Nintendo Tips: Proper Wii remote usage

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Given all the recent press attention regarding the Wii remote and its somewhat overwhelmed wrist strap, Nintendo have issues a fact sheet style guide on proper use of the Wii controller.

The following tips are advised for safe play:

* Always wear the wrist strap while playing.
* Keep a firm grip on the Wii Remote at all times.
* Make sure people and objects are out of the range of movement before play begins.

Other things to keep in mind include:

* Players should keep at least three feet from their televisions and should dry their hands if they become moist.
* Remember that the Wii Remote is responsive enough to detect minor movements – so excessive and forceful actions are not necessary.
* The motions made are similar to real-life sports games, but the force is not.

These tips complement efforts already underway:

* Nintendo has been replacing broken wrist straps for consumers who request them.
* Nintendo operates a toll-free number and a Web site for customers to request replacement wrist straps. Consumers can call 1-800-859-4519 or visit support.nintendo.com to get a replacement wrist strap.
* All new Wii hardware shipments include new wrist straps and a safety sheet.
* Links about Wii safety are available on various Nintendo Web sites, including multiple links on Nintendo.com, Wii.Nintendo.com and the Nintendo World store Web site.
* Nintendo sent an e-mail message to members of the MyNintendo customer-loyalty program about Wii Remote safety. A similar message will be sent each week to consumers who register their new Wii systems at MyNintendo.com.
* Games include on-screen advisories about proper wrist strap use.
* Nintendo includes an insert about Wii safety with all correspondence dealing with Wii product repairs and replacements.

In the coming weeks, Nintendo will:

* Send electronic messages to Internet-connected Wii systems to highlight key Wii safety points.
* Update the Wii operations manual and the manual for Wii Sports with additional wrist strap cautions and specific game advice.
* Update on-screen wrist strap advisories to include additional messaging.

This is going way overboard in my opinion, next thing we'll see is some kid accidentally hitting his other kid friend and parents sue Nintendo.

My friend actually made a rant towards me about how I don't use the wrist strap... I then spent 10 minutes explaining that I don't swing like an utter retard who thinks breaking his arm just to do a swing makes the ball go that much faster in Wii Sports. I then proved it and he cried :)

Last edited:
maybe that's the reason they're doing all these crazy press releases. They're lucky that I don't work there. My emails would be simple.

To : Possible Dummy
Subject: "Important Instruction"
Message: "Hold the remote during play." (with graphic of a hand holding the wiimote...just incase they want to use their feet/mouth)

Rein said:
This is going way overboard in my opinion, next thing we'll see is some kid accidentally hitting his other kid friend and parents sue Nintendo.

My friend actually made a rant towards me about how I don't use the wrist strap... I then spent 10 minutes explaining that I don't swing like an utter retard who thinks breaking his arm just to do a swing makes the ball go that much faster in Wii Sports. I then proved it and he cried :)

i'm pretty sure some people are doing that already. I'm hoping nintendo has somewhere written down that they are not responsible for any damages OTHERS have done.

Hmm, i mean... Yeah, its stuipd to go overboard, but when the remote just dosent respond at that crucial momment... Hmmm =/ I won't hold my self liable...

hehehe my brother hit me in in the head during Wii Boxing - it hurt! - i havent filed a lawsuit yet.......lol

"what are you all talking about? You're not supposed to hold the wiimote, it's all about putting into the strap. " - what the flippin ********s are thinking/saying

yeah, those people need to learn how to hold the wiimotes the right way. It's flipping rediculous, and before every game they tell you to actually hold the wiimote, but still use the strap as a precautionary. this stuff makes me mad each time (lives near people who make it a big deal).

Hi folks, new here and posting from my wii!

As for the strap, common sense should prevail. That said, ive hit the light fitting more times than i care to mention playing wii bowling!!

yeah when i first heard about people loosing grip on their remotes and breaking stuff i thought how stupid can you be...the next day playing tenis, i think, wham loose grip of the remote. Thank you wrist strap, instead of breaking the tv i hit myself in the face. But still i dont see how someone can blame nintendo for any of this, its the users falt and thats it. I hope these ass hole law firms in cali loose alot of money on their stupid lawsuits they refuse to drop even with the strap replacement agreements.

ive broken 2 wriststraps, one because i wasnt thinking, and the other out of anger, but the wriststraps have saved my tv once or twice

nic7 said:
ive broken 2 wriststraps, one because i wasnt thinking, and the other out of anger, but the wriststraps have saved my tv once or twice

really? have you already ordered the replacement wii straps?

Nintendo Liability

My friend Dave has hit my son at least 10 times in mid-bowl. I might have to sue Nintendo if he grows up to be a slouch who sits around and plays games all day instead to reading books.:smilewinkgrin:

Back