No More Heroes - Another Wii Flop?

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
Regular readers of NintendoLife would be forgiven for thinking that we’ve been getting out of the wrong side of the bed for the past week or so. The number of downbeat and negative news stories appearing is on the rise and sadly we’re about to add yet another.

Although we’re a bit on the late side with this news it appears that Grasshopper Manufacture’s (Killer 7) highly anticipated No More Heroes has flopped badly in Japan. According to reports the launch event, which took place in December, was a complete and utter failure and it took more than twenty minutes for anyone to purchase a copy of the game (and even then it was a videogame journalist). First day sales figures in Japan are thought to have been around 10,000. Not exactly the mega hit many people were predicting it would be, then.

After the similarly disappointing retail performance of Capcom’s Zack and Wiki, this comes as thoroughly depressing news as No More Heroes has received generally positive reviews from those who purchased the game on Japanese import. It also supports Jon Hare’s recent theory that third party publishers are losing out when it comes to supporting the Wii, with Nintendo’s titles being the only games that consumers seem even slightly interested in.

No More Heroes is due for release in the US on 22nd January (via Ubisoft) and in Europe on 29th February (thanks to Rising Star Games).

its sad when news like this comes out. heres the link
http://www.nintendolife.com/articles/2008/01/10/no_more_heroes_another_wii_flop

This is pretty old news, and in many of the discussions, this game doesn't really appeal to the japanese. No More Heroes is more of a NA and Others title. It should have a slightly better showing in NA, but I doubt it will break the top 10 in the sales charts (even lucky if it breaks the top 20). I have yet to see any ads for this game yet, so even if the game is good, it may experience Z&W syndrome.

I cant wait to buy this game. Sucks i have to wait till the 29th of February though =(

Two things were working against NMH Japanese release, IMO:

1) 3rd party games aren't what most Nintendo fans buy a Nintendo system for. Whether it be because they don't have the extra money to spend on multiple games, or they simply just like Nintendo franchises - I really don't know which.

2) Japan is a somewhat niche market for video games relative to the North American market for example. They have a broader taste for gaming, especially when it comes to North American style ones. Halo 3 is an example of the rest of the World vs. Japan.

And for the record, I will be buying it when it's released.

shikes said:
I cant wait to buy this game. Sucks i have to wait till the 29th of February though =(

i've got it preordered, but i'm lucky enough to have the earlier release date. :smilewinkgrin:

This will be a hit in America with our bloodthirsty Wii60 owners.

No offense, but NMH looks really stupid. It has nothing to do with a Japenese vs. NA thing, it has to do with the game not appealing to most consumers because it looks silly. The same thing with Zach and Wiki--most players have absolutely no interest in playing anime type cartoony games, nor do they have interest in playing an artistic, gritty type game with goofy looking enemies and a silly story like No More Heroes.

Maybe if third party developers started coming out with polished, well made titles, that actually appeal to everyone (and not anime fans, or emo kids), then they would be successful. Give us fully fleshed out wii mote sports titles like the NHL series, Ncaa series etc. Give us a Call of Duty game built from the ground up for wii. Give us a Star Wars game built from the ground up for wii. Give us a flight simulator. Give us some type of action adventure game that is adult in nature. Where's Metal Gear Solid Wii edition?

You have to realize that wii owners are split into 3 main demographics:

1.) Kids who's parents will buy them any game, and that will buy the Zach and Wiki type game, or no More Heroes because it appeals to them. They are into cartoon like games and the wii is the only system they own.

2.) The 18-30 Demographic. 90% of this demographic also owns either an xbox 360, or a ps3. Therefore, the only games these people want to play are the Nintendo exclusives (bc they grew up with them), and any other adult type games (RE4) that utilize the wii mote.

This demographic isn't going to touch games like Zach and Wiki or No More Heroes, because they are playing the COD4's, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, and other top tier titles on other system. Why are they going to drop the extra cash on a game like No More Heroes? The reason they buy all the top tier titles is because for the most part they all feature innovative controls, and are only available on wii.

