Nintendo Says Wii U Already Sold Out at Retail in US

Maura

Super Moderator
Jul 7, 2011
UK
maura-albums-news-4-picture10683-wii-u-launch-miis.JPG

CNET reports that Nintendo would appear to be very pleased indeed with the Wii U’s launch in the US, with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime telling the website via a phone interview that according to Nintendo’s internal data, US hardware sales in total exceeded 1.2 million last week. This figure breaks down into 400,000 Wii Us, which beat the Wii, although the older console still managed an impressive 300,000 sales in the past week, six years since its debut. As far as the portable consoles go, Nintendo sold 250,000 3DS units and 275,000 DS units. Fils-Aime told CNET that Nintendo basically sold all the Wii Us that it was able to get onto store shelves.

“Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock,” he said. “Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they’re selling out immediately.”

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554183-235/nintendo-400k-wii-u-units-sold-1.2m-devices-total/

Yee-haw! I'm glad that I got mine on launch. Too bad others will have to wait for more, although it won't take that long.

No surprise there. :lol: What with the success of the Wii, it's no shock they're flyin' off shelves simply due to Ninty's momentum and reputation. This is precisely why I'm stoked my amigo somehow snagged a Wii U Deluxe off the shelves of a random Target.

Back