Nintendo Too Strong?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Guru in some circles, crazy nutter weirdo in other: everyone likes to have their say when Tetsuya Mizuguchi is about. However, the creator of Rez and Lumines has been talking to Wired and he revealed that although creating a game for the Nintedo Wii interested him, he felt slightly apprehensive of doing so:

W: In general, maybe not this game, but what do you think about making games for the Wii?

TM: Wii is a very unique platform. I have no projects yet, but I feel it’s very unique. I’m a little bit anxious about Nintendo platforms, as Nintendo games are too strong. I’m a little bit worried about that.

W: Do you think that there’s anything that Nintendo can do to help third parties?

TM: I have no experience working with Nintendo yet, so I don’t know.

So is this a slap across the face with a leather glove for Wii owners, or is Mizuguchi just saying that he...well...what is he saying? Tell you what, why don't you let us know what you think underneath? Crazy idea I know, but try it anyway.

Source

Good and bad at the same time, for obvious reasons.

Strong Ninty games is what we bought a Wii for really. But the strength of them doesnt effect third parties AT ALL, unless their game is released near Nintendos.

Releasing the game is where they have to be careful. They shouldnt worry about their product being ignored completley however.

do you think nintendo is getting to strong? I mean wii's sells are really high and they are making alot of money right and now do you think they are getting to powerfull as a company? Well if you ask me i think nintendo belongs at the top because they have been in the business almost since it started and they deserve to be ontop again fully. Nintendo is back people and they arent going anywhere.

I don't belive he is referring to Market Capitalization or even market share when he talks about Nintendo being strong, he is referring to their succes with creating games. He is trying to reference the fact the Nintendo game developers are the best developers for the Wii right now and it would be tough to put a game to compete against a title created by Nintendo.

I agree with Chucck, I think it means it's hard to make a game to compete against nintendo's own.

chuccck said:
I don't belive he is referring to Market Capitalization or even market share when he talks about Nintendo being strong, he is referring to their succes with creating games. He is trying to reference the fact the Nintendo game developers are the best developers for the Wii right now and it would be tough to put a game to compete against a title created by Nintendo.

Exactly, that is part of the problem with 3rd party developers and Nintendo, Nintendo has such an advantage at the moment that 3rd party developers are unsure they want to risk the capital investment to create a title that rivals what nintendo can put out, hence that is why we see all the crapware out there from 3rd parties.

Nintendo has ALWAYS made some of the best games ever. It's been 20 years, you'd think the rest of the game developers would have stopped whining by now and tried to reach/surpass this bar that Nintendo keeps raising with each first party game they release.

True they have an in-house advantage with the hardware for the first release period, but to still be nervous about going up against them this much later, that's just laziness and cowardice. Third-party companies have no one to blame but themselves. Nintendo takes their "mediocre" product and says "look at all the fun and amazing things you can get out of it", but everyone else takes the hardware and says "i don't know if i can do anything with this, so I'll just go over here to the other one that doesn't require so much imagination and innovation".

Nintendo's games aren't too strong, the other developers are just too weak.

Back