No image just green strip; can hear audio; help!

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
I have been playing last 2 weeks with no issues. I walked in today and turned my wii on and I get no picture, just a 3cm wide green stripe down the right side.

I can hear the audio, so the system is working, but no picture!

I have tried:

1) restarting. also tried completely reconnecting cables
2) Tried swapping component cables for composite -- but with composite I get no image at all
3) Tried changing monitor, but same problem.

so, it can't be the cable or the monitor. any other ideas?!?!?!

When something like this happens, I'm afraid you have to start fearing the worst :|

That sounds to me like your GPU has died. That can be caused by it getting to hot (inadequate cooling) or over/under voltage (PSU problem resulting in GPU death).

I hope it turns out to be OK but it sounds to me like a warranty repair/replacement job.

On Christmas Eve too - bummer :(

No, I think you'll be fine if you leave it on for long periods.

Generally, electronics nowadays are very reliable and work for years with no problems, but now and then like anything, you do get a faulty component. It's just the luck of the draw really.

I would say though, make sure there is plenty of space around your Wii (and it's PSU) for cooling. I know it has a cooling fan built in, but it's no good if it's just circulating hot air. The main cause of CPU/GPU death in PC's is insufficient cooling.

my wii has about 4 foot clearance left and front, 2 foot right and 1 foot back, but it's on the floor on lino and i heard sumthin bout static is that bad?

OK, well I feel a little embarrassed now. thank you for your wonderful help, as always this forum is very quick in response.

Turns out it WAS the component cables, the composite cables are working now. They didnt work when I tried it the first time because I just unplugged with component and plugged in the composite without restarting. When I did the same but reset the console it started working with composite.

Either it's the component cables or the monitor...good god I hope it's not my monitor! I will exchange the cables and see what happens. Do you think it is more likely the cable or the monitor? unfortunately i don't have anything else in my apartment that takes component so I can't test it.

I was panicking because I had invited 5 people over who were all waiting to have a Wii sports tournament and it wasn't working! I freaked out and I guess wasn't as methodical as I could have been. It's hard with 5 sets of eyes watching you!

talk about bad timing :(

lol !

Thank god for that :D

When I originally replied, I had presumed you had restarted after changing the leads.

Well, I hope your monitor turns out to be OK, but at least the pressure is off for your party tonight :)

Goots said:
lol !
Well, I hope your monitor turns out to be OK, but at least the pressure is off for your party tonight :)

cheers, though unfortunately it kind of killed the party. I didn't realise the wii wasn't working until people were already there. by the time i figured it all out we only got an hour or so in before people had to leave. grrr.

it happened so suddenly though. I was playing Red Steel, then I decided to start getting things ready. 5 minutes later I came back and the green strip was there.

could red steel have something to do with it? I only bought it yesterday...hmm, there's a thinker.

Wii17 said:
thank god i thought leaving it on all day might kill my wii lol

haha, if that were true I'd have killed mine the day I got it ;)

Last edited:
As long as you have space for the Wii to breathe, any amount of usage is probably fine.

phew!

Well I returned the component cables and managed to find another store to buy some from (no easy feat, i can tell you!). Thankfully, everything is working now -- which confirms that the issue was faulty cables and not a faulty Wii or monitor.

Appreciate the help everyone :)

Back