Nintendo's secret double strategy?

LoganSix said:
So, how's that widget factory you got going, huh? You are making a million widgets a month and now people want you to make 2 million.

Can you even comprehend how many Wii's are being made? Over a million a month. Do you even know what it takes to "open up a factory"? It takes six months to build a house, how long do you think it takes to build a "factory", stock it with material and hire people to build the components? Oh, and get the person who supplies you with material to double their production too.

Want to get an idea what it is like? I want you to make 5 paper airplanes and time how long it takes you to make those five. Now, I want you to keep making 5 paper airplanes at the same speed for 5 hours. Tomorrow, I want you to make 7 paper airplanes in the same time it took you to make 5. And the day after tomorrow, I want you to make 10 paper airplanes in the same time you made the first 5. BTW, you can only make 40 airplanes at a time until your cousin from out-of-state brings you more paper. Have fun.
ill gladly get friends to help make those paper airplanes, like you would get a factory. its almost been a year since the wiis been out, double of 6 months, and with all the profit things like needing supplies should be little obstacles.

Im sorry, but this whole "Double Strategy" is idiotic, the truth is simply that games get delayed! And neither MP3 nor Mario Galaxy were ever officially named launch games. And as far as Brawl goes, I could care less, there are so many games that are going to be better. Hell! Im more excited about Bleach:The Shattered Souls than Brawl.

Besides, SONY and Microsoft have had plenty of delays and stolen exclusives(you shoul be glad nintendo doesn't have that problem).

Sovieto said:
I'm starting to think Nintendo is running a double strategy. It makes sense to me and explains a lot.
First, Nintendo is obviously holding back production on Wiis, there is no excuse for them not producing enough Wiis. But now, the people who want Wiis are getting them.
Whos getting them? The people looking forward to games like SSBB, Mario, and Metroid.
Now, the launch of the Wii for example, we were promised Zelda, MP3, and Mario Galaxy within launch week I believe. We haven't even seen MP3 since last E3 and then we expect them to have it...and Mario, ready for release during the Wiis release window?! or, were they planning to delay it.
Hear me out, people before launch would go online, read all about the Wii and all these awesome games coming out. Then they get it set through their mind that they want a Wii and don't bother looking for more info (this is obviously not the most of the people on these forums). Later, those games they wanted are delayed but do they know that? no, games usually come out on the date they are announced to.
So then this person buys this Wii, and like many people, get bored with it cause they don't have all the games they wanted. This was the first huge wave of Wii owners we saw.
Now is the second wave, MP3, Mario, and SSBB?! 3 great titles, 2 were already delayed by a year so people might find it extremely strange a game is delayed twice.
So then, people hear about this craze over the Wii then go online, see SSBB, the possibly (and imo) the biggest title for the Wii, is coming out this winter! They know they want that Wii, and again, go on with their lives. So its winter, they buy that Wii, and find out no SSBB. This time around though they are a little more satisfied with the other games.

So is Nintendo running a strategy to give out release dates, then silently delay them to work along with not having enough units out for the ultimate entertainment buzz?

I think it only makes sense, there are other delayed games, such as BWii, which was suppose to come out last March I believe.

Also, if you post on this thread defending Nintendo--why? they're the ones delaying the games you want, you can't give them ALL the breaks can you?

First off Sovieto Nintendo is always loyal to their fans. Brawl wasnt delayed unporpose it was delayed because the game needs more polishing in the ghraphics department, its still has some wonky glitches, and it still has bugs so it needs to be fixed because I would rather play a game thats works fine and has no problems rathen than a game thats glitched and bugged. Nintendo couldnt lie to the consumers saying that SMG and MP3 would be out a week after wii launch because Retro Studios was still working on some artwork and making it into video games while nintendo said that SMG was still in its conecpt form. If they did say MP3 and SMG would be out a week after launch, to find out its was bull then nintendo can get sued for fraud because they were promising on tv, interet, magazines, other media that it was. Plus if nintendo did do that and gamers got bored of the wii then its hype would die down. I myself want one because of all the games out and the ones almost comming out but because my family has some financial problems I cant buy one. Im so tired of people saying that anyone can afford a wii, ITS NOT TRUE not everyone can dish out $250 like nothing. so get your facts shtraight and learn more.

zelda was delayed to help get the hype going, so obviously they do delay games for reasons other than working on them..;..

