No More Heroes Review

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
"If this game gets a good review, will you buy it?"​

With No More Heroes, everything you knew about Wii games gets thrown out the door. This game is much bloodier and has more mature themes than anything ever seen on Wii. The game is also one of the more original titles released as of late.

The story focuses on a nerdy Anime lover, Travis Touchdown, and his attempt at being the number one assassin. He is drawn into this mess thanks in part to a girl he was interested in at the bar one night, Sylvia Christel. After obtaining a Katana off an online auction, she throws Travis into an assassination job by trying to take out the number 11 assassin. After killing him, he learns that he is in this for the long haul. People will come after him, trying to improve their ranks so Travis must continue fighting.

Gameplay​

Using Travis' Katana is very simple and satisfying. Simply press the A button a few times in a row to create a combo of strikes, and when given the sign, perform a death blow by swinging the remote in the proper direction. Keep in mind you need to charge your beam sword when its run out of power, which is done by pressing the one button and then swinging the remote left and right as fast as possible to charge it. Make sure your in a safe place, as enemies won't wait for you to charge up. You can also throw in kicks and punches, which may stun enemies, and if an enemy is stunned wrestling moves can be performed by swinging both the nunchuck and wiimote in the directions indicated. This will cause you to DDT, Suplex and Slam your opponents. Also scattered in each level is treasure chests which may contain money or trading cards, along with health and battery pickups, so be sure to seek those out.

Before you can fight the next assassin you must pay an entry fee. The money is earned through simple chores which waste no time, and take nothing away from the action. There are two types of things you can do to get money, go to the job center and do chores (collect coconuts) or K-Entertainment and do side assassin missions (kill as many as you can before you die).

Traveling to the jobs is done by riding around on your motorcycle. The bike, which is controlled by pressing A for gas, B for brake/reverse, Z for nitrous and down on the D pad to get off, is a fun way of getting around.

Santa Destroy, the city itself is not great looking but its not bad. Most buildings have little detail on them, and there is no interaction between cars or people when your free roaming around on your bike. There is places for you to go to in the city though, besides the jobs and what not. The video store for example is a place to rent wrestling tapes, which lead to learning new wrestling moves.

Once you've paid off the entry fee, you can continue your climb to the top. Each level has you going through countless enemies, until you reach the end Boss or Assassin. You are often informed by Sylvia (calls your phone, and you listen to her call by placing your remote on your ear) when you are almost near the Boss. Each Boss is crazy and different from the next, and each always say or do funny things. Once your fighting be prepared for a good and fun match which will test your sword and grappling skills, as the Bosses can be difficult.

Extras​

There is not much in the way of extras, but you will surely want to upgrade your beam, buy new clothes, and learn new moves and takedowns.

Also, you will want to take a break from the action sometimes I am sure and going to your apartment to waste time is a good choice. The toilet is used to save (which is done by him sitting on it), the fridge can be used to regain health if need be, your TV is used to watch your rental tapes, your closet is used to change your wardrobe, your phone is used to hear messages about overdue videos and assassin fights, and there is a whole bunch else to do as well. One of the better ones is playing with your cat, you may spend a good ten minutes playing around with the cute little thing.

Presentation 8/10

8-bit interfaces and menu's are a treat and have a nice retro feel. Ugly city and bad pop-ins take away some of the presentation.

Graphics 9/10

Cell shading is done well, and many of the characters and Bosses look great.
City again though is quite ugly as well as some of the levels in the game.

Sounds 10/10

Every line of the game is funny, and the sounds of the game are great. Catchy theme song as well.

Gameplay 10/10

Great story and controls. Side missions are not a distraction and the Boss battles are great.

Future Playability 6/10

Multiplayer of some sort would have been a good feature. There is two difficulties to play through if you started on easy as you may want to play the harder one after, and going through the game collecting every item may be a good challenge. There is also two different endings which you will surely want to. You will want to show your friends how great the game is, but after that there isn't much left to do.

Overall 43/50

All in all its a must have for Wii owners (older crowd of course), a must play at least. Fans of Suda 51 will love this game, and "hardcore gamers" wull want to sink their teeth into this one, or they should! A sequel would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
i'll consider getting NMH after a price drop.

i've learned not to blow 50 bucks on a single player game (unless it's mario or zelda of course).

Great review. I've got some questions:

-Is this game rated M?
-Did you write this review?

Anyway, I'm definetly interested in the wrestling bit :p I didn't think much about this game until after reading this. I'll definetly be picking this up, but not until a price drop. Will be checking this out online and [hopefully] on the Everybody's Nintendo channel.

Thanks again, Brandon.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Great review. I've got some questions:

-Is this game rated M?
-Did you write this review?

Anyway, I'm definetly interested in the wrestling bit :p I didn't think much about this game until after reading this. I'll definetly be picking this up, but not until a price drop. Will be checking this out online and [hopefully] on the Everybody's Nintendo channel.

Thanks again, Brandon.

-Yes
-Yes

Its my favourite Wii game so far, easily.

forgot to say, great review!

i'm sure you know how hard it is to find an UNbiased game review on these forums!

The bloods

The gore is cut out here:shocked: :wtf: that means i might not be picking it up

I don't understand why so many gamers have the mentality that if it's not gory it's not that good.....anywho, i picked this up yesterday ,and despite the open world which is under whelming the action is great in this game. One of my favorite Wii games ,and I would love to see a Wii sequel ,and maybe even a DS side story

Back