Nintendo Says No To MMOs?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Well, there go our dreams for a PokéMMO; Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that Nintendo has no interest in developing an MMO at this time, putting to rest the rumor of a massively multiplayer version of Animal Crossing, as well as any hope for Nintendo further broadening their online offerings.

Specifically, Iwata stated that Nintendo would only pursue MMO development if the title could appeal to people of all ages, from "5 to 95." Looking at Second Life, Iwata belives that MMOs aren't yet accessible to people without a fair degree of computer literacy, and that Nintendo would want to successfully cross that bridge before considering going the MMO route.

The answer bums us out a bit, but at least it shows that Nintendo isn't entirely close-minded to the possibility. Maybe we'll someday get a PokéMMO after all?

Source

LOL! It's Nintendo. What do you expect? They reject all trends in gaming until doing so will result in complete and utter failure.

Put simply: They pretty much hate online. It took them an additional 6 or so years over their competitors to make (the crappy, self-handicapped) jump online. Expect another 6 or so before they start developing MMO games.

Not that I really care, though.

I'm not a big fan of MMO's (especically after guild wars) but I would like a Nintendo MMO with all the characters in and you play as Mario, Fox, Pokemon Trainer, Samus or Pit.

You never really know with nintendo. If anyones gonna make a MMO for 5 to 95-ers it's gonna be them. I would not exactly discount an animal crossing MMO.

It's not just Nintendo.

MMO's and consoles don't mix very well. I don't know the exact reason or reasons, but that's the way it is. One thing I do know though, all MMO's I've played pretty much required more buttons than what's available on a joypad. If you don't have voicecom, it's even more crucial to have quick emotes set up to inform your group on who you're damaging, who in your party you happen to be healing, who you're assisting off of, etc.

Yay MMOs suck. You have to ask your questions a little better. You need to ask how could animal crossing bring Wii sports player together? Is there going to be a Mii crossing?

Budo said:
It's not just Nintendo.

MMO's and consoles don't mix very well. I don't know the exact reason or reasons, but that's the way it is. One thing I do know though, all MMO's I've played pretty much required more buttons than what's available on a joypad. If you don't have voicecom, it's even more crucial to have quick emotes set up to inform your group on who you're damaging, who in your party you happen to be healing, who you're assisting off of, etc.

I'm not so sure about that. Final Fantasy XI was quite popular on the PS2. I know my sisters (and some old dorm mates) played it quite a bit and found it to work well.

Heck even the Dreamcast had a MMO with Phantasy Star. And how long ago was that...8 years? LOL!

Atomheart said:
I'm not so sure about that. Final Fantasy XI was quite popular on the PS2. I know my sisters (and some old dorm mates) played it quite a bit and found it to work well.

Heck even the Dreamcast had a MMO with Phantasy Star. And how long ago was that...8 years? LOL!

I'm in no way saying it's impossible, I beta tested the PC version of FFXI, so I knew about the different platforms that the game was available for. But you named two MMO's out of how many? That's all I'm saying...

There's obviously something there that either puts console gamers off, or in general, won't fit on a console. If it were on the same level, I'm sure we would have seen more than the two you mentioned (or close to two)

I like PSO anyways i believe animal crossing will be at least very similar to an mmo maybe a bit different, smaller? They said people of broad ranges weren't computer literate enough but previously a game designer said they were interested in using mobile devices. True mobile devices are more familiar to society but it's much more complex to pull that off than an mmo. So my point is even if it's not an mmo, it could still be pretty good. It's got to have online so i think they will make it where you can visit your friends using friend codes, you know nintendo being overly protective. SO you can still have the mmo concepts and feel but to a smaller degree. That is what i think they will do. (thanks for read that long statement.)

After entering about 40 endless ocean friend codes I'm quite annoyed by the friend code system. Its simply a stupid hassle. I don't see why games don't use the wii friend codes instead of all of them having their own. Sorry for the random unrelated rant.

so does that mean 3rd party franchises don't count? if not dang

Skorp said:
After entering about 40 endless ocean friend codes I'm quite annoyed by the friend code system. Its simply a stupid hassle. I don't see why games don't use the wii friend codes instead of all of them having their own. Sorry for the random unrelated rant.

I'm still stuck on why they use them at all. At best, they're worthless. At worst, they actually harm children (who just take them online and meet new strangers they never would have otherwise had contact with who can use FCs to lure kids) while preventing adults (who don't have the time to harvest FCs) from being able to participate. Games are supposed to be fun, not work.

I want more MOHH2 style gaming on my Wii (MS Allegiance springs to mind), though I don't care too much about MMO, either way I wouldn't want Nintendo developing it. They'd just find a way to suck all the fun out of it.

Back