Nintendo Wii Scam - BEWARE

Yes, they are responsible.

Amazon must be held responsible. These companies that allow scam artists to advertise on their site are secretly making money and looking the other way. Amazon made money from your loss. I suggest finding a lawyer who is willling to start a lawsuit or class action lawsuit. Write a letter to Amazon and see if they can refund you the money you lost from "trying their sponsored link". The fact that the Amazon site says to "try their sponsored link" means they are responsible. A sponsorship is a partnership.

Last edited:
I've nearly been credit card scammed, and here's a helpful FYI for next time. Do not do any phone orders or give credit card/debit through the phone. Only trust sites if it's PayPal certified. And if it is, and it happens to be a "scam", you can simply contact PayPal and they would deal with the rest.

jools007 said:
Hello fellow gamers. I am writing this post to ward anyone away from a Scam that i'm sorry to say myself and a friend have both fallen for.

I looked on Amazon.co.uk to try and purchase a Wii. They said out of stock - but please try our sponsored links. There was a link to a company called www.instockconsoles.co.uk I called and spoke to a very convincing man who told me he could do a great deal. I've subsequently realised this is a scam company and am gutted that I have fallen for it. Needly to say I never got my wii, nor did my friens. They are still operating!! I've been in contact with the police, trading standards people, website hosts, phone number hosts and i'm trying my best to bring them to justice.

Their numerer is UK 0700 5947 445 Please feel free to call and give them a peice of you mind, (if you call about an existing order they hang up, but if you start by saying you want to place a new order, they are nice as pie). I called saying I was going to find them and they had the arrogance to say "good luck" and put the phone down on me.

Also I am reaching out to the web community to try and find if anyone has any advice of how to nail these people who have really made my angry and upset. I have their webhost details, their phone host details, addresses, names - and they are all being investigated, but its bound to all be fake. Any techy's out there, anyone with similar experiences, i'd love to hear from you. All help and advice welcome.

Lets stop these kind of rogues together...

Kind regards

Jools
l2p newb even the name is scammy like: winafreeipod.com

I haven't bought anything from Amazon.com ever since they started selling used items from outside sellers. Not worth the risk.

dude, that blows. It just sucks to know that people that work so hard for their money are scammed out of it. What I dont understand is that these scammers are pretty clever in what they do, why can't they channel those skills into a meaningful, honest job in the workforce?!

Jools, if the person or people responcible are overseas, u may not be able to do much about it... However, the next best thing is warning everyone u can. I'd contact a consumer watchdog-type television show. They are sure to be interested as the Wii is a super hot subject at the moment... "People preying on the desperation of others that have waited so long for their next generation gaming console that have been out of stock for months"-kind of deal.

I'd be sending a lot of nasty emails and abusive phonecalls.
Trust me, i work in customer service. If the customer is right about something and gets pissed off and asks to speak to a manager, 99% of the time they will get results immediately.

Wiiaretheworld said:
Amazon must be held responsible. These companies that allow scam artists to advertise on their site are secretly making money and looking the other way. Amazon made money from your loss. I suggest finding a lawyer who is willling to start a lawsuit or class action lawsuit. Write a letter to Amazon and see if they can refund you the money you lost from "trying their sponsored link". The fact that the Amazon site says to "try their sponsored link" means they are responsible. A sponsorship is a partnership.
I believe you should study more before you post something as fact, as it's obvious you don't know the law. Again, Amazon uses a 3rd party to display ads on the site. The scam site signed up for the ad service Amazon uses, was verified by the 3rd party ad server(obviously looking very legit), and then their ad appeared on Amazon. Amazon uses the term "sponsored links" because they are being paid for every click. Saying that Amazon should be held responsible is like saying a newspaper is responsible because someone lied in an ad they placed. It is absolutely unfeasible for Amazon or the 3rd party ad service to verify the legitimacy of every site that signs up. Do you really expect them to just shell out money to buy a product on every single site, when they're not even making that much off each one to begin with? Also, check Amazon's Terms of Service, there is bound to be a clause in there for this specific purpose. I'll find it for you shortly.

WolfpacSnakepit said:
I'd be sending a lot of nasty emails and abusive phonecalls.
Trust me, i work in customer service. If the customer is right about something and gets pissed off and asks to speak to a manager, 99% of the time they will get results immediately.
Yes, that works in retail stores. Unfortunately these guys are scam artists and do not have any rules or standards to uphold. They are interested in screwing people over and moving on, so they don't want customers to ever come back.

ha this reminds me of when my friend got scamed off ebay when he baught a xbox 360 and ounce he won the auction the owner sent him an xbox 360 BOX. Wow was i mad at who ever sold him a box for $750.

Offtopic: I can't imagine Amazon operating in its current trends for much long to be honest - they're already fighting a legal battle from IBM for using software without paying for it.

Ontopic: Sorry mate, :(

Bubbagump said:
ha this reminds me of when my friend got scamed off ebay when he baught a xbox 360 and ounce he won the auction the owner sent him an xbox 360 BOX. Wow was i mad at who ever sold him a box for $750.

i wouldnt have thought this is the saem thing..

i remember when i first heard of this thing, "playstation 2 box and receipt" was the title of the auction, and the winner of the auction got just that, a playstation 2 box and a receipt.

that isnt so much a scam, just people not reading what they are actually buying.

its harsh but like i say not so much a scam, the website people have been talkiing about is a blatant scam, explicitly saying you get a console and then just robbing your money....

i havent been affected by this at all, but im gonna get onto watchdog myself and give them warning

Wow guys, so many responses and well wishes. I'm rather touched. Nice to know there are some good people out there! Thank you all for your comments, feedback and advice.

The site appears to be down now, but the phone number is still operating. I've just emailed Amazons fraud department sentinal, even if they wont do anything to help me with the money I lost being scammed, they might hold some infomation about the people who paid for the ad. So its worth trying to get them involved. Police have been useless.. I guess its just not important enough. I've turned into a mini Magnum PI, and got a whole file full of stuff on these guys to give to the police, (if they ever get back to me). I also emailed WatchDog as well with the details... I hope to get a response.

I was a fool for falling for the scam. And to make matters worse I trusted the man on the site, and made a direct payment.. not on my credit card so no chargeback for me. I put my faith in human nature and I was let down. I've learned my lesson.

I'm not that bothered about the money anymore.. I'd really love to nail these guys.. There is nothing worse than the feeling of being taken for a mug.

Thanks again!

i too believe i have fallen for a scam.used "xmasdeal24.co" to order wii console on 10th jan.have tried to contact the company on line and by telephone("the number you are calling is currently unavailable").
has any one any knowlege about this company?

Contact your credit card company and tell them someone stole your credit card number to buy a Wii. They will track down the person(s) in very fast fashion if you give them even a little info to go on.

Problems: If it's not in the US you may be screwed.
You paid them ro rip you off. So you'd be lying.

You have other solutions. However if it's over international waters, you'll discover the many flaws of global justice.

GaryT85 said:
i wouldnt have thought this is the saem thing..

i remember when i first heard of this thing, "playstation 2 box and receipt" was the title of the auction, and the winner of the auction got just that, a playstation 2 box and a receipt.

that isnt so much a scam, just people not reading what they are actually buying.

its harsh but like i say not so much a scam, the website people have been talkiing about is a blatant scam, explicitly saying you get a console and then just robbing your money....

i havent been affected by this at all, but im gonna get onto watchdog myself and give them warning
the ebay guy never even mentioned it was just a box just xbox 360 and had a picture of an xbox 360 box, so my friend was thinking it was in the xbox 360 box (why would't it be) but it wasnt.

Back