Nintendo Partners With GameSpy

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
In a press release issues today Nintendo have announced their partnership with IGN owned GameSpy.

The partnership will provide multiplayer technology to game publishers developing titles for Nintendo’s Wii video game system.

“This partnership will expand our wireless community of players on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “Millions of Nintendo DS users have already logged on using GameSpy’s technology, and now Wii owners will be able to do the same in a fun and easy-to-use environment.”

“Nintendo has been an invaluable partner and we look forward to expanding our relationship with them in the future,” said Jamie Berger, Senior Vice President of Consumer Products and Technology for IGN Entertainment. “Our goal is to extend our ground-breaking work on the Nintendo DS to provide Wii users with the social, community and multiplayer tools that we believe will expand the online gaming experience to the mass market.”

Pokémon Battle Revolution, the first Wii game to utilize the technology, launches on June 25, with multiplayer features similar to those leveraging GameSpy technology in several Nintendo DS titles.

We get Gamespy and the PS3 has Xfire =/
I DO like online play though Xfire would have been better. I use Xfire :)

Good news I can't wait for online play

I don't really get what any of that means but I'll take your word for it when you say its a good thing. But if someone could clarify...I thought Nintendo had its OWN Online System...why are they partnering up with this group?

MasterJedi2U said:
I don't really get what any of that means but I'll take your word for it when you say its a good thing. But if someone could clarify...I thought Nintendo had its OWN Online System...why are they partnering up with this group?

Well PS3 teamed up with Xfire because on Xfire if an Added friend is on an Online game and you have that game installed you can go to the game he is on by 'Following' him in using Xfire. GameSpy technically does the same so if you work it out.... Easier Online Experience

Gamespy has the infrastructure and features already developed. There are also millions of gamespy users out there who are familiar with it from PC gaming.
I don't really know for sure if this is a good thing, but I think it will be, it should allow the number of features available to ramp up quickly.

I've never had any problems with the gamespy client connection service, It always manages to connect me and my friends to games, however i've played one pc game powered by Gamespy (Dow: Dark crusade) and well, rantings about how awful dark crusade is aside, the ranking updates lagged. No idea whether it was the games fault or gamespy.

GREAT NEWS! I wonder what the interface will look like?

sicario69 said:
what about racinm game online coming out for the wii.therse any?

probably when the next need for speed drop...

General consensus with PC gamers is: Gamespy sucks. Hopefully, it doesn't suck on the Wii and I hope Nintendo creates a great interface with "front end" user names that attach to the friend codes.

to be fair gamespy does suck for PC i dont really use browsing software i tend to use the ones which comes with the games, howeveri do have xfire and have used ASE. however gamespy will obviously be dumed down a little for the wii, and to be fair it is a solid and established program, the lobbies arent too bad, filters are all there, chat rooms, expect the possibilties of ladders tournies etc. imo i think the wii will benefit from gamespy, baring in mind its only the engine being used nintendo will most likely re-do the inferface to match the wii menus and have 'powered by gamespy' in the bottom corner. so at the end of the day its will only be gamespys engine which will be used which is fine.

It does sound good. Does anyone know if that launch date applies to Australia. Is it a worldwide thing?

Mick

Last edited:
Back