Nintendo: 'High-End' graphics in the pipeline?

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Austalian newspaper The Courier News recently managed to squeeze in an interview with Nintendo big wig Shigeru Miyamoto.

The crux of the interview was based around many of the news items im sure everyone is now fully aware of, ie: end of year release date, the wiimote, and Nintendo's ethos of gameplay over graphics.

On the subject of the 'game over graphics' standpoint Miyamoto made an interesting comment:

He said, “A lot of companies are talking about high-definition and graphics and Nintendo thinks graphics are very important too. You have to look at the number of consumers who actually have access to the type of TV that can allow them to enjoy those high-end graphics.

We thought it was too soon to focus on the high-end graphics.”

He also goes on to add, “Maybe a few years down the road then definitely we will probably look in that direction, but at this point in time we thought it better to use technology not to simply try to re-create the same games over again with better graphics but instead to try and do something new and unique.”

^-- true and at the rate tech is adopted widely nintendos followup to the wii (avoiding next-next-gen terminology...) will come at about the time at least 60-75% of households have switched over to hdtv

High-Tech please i don't see the diffrence in it. I have one and WOW. see nothing eye grabbing. Any way in the next 6 years they'll be some type of new TV Technolgy

who remembers back to the launch of the Nintendo 64?
remember how it had the funny AV Connector instead of the oldschool RF unit the SNES had? remember how we all looked for somewhere to plug it into our TVs and AV sockets were nowhere to be found? Now every TV comes defaultly with AV inputs, and in a few years to come every TV manufactured will come with a Hi-Def output by default. A mate of mine had to buy the RF converter for his N64, good days they were

hd tv is more or less just a television signal in another format. and eventually, every tv will recieve it in this format. just like japana has. In japan, you can actually watch television on your ds, because of the format of it over there, sadly, we cant do that just yet.

DRMARIO, I didn't even realize that this was possible and I am living in Japan. I was going to ask you for a source, but then I googled it and found out some more info. Thanks for the tip.

In case anybody else hadn't heard of this, here are some links for your info:

Wikipedia article on 1seg
2006 Spring DS Conference

If you scroll to near the bottom of the second link above, the caption below accompanies the second-to-last picture:

いよいよこの4月から、地上波デジタルのワンセグ放送が始まり、対応する携帯電話機のワンセグ受信対応モデルが登場しつつありますが、このカードは、DSでワンセグ放送を受信可能にして、DSを携帯TVに変身させます。

Translated into English (my translation):

At last, 1seg terrestrial digital broadcasting will begin, and while cellular phone models with compatible receivers are being introduced, this card will make it possible to receive 1seg broadcasts on the DS, transforming the DS into a portable TV.

This "news" is from February 15, 2006, so maybe many of you have heard about it before, but thought I would post just to make it clear.

jerinjapan said:
DRMARIO, I didn't even realize that this was possible and I am living in Japan. I was going to ask you for a source, but then I googled it and found out some more info. Thanks for the tip.

In case anybody else hadn't heard of this, here are some links for your info:

Wikipedia article on 1seg
2006 Spring DS Conference

If you scroll to near the bottom of the second link above, the caption below accompanies the second-to-last picture:

Translated into English (my translation):

This "news" is from February 15, 2006, so maybe many of you have heard about it before, but thought I would post just to make it clear.

Man I'm telling u u have a really good future in this forum great posts

just as long as it's color and at least standard def resolution, providing it's nintendo, I'll buy it. I don't understand the others, you go to someone's house and play Xbox, the goal of the game is to shoot each other. Then you switch to PS2, and shoot at each other; it just looks better. Then you go to 360 and it starts looking preatty damn good, but you're still just shooting at each other.

registerednerd said:
just as long as it's color and at least standard def resolution, providing it's nintendo, I'll buy it. I don't understand the others, you go to someone's house and play Xbox, the goal of the game is to shoot each other. Then you switch to PS2, and shoot at each other; it just looks better. Then you go to 360 and it starts looking preatty damn good, but you're still just shooting at each other.
Thats exactly what I don't like of those 2 and the Xbox has too much kid games... kung fu chaos anyway a lot

xbox 360 on big screen hdtv, not a great improvement, the biggest issue with graphics are the developers, if they dont take the time or its too hard to program for then the game will look horrible, from what I hear wii is the easiest of the new consoles to program for altogether.

I've heard things like that too, and the developing kit is only 2000.00 USD so it's more accessable for small time developers. I heard somewhere that some of it is similar to the GC so many developers already know what they're looking at.

The PS3 could be rediculous to develop for since it's running a lot of brand new and relatively unknown hardware, such as the cell processor and all the other garbage.

yeah im studying for a degree in computer game animation in Brisbane Autralia and this guy that made Destrroy All Humans is Aussie and hes one of the professors and hes buying one of the dev kits as soon as he can find one.

Ezekiel86 said:
who remembers back to the launch of the Nintendo 64?
remember how it had the funny AV Connector instead of the oldschool RF unit the SNES had? remember how we all looked for somewhere to plug it into our TVs and AV sockets were nowhere to be found? Now every TV comes defaultly with AV inputs, and in a few years to come every TV manufactured will come with a Hi-Def output by default. A mate of mine had to buy the RF converter for his N64, good days they were

i had to buy one for my n64, then i had to use it for my gamecube.

i could finally afford a new TV about 2 years ago, and i can use the av connectors!

haha

-KB said:
i had to buy one for my n64, then i had to use it for my gamecube.

i could finally afford a new TV about 2 years ago, and i can use the av connectors!

haha
I rember that but it diddent affect till i got home. I got my N64 for Christmas and i was staying a cravan park

Back