3.) The 40+ crowd. For the most part these are the gamers only interested in the wii because of the control scheme. They want games like wii sports, wii play, and mario and sonic at the olympics. They are not going to invest in No More Heroes, or any other games that don't off mini game type play.

Developers need to realize that they need to make 3rd party titles that appeal to the 2nd and 3rd demographics I mentioned. I'm sure Zach and Wiki did great in the 6-13 years old age demo, and I am very sure that NMH is going to do well with 12-15 year olds--but in order for a 3rd party title to succeed they need to start giving the 18-30 year olds the games they want...and the over 40 crowd the party games they want.

P.S. It isn't really Nintendo's fault that 90% of their franchises are the best in the gaming business. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Party....I mean Nintendo's 1st party lineup alone is better than the sum of outstanding games currently on PS3, and comes very close to the offerings x360 has to offer...analysts want to claim gloom and doom on the wii based on lack of 3rd party support, except they fail to realize that the system has arguably the best 1st party games of any system out there right now. Aside from the Gamecube flopping, Nintendo's other 3 systems have more than proven the test of time based on their quality 1st party offerings.

Bumble14 said:
No offense, but NMH looks really stupid. It has nothing to do with a Japenese vs. NA thing, it has to do with the game not appealing to most consumers because it looks silly. The same thing with Zach and Wiki--most players have absolutely no interest in playing anime type cartoony games, nor do they have interest in playing an artistic, gritty type game with goofy looking enemies and a silly story like No More Heroes.

Maybe if third party developers started coming out with polished, well made titles, that actually appeal to everyone (and not anime fans, or emo kids), then they would be successful. Give us fully fleshed out wii mote sports titles like the NHL series, Ncaa series etc. Give us a Call of Duty game built from the ground up for wii. Give us a Star Wars game built from the ground up for wii. Give us a flight simulator. Give us some type of action adventure game that is adult in nature. Where's Metal Gear Solid Wii edition?

1.) Kids who's parents will buy them any game, and that will buy the Zach and Wiki type game, or no More Heroes because it appeals to them. They are into cartoon like games and the wii is the only system they own.

2.) The 18-30 Demographic. 90% of this demographic also owns either an xbox 360, or a ps3. Therefore, the only games these people want to play are the Nintendo exclusives (bc they grew up with them), and any other adult type games (RE4) that utilize the wii mote.

This demographic isn't going to touch games like Zach and Wiki or No More Heroes, because they are playing the COD4's, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, and other top tier titles on other system. Why are they going to drop the extra cash on a game like No More Heroes? The reason they buy all the top tier titles is because for the most part they all feature innovative controls, and are only available on wii.

3.) The 40+ crowd. For the most part these are the gamers only interested in the wii because of the control scheme. They want games like wii sports, wii play, and mario and sonic at the olympics. They are not going to invest in No More Heroes, or any other games that don't off mini game type play.

Developers need to realize that they need to make 3rd party titles that appeal to the 2nd and 3rd demographics I mentioned. I'm sure Zach and Wiki did great in the 6-13 years old age demo, and I am very sure that NMH is going to do well with 12-15 year olds--but in order for a 3rd party title to succeed they need to start giving the 18-30 year olds the games they want...and the over 40 crowd the party games they want.

P.S. It isn't really Nintendo's fault that 90% of their franchises are the best in the gaming business. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Party....I mean Nintendo's 1st party lineup alone is better than the sum of outstanding games currently on PS3, and comes very close to the offerings x360 has to offer...analysts want to claim gloom and doom on the wii based on lack of 3rd party support, except they fail to realize that the system has arguably the best 1st party games of any system out there right now. Aside from the Gamecube flopping, Nintendo's other 3 systems have more than proven the test of time based on their quality 1st party offerings.

