NIntendo Wii Bump mapping or displacement?!

sKin said:
lawl Mr. Modesty.

I doubt the Wii will support bump mapping just because of it's limited graphical power, but it would be awesome if Nintendo could somehow manage it.

dont hate me cause you aint me :D
nah joking, but you know its true

WannaWii said:
I am the coolest, im not even a nerd. lol

Man you're so cool. Way cooler than us nerds and all lmao! Here's a medal just for you!

medal.jpg

It's not nice to generalize ^_^

I think replacement mapping is infact displacement mapping which... by the way, is not so strenuous. What makes it so demanding is that it reaquires a high poly count on the mesh. This is because in order to manipulate the mesh, there needs to be enough vertices that can be moved so that you get the desired effect.

I know show you two pictures made by me:

They are both simple planes.

The first though, is made of only 25 polygons. Therefore, there are far less points that can be manipulated. This means we get a strange wavy effect.

The second, however, is comprised of 25,625 polygons. Therefore, many points can be moved. Now we get a beautiful spiky surface that was originally a plane.

In more practical applications, we can apply logos or such to meshs to make them stand out. And it works very well. The only problem is the poly count, which affects render time which is definetly not suitable for realtime applications such as video games. Thank-you!

OK, well since nobody else has said it:

WHO CARES!?!?

We're people here who claim that they don't care how a game looks as long as it's fun to play, yet we're arguing over whether the Wii will have bump mapping or displacement. Seems preatty insignificant to me.

We obviously don't care how far advanced the graphics have come. Is it not natural to want to know how far they have come though. I mean really does it matter if we care anyways. Not that I really do, its just that I create a lot of 3d graphics and I just wanted to share what I know. Others are mostly just speculating. It doesnt matter.

hey

I just wanted to say that I would be quite surprised if the Wii doesn't support both Bump/Dot and Normal/Dot3 Mapping in hardware, as I think it's quite an established technology now.

cyas

Back