No Hope for Character Costumes?

LevesqueIsKing

An Instant Classic
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Many of us had hoped that each character would come with their own set of costumes, rather than change colors. You know, Mario could be Dr. Mario instead of...erm...Blue Mario.

However, after the numerous videos seen today, its become apparent that these hopes are in vain. In one of the videos, Yoshi was shown changing colors from Green to Pink to Yellow on the character select screen. Of course, many things will change before Brawl's launch, but until then it seems as though we'll still be getting colors rather than costumes.

You guys as dissapointed as me? What are your opinions?

I don't know what the point of costumes is in this game, maybe it makes it more appealing to look at and gives your character more identity but it's just more work for them. and not a necessity. This thought didn't cross me though, it was nice with Soul Calibur and everything so they still might do it...

But, it's not like I'll just drop dead to the thought of not having a costume option.

If you read this article:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826602p1.html
it says that Link can change to Dark Link as a costume change, so there is still hope.
Here's a direct quote from the above article:
Since each character can also switch colors pre-fight, Nintendo took the opportunity to seamlessly include Dark Link as one of the character options. He fights the same, but looks totally badass, which is a must.

^I did read that quote and assumed that Link had simply taken a black color change.

There is nothing unique about Dark Link except color, which is why he could be integrated.

remember king(or should i call you leve? hmm..) That was only a demo. Now since their having extra time. their probably going to look into suggestions like this to see if its possible. now they might include a shop where you can buy trophies and stickers. their is a small chance they will do that. but mabye they might make the costumes just for looks, and not for you know. diffrent abilities. causing different FSA's

what if you collect coins through the game

and when you have alot of coins you can buy stuff
like costumes,stickers,trophies, and items for your character like gogles,ninja head band,ect

LevesqueIsKing said:
Many of us had hoped that each character would come with their own set of costumes, rather than change colors. You know, Mario could be Dr. Mario instead of...erm...Blue Mario.

However, after the numerous videos seen today, its become apparent that these hopes are in vain. In one of the videos, Yoshi was shown changing colors from Green to Pink to Yellow on the character select screen. Of course, many things will change before Brawl's launch, but until then it seems as though we'll still be getting colors rather than costumes.

You guys as dissapointed as me? What are your opinions?
what would make you think that they were supposed to have costumes, and mario can switch to luigi.

Well in one video there was pickachu with goggles on. Remember that that was only a demo. There could be costumes later on.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^I did read that quote and assumed that Link had simply taken a black color change.

There is nothing unique about Dark Link except color, which is why he could be integrated.
True, that. However, I think they'll be adding new costumes, considering they have 2+ months to get this **** done. I mean honestly, Nintendo owes it to themselves to make one of the greatest games in history. The little things count too. Ammirite?

I do understand your position on this though, LevesqueIsKing.

Last edited:
You have to remember that the game shown was a demo. Sakurai i'm sure was careful in what he put in item, character, stage, pokeball, AT, and costume wise. I don't think that he wanted to get rid of characters like roy, pichu, and doctor mario with alt costume at a private conference in japan. It's probaly just to mean for him. My guess is the only way we'll know if they got cut is when all of the dojo characters have been announced.

But I did hear that in one vid that pikachu had a costume change that used pichu's goggles.

im' personally glad....yeah they'll do it for some characters(dark link, blood falcon, the obvious ones) but i would ratehr have more characters(clones) than different costumes

Back