Next Gen Wars

Hybrid

:chuckle:
Dec 13, 2006
Now this thread is about DEBATING (not just screaming like a little ignorant child "PS3 sucks!" and not actaully have a good reason)on the subject of how the next gen wars are going and why are they going this way?
the following questions are the ones we will be using in this thread.
1.why is the ps3 losing so badly,can it have a come-back??
2.Is the wii doing so well because of motion sensing?
3.Was nintendo dumb because they did not try to copy xbox live?
4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?
5.Is ps3 a failure only because of it's price?
6.If the ps3 had a lower price would the 360 be done for?
7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors
8.Who will win? why?

Now when i can see that the subject;for example:question 1 is not working so i will say when we switch to topic 2 alright?
Ok happy debating!

(PS:if the question has "why" than must say why)
NO flaming!

may question number 1 commence!!!
why is the ps3 losing so badly,can it have a come-back??

Last edited:
The PS3 Is everything a consumer doesnt want..expensive..HUGE..complicated and focused on one audience
The wii does so well because it fulfills all of the above reasons and is imaginative.3.Was nintendo dumb because they did not try to copy xbox live?
Nintendo have got their own thing coming and if it takes that long to bring it in then obviously we're in for a treat4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?
They should make a 360 with the wireless adapter built in
No as mentioned somewhere up there
COMPLETELY. The ps3 is sick in some ways but the main let downs are its sizze and the price.7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors
No a gaming console is originally made for gaming, if u want multimedia then buy a pc.
8.Who will win? why?

Nintendo, they have ticked every criteria for a good console apart from hd. But you can buy hd cables to bring a near enough experience.
The Xbox 360 second because of the wireless adapter and also its prices and it makes TOO MUCH DAMN NOISE.
The PS3 third becuase of its prices and its hugeosity. Also its games are 50 pounds each......

mk_south_london said:
The PS3 Is everything a consumer doesnt want..expensive..HUGE..complicated and focused on one audience
The wii does so well because it fulfills all of the above reasons and is imaginative.3.Was nintendo dumb because they did not try to copy xbox live?
Nintendo have got their own thing coming and if it takes that long to bring it in then obviously we're in for a treat4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?
They should make a 360 with the wireless adapter built in
No as mentioned somewhere up there
COMPLETELY. The ps3 is sick in some ways but the main let downs are its sizze and the price.7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors
No a gaming console is originally made for gaming, if u want multimedia then buy a pc.
8.Who will win? why?

Nintendo, they have ticked every criteria for a good console apart from hd. But you can buy hd cables to bring a near enough experience.
The Xbox 360 second because of the wireless adapter and also its prices and it makes TOO MUCH DAMN NOISE.
The PS3 third becuase of its prices and its hugeosity. Also its games are 50 pounds each......
the 360 does'nt make that much noise you don't notce it when your playing a game.but any how on with the debate.

oh hell yes it does.
If you got the premium package and are playing something like cod3 or nfs carbon its shakes my whole set.
And i cant play it in the night because it wakes up my sister

theres an article in EGM on why the ps3 did so bad. Might want to look into it.

good points there mk, im not convinced with point 6...

i think when it boils down to it, the ps3 and 360 are gonna give you the same thing. the computer games we all know and love (plus new ones obviously) that look fantastic graphically, simply because they are both very powerful systems.

true the ps3 is more powerful, but it isnt gonna make a difference, like if you are listening to an mp3 at 192kbps for example, listening at a higher bitrate is pointless, you cant actually tell the difference, it just takes up more space, like the ps3 comparison...

Ultimately is will all come down to the selection of games the system has to offer.

Hybrid said:
the 360 does'nt make that much noise you don't notce it when your playing a game.but any how on with the debate.

it does, mine makes about twize the sound of my computer that don't even got the cabinet door on it. when i use normal sound i cant hear many of the words because the sound from the 360 over do it.

Probz because of its too expensive
Well I would of got it even if it didnt have it, but the motion sensor attracts non-gamers
They might :p
4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?
Yeah they should bring down the price
Most likely
Nah, the 360 would still win over the PS3
No
8.Who will win? why?
It will take a while, but soon the Wii will overtake the 360

The price, mainly. I'd sure as heck get a PS3 if it was about 300 bucks cheaper. But if they had a price cut, down to 400, they could expect sales spikes.

I believe it's doing so well because it brings new stuff to the table. AND it has something for everyone. And majorly, a $250 price tag.

Well, we'll have to see how the Wii's online deal works out.

I can't honestly asnwer. I don't know what it is.

It isn't out of the running yet~ But yes, that's a key contributor.

Not done for, but given a run for its money.

7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors.
Depends. A major selling point of the Wii was it's price. Multimedia stuffs would cost more.. I'm not too sure.

8.Who will win? why?
I think the Wii, but because I Like it. I havn't played the others. So my opinion is null right here~

It hasnt been released world-wide yet unlike the Wii and 360 so sales figures are going to be scewed.

Its a pretty innovative design that many gamers like myself have found appealing. The majority of 360/PS3 games i can also get on my pc, and thats always been my prefered platform.

Wii offers something different i just want more games developed for use with the wii-mote rather then being standard games with the motion sensing part "tacked on".

