Nintendo shares slide 10 percent

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
The stock market doesn't always follow conventional wisdom. Last Thursday, Nintendo reported its sales figures for the last nine months of 2007, revealing that it had doubled its revenues and profits over the same period the year before. While there was an initial spike in the publisher's share price after the news, that gain has since been lost and then some, with the stock dropping nearly 10 percent of its value during Monday's trading. Nintendo shares closed the day at ¥46,800 ($438), down from its previous close of ¥51,800 ($485). The company's stock is down 36 percent from its 52-week high of ¥73,200 ($685), which it hit in October.

A Reuters report offered a number of possible explanations for the drop. Given that so much of the Japanese company's business comes from foreign markets, the report said analysts are concerned a stronger yen could hurt its earnings. The report also mentions that some large investors sold off significant amounts of Nintendo stock, cashing out on the large gains the company has made over the previous years.

"This has little to do with the company itself, but a lot to do with market sentiment," Mizuho Asset Management fund manager Yoshihisa Okamoto told Reuters. "In the current market environment, investors rush to sell at the first sign of negative developments or exhaustion of positive news."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185188.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

I assume they slide because of the US's announcement of a recession? After all, they still are the biggest global consumer of everything. That though, is a disappointing loss to Nintendo, a large one as well (in my books).

261311 said:
I assume they slide because of the US's announcement of a recession? After all, they still are the biggest global consumer of everything. That though, is a disappointing loss to Nintendo, a large one as well (in my books).

The US hasn't "announced" a recession, we've just recently begun being OK with talking publicly about what we've really known for a long time now, that our systematic destruction of the dollar coupled with massive un-repayable debts to foreign countries, coupled with a "downturn" in the housing market has gradually slid us into a recession. Atleast our government sure as hell hasn't annoucned it! haha....

Transfixed said:
The US hasn't "announced" a recession, we've just recently begun being OK with talking publicly about what we've really known for a long time now, that our systematic destruction of the dollar coupled with massive un-repayable debts to foreign countries, coupled with a "downturn" in the housing market has gradually slid us into a recession. Atleast our government sure as hell hasn't annoucned it! haha....
Bernake said that the US is in a recession, hence why within the past 2 months he's lowered your interest rates almost 2.5%, and just 3/4 of a percent last week (or so).

Dude the entire world's market has been hit lately...largely thanks to the US *takes hat off to the US* ****ers.
And many companies have experienced more than 10% declines. Atleast people will still be 'investing' in Nintendo in this tough time. Who cant help a bit of gaming?

If the gov't and gas companies and others would stop gouging the public with taxes and price markups and all that we'd have more money to spend on our own desires and the economy would be fine.

But they always charge what they WANT and not what they NEED.

Well, if that's coming from an American stand point, think about your war machine and the 9 trillion dollar deficit you hold; if not, then look to the option of governments are greedy and a surplus is always favourable.

Markets in Asia, and around the world really, have been down lately. Nintendo is not alone.

However, it's up 5% today, but it's been all over the place the last couple months.

Everyone is cashing out like he said, even in company doing as great as Nintendo with all this talk of ressesion people are scared and back out with what money they have invested even if that money is doing well...

half of whats causes a ressession is "saying" that we are in a ressesion people then doubt the market and pull out as quick as possibal...

And if it happens in the US it happens to everyone else in some extent... its a World Market every dollar in any direction effects everybody in some way...

Nintendo is still pulling in the cash like crazy anyways dollar value or not they are killing competitors, market share of the company wont change that... all it will change is who gets the surplus cash and at what price they get it...

It makes sense. People buy stock then they eventually sell their stock. If I bought Wii stock I'd sell mine sometime in 2008. The stock market is like Black Jack. You need to know when to pull out. Could you stay in for 30 years? Yeah, but few people do that on their own.

Oh yeah, end of 2008, get ready USA. Get ready for the market to fail badly. How badly? Depends who becomes president.

261311 said:
Bernake said that the US is in a recession, hence why within the past 2 months he's lowered your interest rates almost 2.5%, and just 3/4 of a percent last week (or so).

You have a link for that, right? I'd be interested in seeing Bernake make such a foolish error in wording. "Recession" isn't some nebulous term meaning things aren't going so well. A recession is what happens when the GDP for your nation goes down for two consecutive quarters. Right now the US is in a slow growth phase but I do emphasize the word "growth." The earliest a recession could possibly happen is June 08 since Q4 07's GDP grew by 2.6% but even a June 08 recession is unlikely since at about 1/3 the way through this financial quarter, a drop in growth is highly unlikely. Most forecasts have growth at under 1% by the end of 2008 so a recession (if it happens this economic cycle) will likely not start until June 2009.

We lose a trillion dollars a year on Iraq. That equals recession, hell that equals insane debt. Am I the only one here who lived through the Cold War? What defeated the Soviet Empire? They ran out of money by spending it all on military! Does history repeat? A bit too much I'd say.

Russia had the Berlin wall. We have one too. It's big oil keeping solar and wind power away from the consumer. It's an invisible wall of energy oppression.

Last edited:
hal2814 said:
You have a link for that, right? I'd be interested in seeing Bernake make such a foolish error in wording. "Recession" isn't some nebulous term meaning things aren't going so well. A recession is what happens when the GDP for your nation goes down for two consecutive quarters. Right now the US is in a slow growth phase but I do emphasize the word "growth." The earliest a recession could possibly happen is June 08 since Q4 07's GDP grew by 2.6% but even a June 08 recession is unlikely since at about 1/3 the way through this financial quarter, a drop in growth is highly unlikely. Most forecasts have growth at under 1% by the end of 2008 so a recession (if it happens this economic cycle) will likely not start until June 2009.
Thanks for that huge tidbit of information, god knows I wouldn't of known after 4 years and about 10 business classes. Whether you like it or not, Bernake had the balls enough to admit that the economy is on a serious downfall, thus naming it the beginning of a recession. Don't tell me what I do or don't read.

The source was in some local newspaper called the Toronto Star, if you want it bad enough you can root through some small collectors shop.

Last edited:
261311 said:
Thanks for that huge tidbit of information, god knows I wouldn't of known after 4 years and about 10 business classes. Whether you like it or not, Bernake had the balls enough to admit that the economy is on a serious downfall, thus naming it the beginning of a recession. Don't tell me what I do or don't read.

The source was in some local newspaper called the Toronto Star, if you want it bad enough you can root through some small collectors shop.

Don't get mad at me because you're playing fast and lose with your wording and get it wrong. Heading for a recession is an entirely different thing than being in one. I'm surprised your business classes didn't make that clear. I never told you what you did and didn't read. I just called you out for seriously misstating something you did read by asking for a source when I knew there was none.

There is one, but have no time to baby you and other members through everything, I care not to rout through piles of papers my school has just to prove to some 12 year old (or one with equal maturity) that he's in fact wrong.

I worded nothing wrong because heading to a recession, and there being a recession is in fact very close nit (hence either way the economy is declining), and because of the pace the economy is sliding at, the two are extremely interchangeable.

Argue all you want, I just read and respond because it's a gas and I'm extremely bored.

Back