Nintendo shares slide 10 percent

Hal2814 A Recession as you stated, straight from Wiki i might add, is a negative decline for 6 months. That is one deffition of a Economic Recession...

Here ill add the rest of the Wiki deffintion. It doesn't go inline with your defense you probably stopped reading it. lol

An alternative, less accepted definition of recession is a downward trend in the rate of actual GDP growth as promoted by the business-cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research.[1] That private organization defines a recession more ambiguously as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months." A recession may involve simultaneous declines in coincident measures of overall economic activity such as employment, investment, and corporate profits. Recessions may be associated with falling prices (deflation), or, alternatively, sharply rising prices (inflation) in a process known as stagflation.

Many people including Bernake have said we are "in a recession." Probably considering it among this line of deffinition.

And probaly why this is accepted is based on the deffinition you pick to be correct there is no way to ever acctually say you are currently in a recession unless its been over 6 months time, and after that much time alot of people would start calling it a depression instead of a recession.So at most you could say we were in a recession. Its a nasty loophole making no one right untill its too late.

Kinda nice when you can bend and twist facts to always make you right isn't it? 90% of this world is opinion and in the end it matters little to anyone other than yourself, why argue over it?
The economy currently sucks, the whole world is hurting a little in someway, thats not a huge news flash to anyone.

Last edited:
wezeles said:
Hal2814 A Recession as you stated, straight from Wiki i might add, is a negative decline for 6 months. That is one deffition of a Economic Recession...

Here ill add the rest of the Wiki deffintion. It doesn't go inline with your defense you probably stopped reading it. lol

I didn't need to consult the Wiki for the definition of a recession. That other definition by your very quote is "an alternative, less accepted definition." I've never heard it but I'll keep it under advisement in the future.

wezeles said:
Many people including Bernake have said we are "in a recession." Probably considering it among this line of deffinition.

I'm still doubting that Bernanke ever actually said we're in a recession. Does ANYONE have any evidence that he really said this?

wezeles said:
And probaly why this is accepted is based on the deffinition you pick to be correct there is no way to ever acctually say you are currently in a recession unless its been over 6 months time, and after that much time alot of people would start calling it a depression instead of a recession.So at most you could say we were in a recession. Its a nasty loophole making no one right untill its too late.

Kinda nice when you can bend and twist facts to always make you right isn't it? 90% of this world is opinion and in the end it matters little to anyone other than yourself, why argue over it?
The economy currently sucks, the whole world is hurting a little in someway, thats not a huge news flash to anyone.

I see your point about it being hard to say you're in a recession until it's too late but there was GDP growth just last quarter. Most forecasts are still showing GDP growth throughout 2008. It's a little early to be throwing out terms like recession. And I know I'm using the real definition of the word instead of the "alternative, less accepted definition."

It's worth arguing because by the time you're really using the word recession, it's unavoidable. The entire global economy looks bad right now but it isn't unsalvagable. It would be a shame for everyone to give up because then you would have a genuine self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sagema rattles his key chain. Look at the pretty keys!

hal2814 said:
I'm still doubting that Bernanke ever actually said we're in a recession. Does ANYONE have any evidence that he really said this?
Instead of trying to argue every single post that's made on this forum why not look for it yourself? I'll even let you publicly deny any found results if you do stumble across a web article.

*comes up behind sagema and steals his keys* hehehe

we are not in recession. its just that the econimt of the world is doing bad right now. i am sure it will go up

*sigh* call it what you want. Just know and look to the fact that when the US hurts, the world hurts; the reason the world markets are doing bad is because the US is the dominant super-power of economies.

Back