Nintendo finally understanding online?

nic7

Wiichat Member
Aug 22, 2006
Iowa, America
Wii Online Code
8853-1952-9704-6115
With today's Brawl update of not only the ability to make your own stages, but to be able to send them to Nintendo and be featured as the stage of the day really gives me the impression the Nintendo, although way behind their competitors, is finally getting online.

Mix what we know about Brawl, 12 player Mario Kart, the outstanding way Wiiware looks to be coming along, and how Nintendo is almost definitely working on some sort of headset support and Nintendo's online is really getting there.

I actually figured, especially with the lack of online at launch and the sub-par online experiences from their first 2 online offerings, I figured it would take ages before Nintendo would really get what they are doing, but Brawl really, really gives me hope.

With the probable release of an Animal Crossing Wii next year things can really go no where but up. Just with Animal Crossing, like with Brawl, there will be online aspects that we couldn't have dreamed of. Probably crazy upgrades from the DS version mixed with some sort co-op like mode that really blows our minds.

And I think Nintendo finally knows how much consumers hate Friend Codes because it is really illustrated by how they have yet to mention friend codes one single time through Brawl updates even though they have had many times to toss it in there. And I figure eventually Nintendo is going to fix that little issue (Hopefully before the next gen) and Nintendo will be right there. From the early online reviews of Medal of Honor it's proven that online can be done on the Wii (Even though it is EA) Which hopefully means Nintendo can get closer to elminating lag.

If you really look at it, after headset support, and the (hopeful) termination of friend codes, Nintendo will finally be able to duke it out with Sony and Microsoft in online surface.

they actually did mention friend codes. and i read an interview with a nintendo PR guy who said theyre here to stay because people "like them. they like having their game be (weird word like secure or something)" But honestly i would be REALLY surprised if friend codes were in brawl.

I think in time, Wii online will be at its full potential. Right now I think Nintendo is starting to get smarter and hopefully be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

I can't wait for possible headset support and (crossing my fingers) no more friend codes!!

iOwnage said:
I think in time, Wii online will be at its full potential. Right now I think Nintendo is starting to get smarter and hopefully be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

I can't wait for possible headset support and (crossing my fingers) no more friend codes!!

If only headset support could come tomorrow with Battalion Wars II... :scared:

samXcor3 said:
they actually did mention friend codes. and i read an interview with a nintendo PR guy who said theyre here to stay because people "like them. they like having their game be (weird word like secure or something)" But honestly i would be REALLY surprised if friend codes were in brawl.

Really? I must of missed it. When was it?

EDIT: In all of the excitement of today's update, I must have missed the talk of registering both a smash and a wii friend to send them maps. Still, I guess it doesn't specify what registering your smash friend means. So, friend codes haven't been confirmed quite yet.

Last edited:
nic7 said:
Really? I must of missed it. When was it?

EDIT: In all of the excitement of today's update, I must have missed the talk of registering both a smash and a wii friend to send them maps. Still, I guess it doesn't specify what registering your smash friend means. So, friend codes haven't been confirmed quite yet.

the first online update

mushroomedmario said:
the first online update

Nice try, in the first update in only says registering friend's names. If anything it hints that there won't be friend codes. But, good effort.

wi-fi01_070918b-l.jpg

it clearly shows friend codes, i don't see what you're talking about that it hints that there won't be any....but, good effort

"Also, if you’ve finished registering someone as both a Wii Friend and a Smash friend, you’ll be able to send custom stages to each other."

still doesn't mention friend codes, but it would certainly seem so.

what i don't understand about friend codes, is why do i have to have 2 for both the game and the system?

and why can't i receive an invitation from somebody to become my friend so we both don't have to enter that long code?

it just does not make sense. i am not going to get raped over the internet, Nintendo.

(btw, i still love you, Nintendo. give me more brawl updates like this one, please.)

mushroomedmario said:
wi-fi01_070918b-l.jpg

it clearly shows friend codes, i don't see what you're talking about that it hints that there won't be any....but, good effort

I wasn't looking at the picture, just read the text. My mistake. But, still...my point was proven. A lot of people overlooked that...which is what nintendo wanted...which means they know we hate friend codes...

Last edited:
Earlier this year a Neo Geo rep said something about making their VC games online playable on the Wii. Prior to the Wii launching Nintendo invested some research into MAME and Kaillera.

Fast forward to now and you can see Nintendo was very serious about online gaming. If Nintendo wants to turn a game like Chrono Trigger into a 1 player game with 4 other people watching online(already possible with Zbattle.net), they can do that. If they want to save replays of games, they can do that. Anything is possible. Now we'll get a better idea what is in store next year. Nintendo's President Iwata said he wants to keep the momentum for the Wii at all costs.

nic7 said:
I wasn't looking at the picture, just read the text. My mistake. But, still...my point was proven. A lot of people overlooked that...which is what nintendo wanted...which means they know we hate friend codes...

Nintendo's not in touch as much as you may think.

Here's a recent quote from Eric Walter, Nintendo's Public Relations manager:
But the way that we think about friend codes is, when folks are online, and they want to play, they typically want to play with their friends. And so, they want to keep it to groups of people they know. We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will.

More here: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=22282

I agree Nic. Nintendo are finally stepping in the right direction in terms of online. SSBB seems to be their flag ship online title, let's hope it all runs smoothly. :yesnod:

Back