Nintendo Power Reviews Brawl

nic7

Wiichat Member
Aug 22, 2006
Iowa, America
Wii Online Code
8853-1952-9704-6115
Nintendo Power said:
I'm ecstatic to report... that Brawl isn't just amazing, and it isn't just one of the best titles on Wii, but it's one of the very best games that Nintendo has ever produced."

The single biggest new addition to Brawl is The Subspace Emissary, a vastly expanded adventure mode that by itself is well worth the price of admission. Just imagine if you'd never heard of the Smash series, but someone told you that nintendo made a side-scrolling action/adventure game starring all of its top characters-you'd flip out, right? And to think, Brawl throws it in as a bonus! I can't stress enough that this mode isn't some fluffed-out afterthought- it's packed with loads of enemies and stage types, offers incredible boss battles, supports two-player co-op, and has lots of classic Nintendo references for long-time fans to geek out over. The cinema scenes are gorgeous and contain a long list of cool and funny moments, and I'm pretty sure that Brawl has more cinemas than all other Nintendo games ever made combined. The Subspace Emissary takes longer than many top stand-alone action games to finish, and even more play value can be found in clearing each stage on harder difficulties."

It's a testmament to the talent of the developers that I even enjoy playing as Diddy Kong- I've always hated that guy."

The game's control feels smoother than Melee's; you're less likely to accidentally jerk a quick character off a ledge. And, being the type of Melee player that never totally clicked with pressing up on the analog stick to jump, the game plays much better for me now that Brawl has the option to make jumps button-only"

Maybe, if I set my mind to it, I could scrounge up some negative things to say about the game, some details that could've used a tiny bit more polish. But against the grand scope of how much Brawl does amazingly well, any other possible concerns would be trivial at best. To deny this game a 10 purely for the sake of shying away from the top of our review scale would be a shameful disservice to one of the greatest gaming achievements in years. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this"

- Chris Slate

Final Score: 10/10
Link

I believe this is one of maybe 4 games to recieve a perfect score from Nintendo Power. Although the review may be slightly bias.. they only gave Galaxy a 9.5. So.. good deal.

A 10? I Would Have Thought As Much With It Bein SSBB!
But I Think There Must Be Some Bad Points On It...There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Game To Me...

well this is all good to here. if mark bozon from ign reviews this game then it wont get a 9.5. simply because he said that this game was not better than galaxy and metroid prime 3 in his opinion. the only issue i have with this game is the clones. but even if the reviews were terrible i doubt it would hold back sales.

nic7 said:
Link

I believe this is one of maybe 4 games to recieve a perfect score from Nintendo Power. Although the review may be slightly bias.. they only gave Galaxy a 9.5. So.. good deal.
Yayy for brawl the only other game that got a 10 (that I knoe of)is Metroid Prime 3 soo I guess we know Brawl is good:D

all you need to do is read these forums to know its far from perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!! guessing on the fact of what other people who have played it have said and what weve seen it cant be more then a 8? youd have to be on crack to give it a 10 which in their spare time waiting for the game to come out so we get REAL reviews they probably have nothing better to do.

The only reason why you'd read that on these forums is because we are being highly critical of a game that we know we will buy and likely love. This game is in no way an 8. (At least from what I've seen)

highly critical? do i need to point out the already known uninspiring aspects? the most important one being the real lack of new chars or old chars with new movesets.

Thanks nic. I apologize for taking your thread semi-off topic, but has there been word as to about how many hours long the Subspace is? A while back it was rumoured that it'd be over ten, but that was before release.

Please please please please please no spoilers but that.

@Lugia- So, what you're saying is that the game loses two points because you don't like the roster?

Seems fair.

@Levesque- Well, the only info I've seen so far is that one of the leakers was 53% in and had played over 5 hours. So, I'd say at least 10 hours of gameplay is realistic.

Last edited:
Nice review.
This has a good shot at being Game Of The Year, seriously.
Its sounding so good!

I strongly doubt its not a 10/10, but for the sake of arguement I rather see one thats not Nintendo.

But either way im buying this game

its not just the roster. lack of strategy involved in battles, SSE sounds sort of faulty as a storyline, an assist trophy is like another pokeball... some of them are alright ideas but with items its getting to the point of total spam and it seems like some of the people grading this game forget its the 3rd in a series of games. i dont know about the rest of you but ill be playing the game in a matter of hours like i always had it.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised brawl got a perfect score... everything I've seen so far is bloody brilliant. I wish they would have told us exactly what needed a bit more polish though, so sakurai can improve upon it for SSB 4!

Back