LoganSix said:
Good grief people.
The Wii has sold twice as fast as the XBox 360. Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii it builds. They are not holding back production. There are Wii's to be had in a lot of places. The rate of Demand was unexpected, plain and simple.

Just adjust your tinfoil hat and worry about other things.

Holy Smokes. Outstanding, +1 for you :smilewinkgrin:

Sovieto said:
wii is selling a lot, yes. but as you said they make a profit on console, youre telling me they are selling all those wiis, and that with the huge profit from the DS, they cant ramp up production? bullshit, it uses a last gen graphics chip and motion sensitivity isnt exactly new, you telling me they cant open up a couple more factories for production?
its selling amazingly, but not that amazingly. they knew the wii would be a success though after putting a ds was. youve heard everywhere "the ds was testing the waters"

I wish it was that easy. Maybe you should become head of Nintendo since you obviously know how to run production better than Iwata.

Logan has the essential idea but I think he's oversimplifying the production of Wiis. The very first fact to address is that Nintendo is a multi-faceted company that has a variety of products to manufacture. What does Nintendo spend money on? Let's look:

• Wiis
  • DS Lites
  • Wii software (developing)
  • Wii software (publishing)
  • DS software (developing)
  • DS software (publishing)
  • Wii accessories
  • Wiimotes/Nunchucks
  • DS accessories
  • Licensing fees/other

Let's say Nintendo is considering building a factory. First of all, it has to look at long-term profitability; "will we really need this a few years later?". It has to look at costs of construction, parts to make hardware/software/accessories/ maintanence, and labor. If Nintendo decides to go ahead and open up another factory, it has to consider what to manufacture and in what ratios. It has to look at demand and try to figure just how much to make. Then it has to consider the amount of material it has to work with and order parts from other companies, who in turn have to consider a number of factors. Then of course, Nintendo has to decide how to distribute its products worldwide to attempt to meet need. Above all this, Nintendo has to keep in mind the holiday seasons where demand is going to be greatest.

It's not really a matter of "can it?" but "should it?". Also, the Wii IS selling amazingly unless you care to explain how selling more than 800k in 2 months in North America in the middle of summer is not a big deal.

Sovieto said:
zelda was delayed to help get the hype going, so obviously they do delay games for reasons other than working on them..;..

But how do you know this? I must have missed the thread where you said that you worked at Nintendo. Or did it outright come out and say "We delayed Zelda intentionally to toy with the fans and keep hype up"? Nintendo may delay games partially for reasons other than to work on the game but I highly doubt it's ever a main reason.

zelda was delayed for a total of 2 years i believe, 1 year for work then another for the wii release, wikipedia it or something

dakuda said:
This whole thread is speculation.

Yeah, but it's incredibly entertaining to watch people attempt to analyze Nintendo's business strategy, theorize on supply chain dynamics and 'splain production management for a global enterprise :smilewinkgrin:

~DT

@RedProdigy-Theres an edit icon, please use it instead of double posting.

@Dzapper-That sounds pretty fanboyish to me...=/

@MRCOOLGH-You cant say Nintendo is always there for it's fans then forget that they are trying to run a company. Truthfully, the two are completely oposite.

Scams arent new people. It'd not just because it doesnt happen often that describes the reason for a delay. For all you know, since this is all speculation like someone said, Sovieto could be right.

Sovieto said:
zelda was delayed for a total of 2 years i believe, 1 year for work then another for the wii release, wikipedia it or something
Why don't you write a letter to Nintendo then:

Dear Nintendo:

I'm tired of waiting for quality games. Please hurry up and rush out little pieces of **** for me play on my Wii and DS.

Thank You, Sovieto.

Seriously, that's what your saying now, Nintendo delays games to put in new features and extra levels of polish.

He didnt say all of them...

Tails McCloud~ said:
He didnt say all of them...
But he did name quite a few games, but anyway, the point is that Nintendo doesn't just keep games that are ready to ship on the shelf just to make us wait. And my first post that you said was "Fanboyish" was true. All companies delay games, it's just something that happens.

Back