Nintendo Wii and Two Wii Modchips

CaliforniaBeachUSA

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Nintendo Wii and Three Wii Modchips

Currently, set to realease this February and already available for pre-order, ther are three modchips for the Wii.

The Cyclo Wiz

Wiinja

Wiikey

I am going to preorder now but I can't decide which one is better/best? Expense isn't a problem. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best one.

Last edited:
Wiitendo said:
hope not, Nintendo should protest mod chips.

Well it's not like any company would ever have the slightest interest in encouraging mod chips....

Are These Kinda Like Gamesharks Or Something?

To put it simply: It allows you to play burned games.

its not illegal to have mod chips here in Australia anymore, There was a court case i think last year that made them legal.

I hope a feature comes out on one of these mode chips that allows you to download VC games from other regions, can you say Donkey Kong Counrty (currently not in the us but in other regions)

CaliforniaBeachUSA said:
Currently, set to realease this February and already available for pre-order, ther are three modchips for the Wii.

The Cyclo Wiz

Wiinja

Wiikey

I am going to preorder now but I can't decide which one is better/best? Expense isn't a problem. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best one.

I would personally go for the Wiinja, it looks pretty impressive.

I can't judge since non of them have been released. By the way, are Wii games burnt onto CD-R or DVD-R?

its too early to buy a mod chip.. its not really tested and no one knows what will nintedo do about it.. for u know there might be a update and the chip is useless.. the only thing the chip can do is burn games from your own region.. and nothing else.. not a single homebrew yet..

CaliforniaBeachUSA: Definitely wait until these things have been out for a while and then see which one is best. You could end up wasting your money on a bogus mod chip or even worse, end up with an unusable Wii.

cannon: Regarding the legality of mod chips in Australia. The court cause you mentioned occurred (from memory) around October 2005 and basically the ruling was that mod chips are legal if they're used to circumvent region lock outs on games. Since Wii games are not locked to specific regions (rather PAL vs NTSC compatibility) I doubt they would be legal here. I have no idea what the situation is with this anywhere else in the world.

Also, mod chips can be used for things other than pirating games although for many people that would be the only reason to get them. If any of these mod chips turns out to be reliable and undetectable by the Wii then I'll probably get one so that I can backup my purchased games and use the backups rather than the original discs. This way if I ever damage the disc I will still have a perfect original. This is also actually illegal in Australia thanks to an archaic law but as far as I know it has never been enforced.

I am actually checking both of them.

I don't know abou the Wiikey but the Wiinja or Cyclowiz is the 2.

I go this from a user in the Cyclo Wiz forums at Max Console.

- Quicksolder (no wires required) == Wiinja needs wires
- Plays Wii Backups == Wiinja too
- Plays GC Backups == Wiinja too
- Play GC Homebrew == Wiinja: unknown...but as GC-headers aren't signed, the Wiinja should be capable of this, too
- Play GC Imports (swap needed) == Wiinja propably too when swaping is used
- Built-in Audiofix (GC games using streaming are working flawlessly, no patch needed) == Wiinja: unknown
- DVD-R / DVD+R support == Wiinja too
- Optional chip disable wire == Wiinja too (if you are smart enough)
- Stealth even when chip is enabled == Wiinja too...As both chips attack the firmware and Big N most likely can't check it
- Multi-purpose LED == Wiinja doesn't has this feature, but who needs it?

The cyclo wiz seems to be more functional. I wouldn't buy any yet. Wait a month or so, because the big question is if the are both able to surpass the updates. I mean I think I would get the Cyclo Wiz because its solderless.

No one really has a definite answer since there new we need a lot of reviews from trusted users.

I'll definitely buy cyclowiz over wiinja, but I don't now about wiikey yet, but anyway, I dont wanna break my console, so I will wait till I see the next update and a lot of wiis have em, and cyclowiz looks better because it doesn't need soldering...

Back