Nintendo Aware Of Mod Chips

WiiGod

WiiChat Member
Nov 30, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
3258-9028-1778-7785
Perhaps you are not familiar with mod chips, but nevertheless we would like to draw your attention to some important information.

Modification microchips (mod chips) circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install a mod chip into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components.

The use of mod chips voids the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, the installation of a mod chip can damage the functionality of a Nintendo console, sometimes rendering it incapable of repair. Mod chips have been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Most European countries have also already adopted laws prohibiting the circumvention of technological measures for copyright protection. People caught installing or selling mod chips may be subject to criminal charges.

This is taken from the Nintendo Of Europe official site, this shows that they are aware of them and they are warning us, to me it seems like they are in full control and are warning us before they inforce updates that screw up your system. That's my opinion on what they should do.

Byuakuya said:
Nice way to warm the people of thier coming fate.
Yeah, I personly wouldn't bother getting a Mod Chip in any console that connects to the internet, simply because they are always in control.

WiiGod said:
Yeah, I personly wouldn't bother getting a Mod Chip in any console that connects to the internet, simply because they are always in control.
I haven't modded any console that I have bought and I don't intend to begin anytime soon.

Earthworm Jim said:
heh. what? you didnt think they knew about modchips?

It's not so much that, I'm letting the people who think that Nintendo don't know about them also the people that think they can get away with it and the people that are looking into modding their Wii that Nintendo are aware and that you should think twice before modding because I think they are in full control of ou Wii with online updates + Games that they release can also update your system I believe (like on PSP).

WiiGod said:
It's not so much that, I'm letting the people who think that Nintendo don't know about them also the people that think they can get away with it and the people that are looking into modding their Wii that Nintendo are aware and that you should think twice before modding because I think they are in full control of ou Wii with online updates + Games that they release can also update your system I believe (like on PSP).
I think they knew of this from the beginning. The system updates are a great way to ensure that your modded wii gets screwed over.

Yeah I think they have to always be aware of companies trying to help users scam the "system" to proft themselves. However not they have released this statement, as I have said I think it' warning and wanted to post it here.

WiiGod said:
Yeah I think they have to always be aware of companies trying to help users scam the "system" to proft themselves. However not they have released this statement, as I have said I think it' warning and wanted to post it here.
I am assuming its a future event. "It will happen unless people stop modding" sort of thing.

Meh if only Nintendo whould lets us play us/jap games on a uk console then we whouldnt need to get it chipped
I am aware that people also use it for bootlegs but there scum

Well, glad I didn't mod and I feel sorry for the people who bought the mods. But maybe the mod developers will update the console with updates that override the Nintendo updates?

Mod chips are not inherently evil. For example you are legally aloud to make one copy for a CD that you own for back-up purposes. I personally do this myself since you can never be too careful. Creating a system that disallows any form of backing up the program is quite annoying, when people discover ways of doing this by circumventing the system it can indeed be used for piracy but it can also be used for safety's sake.

Or sometimes people mod their consoles in order to be able to play games that are region locked. While in some cases this could be considered illegal it isn't necessarily wrong. You can buy games that are not out in your area and pay to have them imported. You should not also be forced to buy an entirely new console.

Or even homebrew. That is a feature many people enjoy but when a console does not officially support it there isn't much you can do. Homebrew isn't wrong it is just someone being creative.

While there are illegal uses for the chip there are also perfectly legal and proper ways to use the chip aswell. Classifying the chip as inherently evil is like labeling all nuclear power as evil. Sure it can hurt many people and do horrible things but it also has the potential for great good.

i find it funny when they say its illigal. they are just saying that to scare people from buying them. they are 100% legal if they are sold without any sort of software on them. for example, the xbox1 modchips ive bought never came with anything on them (well the Xenium did but that was the chips OS that did not "hack" the xbox at all). you had to download the files and flash the chip yourself . im assuming its the same way with these chips. if they were illegal than the site that sell them would be shut down (the ones that dont sell out of china that is)

Back