Nintendo Clarifies 'No Full DS Games for Download'

zapasant

Where is your god now?
Aug 13, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
2887-9874-6238-6951
yup, like the title said, it was all a misunderstanding
A recent New York Times article featuring an interview with Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime indicated that in the near future Nintendo may offer "complete games" for the DS to download via the Wii. As it turns out, however, the Times got this wrong. It also got Fils-Aime's name wrong... twice.

GameDaily BIZ today received a clarification statement from Nintendo, which reads as follows:

"An article about the Nintendo DS video game system in the December 31 Business Day section (of the NYT) incorrectly referred to future capabilities of the device. The statement that complete Nintendo DS games will eventually be able to be downloaded into the device via a wireless connection with the company's Wii game console is incorrect. Users can download games to play on Wii, and, in the future, the Nintendo DS will be able to receive demo versions of some DS games from Wii, but not the entire game. The demo will be erased once the Nintendo DS is turned off."

source

anyone dissapointed?

it is slightly dissapointing but i was trying to figure out how they were going to work that out anyway.

I always knew it wasn't a full game. I thought everyone knew it was just a demo.

Im just mad that it gets deleted when you turn the DS off. Does that mean you have to re-download it everytime?

Last edited:
IMO hardly surprising as any attempt to make software available in download in any format for purposes other than demo would be open to abuse. Dissapointed - yes, understand the reasons why - yes.

iOwnage said:
I always knew it wasn't a full game. I thought everyone knew it was just a demo.

ya everyone thought the same, but then a couple days ago, an article was released that they were "full versions", but it was just clarified that it was a misunderstanding

not dissapointed at all....I really don't care... downloading demos is cool enough! I just a Wii hard drive and then we could download wii demos 2! :D

JAKE196 said:
He never knows what the hell he's saying. . . . I don't listen to him much anymore.

um, was that directed at me?

zapasant93 said:
yup, like the title said, it was all a misunderstanding

source

anyone dissapointed?

In the article it says that you can download games to play on the wii. is that part talking about VC's, or is it talking about actual wii games that we can download off of everybody's nintendo channel?

And zapasant i believe jake was talking about reggie.

The DS does not have enough memory to hold a whole DS game, you would need to buy a seperate cartridge to hold it and that would open the door even more for emulators and people hacking the system, no hardware developer would do that to thier own system.

crazyman2 said:
In the article it says that you can download games to play on the wii. is that part talking about VC's, or is it talking about actual wii games that we can download off of everybody's nintendo channel?

And zapasant i believe jake was talking about reggie.

naaa, its refering about being able to download FULL ds games from the wii , and then transfering them onto the DS

Can't say I am disappointed either, considering I was thinking this would be what it was like anyways. Just don't turn it off :lol:

I don't see the poin of using the Wii as an "inbetween" for DS downloads. It's not like the Wii has enough space for this to be a storage base.

What's the point of the DS having to connect through the Wii and then the Wii connect to the WiFi router and then to the Net? Why not just update the DS so it can get demo's off the Net directly (or does it already?)?

Back