No DVD for WII then no WII for me.

Mitch2025 said:
ok. i was th 2nd to post and ive said that the Wii WILLhave DVD support. why the hell are some of you complaining saying it isnt gonna have it? the thing is you are gonna have to buy an add on that will be at most $30.
source? i thought Nintendo confirmed they wont have it

Im not allowed to watch tv or movies in my room. Apparently ill stay up all night and watch tv or movies... so if I can get a dvd player without anyone knowing, score!

i dont have a source but im very sure that they said the Wii just needs an add on in order to play DVDs

Its called homebrew dvd player who needs an adapter it already has the ability to play dvds they just don't want you to have to pay more money for the wii in royalties and what not since they don't own the dvd name anyways if you don't have a dvd player you suck at life i mean seriosely go get one at a yard sell for $5 or get one of those realy cheap little ones at target for $26 they work so well its not even worth paying for anything more. Plus have you ever heard of youtube.com? the wii can play flash videos thats more then enough to replace a dvd player.

Heres the one i got at target:
http://salestores.com/symphoni.html

Mitch2025 said:
i dont have a source but im very sure that they said the Wii just needs an add on in order to play DVDs

Nintendo clearly stated pretty recently that Nintendo WII will not play Dvd's NOR Get a Dvd player attachment. And why buy an attachment for something you can buy for the same price?

Link_of_Hyrule said:
Its called homebrew dvd player who needs an adapter it already has the ability to play dvds they just don't want you to have to pay more money for the wii in royalties and what not since they don't own the dvd name anyways if you don't have a dvd player you suck at life i mean seriosely go get one at a yard sell for $5 or get one of those realy cheap little ones at target for $26 they work so well its not even worth paying for anything more. Plus have you ever heard of youtube.com? the wii can play flash videos thats more then enough to replace a dvd player.

Heres the one i got at target:
http://salestores.com/symphoni.html

thats exactly what i said, about the homebrew dvd player

A system dedicated to gaming....OH NO!!!!

Seriously, it's no big deal about DVD. That's kinda why they sell stand alone DVD player's for. A DVD player, shouldn't stop you from this great system. What it has to offer, is much better then DVD playback. I just want to game, that's why I have 3 DVD players, one for each TV. Well, one is mine, one is parents, and one is in the living room. Plus, the DVD playback probably wouldn't be top of the line anyway, and would drive the price of the Wii up, which makes it so appealing to me.

Ross

critofur said:
If I can watch DVDs on a WII I'll buy one, absolutely. :cool: I love how small it is, I've got a little kid, and a Japanese wife who loves video games. I think we'll really enjoy a WII. But, part of the reason I like it's small size is would be 'cause I'd love to have such a small device replace my home theater PC. I had a nice 5 disc Sony DVD changer which died a while ago. I don't want to buy a new seperate DVD player. If I can't play DVDs on a WII then I'll get a different console. :wtf:

Nintendo: if you must sell WIIs without DVD playback, then please, at least offer say a "special edition" WII for $50 more with DVD playing and a 2nd controller. Ok?
Ahh...ya big baby, the Wii is for gaming and if it can play dvds even better but if it doesn't i wouldn't care, i have 4 dvd players so i don't care but the Wii is for playing games, it doesn't need to have a dvd player for it to be good.

i dont remember the last time ive watched tv since the OC lol...
but if there is an add on so that you can play dvd's for the wii, ime definately getting it. i dont have any other dvd players bbesides my xbox and ime gonna sell that when i get my wii... i dont care about all that dolby 5.1 stuff. i was happy with my xbox as a dvd player:smilewinkgrin:

I Don't Want A Seperate Dvd Player!!!

Thought I made that clear already, guess not.

I bought a nice 5 disc changer Sony DVD player. It won't play some DVD-Rs and I've already had to take it apart to clean the laser once. I couldn't make it region free so I bought an el-cheepo WalMart type little DVD player. It died in a few months. So, I'm tired stand alone DVD players. Also, I just want ONE device under my TV. Simple, neat, clean, efficient. Less wires, less clutter.

I'm married and I have a kid, I want to simplify my life, make things easy.

I put the HTPC under the TV and thought that's that, I'm all set. But unfortunately I had to build the HTPC out of cheap and leftover parts. It started crashing some so I underclocked it. Worked fine for a couple more months, now Windows will only boot in safe mode. I could spend a few hours re-installing Windows, re-installing software, etc, but I'd rather not.

Consoles don't have these kind of problems (need to re-install the OS). If they did, they wouldn't survive. Consoles simply work, and if they don't, you replace it (hopefully it's under warranty and replaced free).

I've got a DVD player, I've got a laptop PC, I've got 4 desktop PCs, I've got a US PS2 and a Japanese PS2.

What I want is one small simple device under my TV that I can watch both US and Japanese DVDs on and also home movie DVDs on DVD-R and I want to be able to play some games on it. If I can make a Wii do that then I'll wait in line the first day they come out and buy one.

Otherwise, I'll try figure out how to convince my wife that we need to buy a new motherboard and an Intel Core CPU and re-build the HTPC and there will be no Wii money. We're both in college and can't justify the expense of both.

Last edited:
But the people at nintendo have put a stop from people bringing movies/games and playing them atleast thats with the games.

wolf231 said:
But the people at nintendo have put a stop from people bringing movies/games and playing them atleast thats with the games.
Oh yeah, that's another issue. It's so annoying that we have to use two seperate Playstation 2 consoles, one for my wife's games from Japan and one for my US games. It's beyond annoying. We'll be spending some time here in the US and some time in Japan and we'll probably bring some of our games/movies wherever we go. It's not tolerable to have them not be usable, it's rediculous. If I want to import a game, or buy a game while I'm in a foreign country, I want that to be MY choice, not controlled by some company. After all, I am the one paying for it. :mad5:

In the future, I don't think I'll be giving my $$$ to any company who's hardware can't be made region free. The companies are only ENCOURAGING mod chips by their assinine behavior (region locking). :crazy:

Back