Newbie question about game saving

lizbit

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hello, I apologize in advance for asking what is probably a dumb question, but my husband is ready to chuck the wii and we've only had it for a week.

When we've played Super Mario Galaxy and Manhunt, we have a problem saving our progress in the game. In Mario Galaxy, we get several stars past the "rabbits on acid" as we like to call it. And then we save, and when we resume the game, we start back at those da*n rabbits on acid again. Essentially the same thing happens with Manhunt - we play it for a while and then save, and when we "reload" the saved game, it brings us back to a point much earlier than where we saved. It's pretty frustrating.

We don't have any problems with our high scores or anything with wii games.

Is this a "feature" of the wii, or are we missing something?

thank you for your help.
Liz

i think (im not sure) that on galaxy, you have to complete a level in full before you can save. it's probably the same case with Manhunt

Merry Christmas!

Im not sure I ever had a problem with saving my game on SMG. But on Manhunt, I seem to turn off the game before check points. That could be an answer to Manhunt 2.(unless you save at the start menu) But on SMG I honestly never had problems. Are you saving games frequently and is the Wii saying your save was successful. If so the only other problem would be full memory ( whitch I know you dont have) or a manufacturing problem.You might have to exchange it.

Wamoo said:
Im not sure I ever had a problem with saving my game on SMG. But on Manhunt, I seem to turn off the game before check points. That could be an answer to Manhunt 2.(unless you save at the start menu) But on SMG I honestly never had problems. Are you saving games frequently and is the Wii saying your save was successful. If so the only other problem would be full memory ( whitch I know you dont have) or a manufacturing problem.You might have to exchange it.

Hello, and thank you. So, on SMG do you save and resume from anywhere, or do you do it at each level, like the prior poster suggested? If you are able to save and resume from anywhere, I'm guessing that we might have to return the wii as defective? I just want to make sure that this behavior is not by design before we do that.

On Manhunt, are you saying that you turn off the game before checkpoints, so you don't resume from where you left off?

Thanks again!
liz

On Super Mario Galaxy, what method are you using to save? The Auto-save feature that asks you if you want to save after a star, or the "Press the + or - button and hit quit" method? If you use the autosave at the end of a star, you shouldn't have any problems at all. The only thing I can think of is that you went through a star half-way or whatever, then used the "Press the + or - button and hit quit" method. If you did quit in the middle of a star, you can't restart at the same point, you have to start the star all over again.

As for manhunt, I can't help as I've never actually played this game myself.

lizbit said:
Hello, and thank you. So, on SMG do you save and resume from anywhere, or do you do it at each level, like the prior poster suggested? If you are able to save and resume from anywhere, I'm guessing that we might have to return the wii as defective? I just want to make sure that this behavior is not by design before we do that.

On Manhunt, are you saying that you turn off the game before checkpoints, so you don't resume from where you left off?

Thanks again!
liz

Ya I was able to save after I won a level on SMG (when the wii asked you to save) and save freely.(save at the pause menu), and my data would be fine. With Manhunt I only saved at checkpoints, but sometimes I mistook parts of the game as checkpoints, and turned off my Wii. Thinking I saved the game. (that was my fault) I just thought maybe you did the same. If you have been saving your games successfully. (and you sound like you are) and the data is still not reloading, then you have a problem with your Wii. I would think it would be the games fault, but considering 2 of your games have this problem.I'd say its your Wii. And if you do exchange it, you'll get your money back and just buy another. No biggie.

Hope I helped :)

Back