last edited:
i heard of this. Too bad i have one already(My brother actually has it)

Well might get one when they start using it, I'm tired of the problems I keep having with my current box.

Even sooner than both the Jasper set may induce another price drop as the Falcon chipset did not too long ago. Dual 65nm cpu/gpu chips would cut costs and it should make it more reliable.

Last edited:
Back