A spot on post:thumbsup:

Bumble14 said:

well you're at least partially wrong, since i'm 24 and am getting no more heroes, the guy behind me in line at the store was probably 40 something, he preordered it also, as well as everyone that worked at the store ages ranging from 18-3X. I don't think that it's sales are going to break any records or even come close, but you make it sound like it's going to have <100 copies sold. It'll sell well, probably not exceptionally well, but well none-the-less. As for MGS4 Wii Edition, i believe sony has the exclusive rights to that game, which is why i'll be adding a PS3 to my television.

I agree that we do need games built specifically for the wii, which will happen more often now than it has been since the "gamecube leftovers" are pretty much done. But i would be extremely shocked if any great (simulation) sports games or "adult" adventure games ever come out from Nintendo. That is where we need 3rd party, and i'm think the 3rd party games in the future will be a lot better than what we've seen for the past year+(at least i'm hopeful haha). But yeah, i do agree with you on most points, however i find this game to be rather appealing, that's just a matter of opinion though.

kyle

p.s.- i can't imagine this game doing well with the 12-15 year old demo, i just can't see parents buying this for kids that young... at least not overly thoughtful ones... Don't get me wrong, i think a normal 15 year old should be able to play a game like this and be able to think about it completely separate from reality so i'm not saying it like one of those activists that claim that music/movies/games are making kids shoot kids and stuff, but that does mean i would buy a game like this for my kids either(if i had kids of course)

Last edited:
Bumble14 said:

No players have any interest in playing anime type cartoony games? I can give you one example out of the million on the list: Pokemon.

Gears of War is artistic, and gritty. No goofy looking enemies, but the story was cliche to the point of being silly. And last I recall, it sold fairly well.

Again, from all the reports I've seen - both first hand and second hand - show that Zack & Wiki is polished and well made. Critics and players (the ones who aren't closed minded to the point of dismissing a game based purely on it's graphics *cough*) that have played it, love it.

Fully fleshed out Wiimote sports titles? Adult oriented action/adventure games? I'd really like to see those too, so I can't argue there.

Every console is split into different demographics. It's the ratios that are different with each console.

So the 18-30 demographic is too busy playing all the games on Xbox/PS aimed towards them? Yet you want Nintendo to start making fully fleshed sports/adult oriented games? (I really hope you don't think Wiisports is a fully fleshed out sports game) Again, NMH is that game, yet no one bought it (Wii exclusive/motion controls). You can complain about the "cartoony" graphics all you want, but the Wii isn't exactly a powerhouse in the visual department. So if you want my opinion, any sort of realistic looking game on the Wii will look like crap because of the low texture resolution.

SIDE NOTE: Zack & Wiki also has amazing motion sensor controls.

Agreed. My parents own a Wii, and only play Wiisports for the most part.

I'm pretty sure we have a ton of party games already.

Bumble14 said:

Your post, Although 75% correct is stupid.
Maybe you need to have a read up of NMH because it does feature a sort of Mini game system and as other people have said it DOES appeal to the 40+ demo. So learn before you post

It was never going to seel well in Japan. Since when has the Japanese market been good for games like this? This title wont be a flop, trust me.

smyth said:
well you're at least partially wrong, since i'm 24 and am getting no more heroes, the guy behind me in line at the store was probably 40 something, he preordered it also, as well as everyone that worked at the store ages ranging from 18-3X. I don't think that it's sales are going to break any records or even come close, but you make it sound like it's going to have <100 copies sold. It'll sell well, probably not exceptionally well, but well none-the-less. As for MGS4 Wii Edition, i believe sony has the exclusive rights to that game, which is why i'll be adding a PS3 to my television.

He said Metal Gear Solid. Not Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm assuming he means Twin snakes, seeing as how thats the only MGS game i've seen released on a nintendo.

Also, i don't plan on getting this game. It looks...ok. I've read up on it, but it's just not super appealing to me. currently it's under rent status. we'll see what happens after that.

Back