Nintendo replaces Wii's with Re-manufactured units !

Mr.Selfdestruct

Wii-Tard
May 15, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wii Online Code
5234-2961-1879-5832
As you may or may not know, i had a thread about my Wii malfunctioning, i adventually figured out the problem was the barcode stickers placed on the Wii games by Hollywood video (Local Video Store).

But i didnt realize this before calling Nintendo and having them send out what i thought would be an entire new system, like the one you buy at your local retail store.

Now keep in mind that i only bought my Wii 4 days before having this problem, so after waiting 3 days for the Wii to be delivered to my door, i finally recieve a tiny package from UPS and when i say tiny, i mean tiny !! Litterally just big enough for the Wii console to be stuffed into the box with one layer of bubble wrap around the console.

Heres a picture of what i recieved ( I put my remote next to the box so you get an idea of how large the box is):
Wii002.jpg

I've worked several shipping and receiving jobs in my lifetime, and we've shipped out junk that was way less fragile and way less expensive than the Wii, and the companies i worked for had the decency to pack the product in a larger box filled with shipping peanuts and or lots of shipping material. Have you seen the way boxes are treated by UPS/FED EX ? They are extremely brutal to the packages, and they stack the packages on top of each other, god knows what kind of abuse this poor little Wii received traveling cross country to my door step, with ZERO protection !

And to my astonishment THE Wii THEY SENT ME WAS RE-MANUFACTURED !! If the guy at Nintendo would have told me it was a Re-man, then i would have told him i'd go through GameStop.

So anyway, my original Wii that i had assumed was ok after discovering the above mentioned problem, finally started freezing up on me during loading screens and asking me to eject the disc and refer to my Wii owners manual, SO luckily im still within my 7 day exchange policy with GameStop and i now have instore credit and am anxiously awaiting my BRAND NEW WII.

So needless to say, this Re-manufactured Wii is going back where it came from.

Moral of the story, DONT USE NINTENDO IF YOUR STILL WITHIN YOUR STORES EXCHANGE POLICY.

Last edited:
I think that should be common sense to get a replacement in store if it is within refund period. It is tough for Wii since it is not very likely that you can get a replacement unit in store these days. Warranty exchange with refurbished unit is a common practice for electronic devices, but it should be mentioned in the warranty policy. Instead of fixing yours, they send you one that has been fixed to accelerate the process.

Wow, that box is really small. I hope that Nintnedo doesn't ship my Wii back like that.

Ya, kinda crapy cosidering the Wii was 3 days old when i called Nintendo, and they still opted to give me a repaired unit shipped in a tiny box with ONE layer of bubble wrap.

I could understand if the Unit was a few months old, but the guy at Nintendo knew my console was only 3 days old and still under the GameStop 7 day exchange warranty WHICH I MENTIONED, and the guy still said i should just get a unit shipped, and he mislead me by sayind i would receive a new console, he never said it would be a repaired re-manufactured unit.

I just think in my particular situation, they should have directed me back to the store i bought it from. Thats like me paying 250 bucks for a used Wii, i'm sure Nintendo does this so they dont have to replace consoles with brand new units through the retailers, but i'd like to see Nintendo tell GameStop there sending them a re-manufactured unit to try to sell to customers.

I just think Nintendo should have treated this as if i was a retailer i.e. Wal-Mart, Game Stop, EB games and sent me a brand new unit.

I guess it costs them more trouble to receive broken units from vendors and back charge their account. There is actually an insert in the box (or a page in the set up guide) saying "DO NOT RETURN TO STORE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEM" or something like that. I agree that is not a very good customer service practice.

the wiis nintendo sends you go thru tons of testing and meet the same standards as a brand new wii i dont see what there is to complain about and when you get a wii from nintendo it renews your warrenty

it renews your warranty to get another refurb. It's a cheap move by companies to save a little money at the expense of the consumer. It's spelled "warranty" btw. they aren't really tested tons either buddy. Don't have so much faith in nintendo. It obviously doesn't meet the same standards as a brand new wii or they would be selling them as brand new wiis. lol

He seems more upset about the box than actually getting a refurb tho, i'd be mad about getting a refurb, i wouldn't focus on the bubble wrap. that's just me. instead of complaining here, he could call them and get the situation straightened out (and prolly get another refurb, lol)

I have used nintendos replacement program for my ds when it broke they send me one right away yes it was refurbished but it looked brand new and you couldnt even tell and it works just the same so i dont see where the problem is but yeh if you can just hop in the car and go get a new one at the store go for it but other wise nintendo is a good company they arent out to screw you over so dont complain

I'm still waiting for my Wii to get back from being repaired. It's been at Nintendo for about 5 days already. I check the repair thing everyday at Nintendo.com and still nothings changed since the first day they got it. I hope I get mine back before this next weekend coming up. I'm freaking dying to play it right now.

Last edited:
Back