Something similar to xbox live would be great but again we need games that will support multiplayer. A year from now i'd hope that we'd have something like that.

Im not going to argue with anything being cheaper :p

Be fair now... would you judge a marathon when one runner has been on the track for over a year, another running for almost four months and the third not even fully out of the starting blocks?

Without a doubt the price of the PS3 is major put off for some people. But then again if you want any technology when it just comes out you are going to be paying a premium.

This im very surprised about. It would have given the Wii extra living room value. Even just being like a standard DVD/DivX player would have only made the Wii sell more.

8.Who will win? why?

The way i see it for two to three years at least the Wii will be able to compete with the 360 and PS3. And that kind of reflects the philosophy of the three manufacturers for their respective consoles, Microsoft & Sony have made theirs to be the gaming consoles for the next decade while with the Wii, without doubt we will see a "Wii 2" with full HD support in a few years time.

So who will win?

Gamers go where the games are. So ultimately whoever can produce the best games will win.

Last edited:
Hybrid said:

Mainly it's the price of the PS3. $500 for the mormal version and $600 for the "real" version. The sales have a ratio of 4:1. 4 - Wii, 1 - PS3. Over 4 million Wiis have sold, and over 1 million PS3s have sold. That is a big difference.

Will the PS3 come back? Eventually there is a chance but the odds are completely against it. Sony is counting on the PS3 for most of it's sales. If the PS3 doen't jump back, Sony is gone.

Price, Blu-Ray and software support are perhaps the main contributor to the problem. As of right now, there are very few titles available and there isn't a true console-selling title for the PS3. In addition, Blu-Ray is not well known among the general consumers, and the format war is clearly not over yet. Will PS3 have a come-back? Absolutely. Once the software support builds up and more HDTVs are introduced to general consumers living rooms, then the PS3 will shine. As far as the HD-DVD VS. Blu-Ray format, I believe both formats are here to stay for a while, and we are just going to see the rise of dual-format players. Besides, judging by the support Blu-Ray is getting, I think HD-DVD will have a hard time winning anyway.

Wii is doing well mainly due to its innovations and low price tag. Nintendo really out done themselves this time around by aiming at all market segments; whether if it is a 7 year old child or a 67 year old grandfather, people of all ages and skill level can get together and play the Wii. I believe the main selling point of the Wii is its playability through its innovative use of the gyroscopic motion sensing technology.

Absolutely not. Why would they need to copy xBox live right now, did you see the sales numbers the Wii is putting up right now? There is a general rule to business, if you have a cash cow (Wii) on your hands, you keep that formula and make the most out of it. Once the supply meets the demand a little better, Nintendo will more rapidly introduce new features to the Wii in order to keep the sales figures up.

I don't think the price for the wireless adaptor really matters for the general consumer, if they really wanted it, they would have bought it already. Although a wired connection is always better than wireless. I have heard rumors about Microsoft making a new 360, but I don't believe it is true. Although the 360 lacks in technology when compared to the PS3, but making a brand new system will only anger the existing 360 crowd and make software distribution more complicated. The bottleneck for 360 in a few years are its media format and the lack of HDMI support. However, it is possible to output 1080p signals through component or VGA, the only limiting factors are the ACCP / HDCP regulations and the HDTV's signal processor. As far as the media format go, Microsoft will not switch from DVD9 to HD-DVD, simply due to the fact that there are over 10 million 360s sold that only support DVD9s.

See answer one...

Hard to say at this stage. I would have to vote No though. Microsoft is a huge corporation, with the success of the 360 and a massive amount of software support under its belt, I doubt the 360 will sink, although it may have a slightly shorter life span than the PS3. However, the longer Sony waits for that price cut, the more customers Sony will lose to Microsoft, and in turn more software support will be lost.

7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors?

It would be nice if the Wii can play DVDs, but I don't think it matters to the end users at this point, perhaps in the future Nintendo will release a DVD enabled Wii. From Nintendo's perspective, Wii should not do anything else but play games, as it is the only console that is making money straight out of the box, and maximizing the profit is the primary goal of every company.

8.Who will win? why?

Wii will come out on top. Simply because Nintendo is aiming at a broader market segment than both Sony and Microsoft, and when a low priced and innovative product is targeting more people in different market segments, it will end up attracting more consumers.

As far as Microsoft and Sony goes, they are competing in the same market segment, who will come out on top is hard to say right now. I believe if they get their acts straight and survive this year, then over time, Sony will overtake Microsoft simply due to its more future-proof technology and the Playstation brand name. However, the next few months will be critical to Sony, if the arrogance continues, then they will end up with a bronze medal this time around.

i owning all three

wii + ps3 + 360....i play the wii the most...then the 360 with online play and the ps3 the least..(mainly for blueray movies on our new tv...)

only reason really why i got a ps3 cause of the blue ray and so i could get rid of the ps2, and ps1! it saved space

The PS3 is failing almost entirely due to its price, if Nintendo can garner enough 3rd party support to keep all of its demographic happy with the games that it brings out then there is no way back for Sony as far as im concerned, i've always bought Sony, but i love my Wii and if they can bring out enough top quality titles in a variety of genres then for me there is no need to spend all that cash on the new PS

Back