No News or Weather without STANDBY?

leewebster said:
Sorry guys, we probably arent explaining what we mean properly. When you press the power button on your wii and turn it off, it all shuts down and you get an orange light on the front. This means you're still able to download updates, messages etc. But if you have the connect24 standby mode turned off, when you press the power button on your will it turns off just the same, but you have a red light on the front, which means the system will not download updates etc.

But the point is that either way, when the wii is turned on again it should be able to connect to all the services. But if you're a red-light person it will refuse to connect to the news and weather at all, even though all the other services (internet, vote channel) will.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

Of course this has nothing to do with router settings, changing channel etc...That's just how it is. It also happens to me. The optional settings for me would be for wiiconnect24 to be turned off when the console is off (i.e red light) and on when the console is on. I imagined this could be done by turning on wiiconnect but leaving standby off. Alas. This cannot be done. How dumb was Nintendo about this? come on guys! common sense!

Last edited:
Nintendo is not dumb.

I don't see the problem you have iceblade because you don't make it clear enough.

seems pretty clear to me. like me when the wii is off (stadby, little red light) he dont want it connecting to wifi but when the wii's on he does (full use of all channels).

I really would like this feature sorted as the wii's wifi signal sometimes interfears with an av sender i use.

Cant see why the wether and news channel cant update when the wii is first switched on?

Retman said:
Nintendo is not dumb.

I don't see the problem you have iceblade because you don't make it clear enough.

Dude, Retman explained it perfectly in the post I quoted. When Wiiconnect24 is on but standby is off you can't access weather channel, news channel, everybody votes channel but you CAN access internet channel. Do you want me to spell it out for you? jeez
And are you offended when I said Nintendo is dumb? Do you work at Nintendo? If you do then can you fix this, if not what exactly is your problem? A simple, basic function that doesn't work = dumb manufacturer fault

joebmc said:
seems pretty clear to me. like me when the wii is off (stadby, little red light) he dont want it connecting to wifi but when the wii's on he does (full use of all channels).

I really would like this feature sorted as the wii's wifi signal sometimes interfears with an av sender i use.

Cant see why the wether and news channel cant update when the wii is first switched on?

exactly

Last edited:
The weather and news channel cant update when the wii is on because it isn't online.

Deal with it.

Retman said:
The weather and news channel cant update when the wii is on because it isn't online.

Deal with it.
dude we are telling you WiiConnect24 in ON
Standby is OFF in the options and still Wii isn't online for news weather etc.
We want Wiiconnect OFF when the console is OFF and ON when the console is ON. In the menu you see Wiiconnect-> On, Off, Standby-> On, Off. Can you please give me a reason why should the standby option affect Wiiconnect when the console is ON?
Instead of dealing with it I say Nintendo should fix it.

Last edited:
Yup I've been having the same problem, and to the guy who cant deal with Nintendo being criticized, grow up mate. I really feel sorry for you if u cant admit Nintendo have made an easily fixable mistake

iceblade said:
dude we are telling you WiiConnect24 in ON
Standby is OFF in the options and still Wii isn't online for news weather etc.
We want Wiiconnect OFF when the console is OFF and ON when the console is ON. In the menu you see Wiiconnect-> On, Off, Standby-> On, Off. Can you please give me a reason why should the standby option affect Wiiconnect when the console is ON?
Instead of dealing with it I say Nintendo should fix it.

To get wiiconnect24 off when the console is off you press the power button in for a while untill the LED goes red. Simple

Nintendo shouldn't fix it, since its not a major problem, it is just you lot complaining because you cant get your own way.

Retman said:
To get wiiconnect24 off when the console is off you press the power button in for a while untill the LED goes red. Simple
That is correct, however I would like to be able to turn it off from the wiimote like this and I think it can't be done. If you knwo how this can be done pplease tell me. Also if you do that (press the power button for a while), is this a hard power off or soft power off? I don't care if it is my way, your way, or anyone's way. I just want this to work.
Retman said:
Nintendo shouldn't fix it, since its not a major problem, it is just you lot complaining because you cant get your own way.
No more charcoaaaaaaaallllll!!!!!

Last edited:
Retman said:

Yes this works (never knew that so thanks :thumbsup: )

But its still inconvenient,means i have to get off my sofa, which makes the on/off button on the remote pointless.

Retman said:

Well they should really, if the options there to have wifi off when the consoles off and on when its on. It kinda seems like a bug to me. I mean why can i access the shop and internet when wii24 off but not the weather/news.

All Nintendo need to do is make it so as soon as i switch on the wii it gets the updates. My 7 year pc can do it :p

I don't see a problem at all, just turn standby on, end of story, and don't say that you can't use standby, yes you can, don't say that it makes the Wii to hot, it dosen't, and if it does, move the Wii, if it gets that hot in standby, you are putting the Wii in a place without enough airflow, I have my Wii on top of all my equipment in the wide open, and I have standby on, and yes, my Wii does get warm, but not hot, and it's not going to melt a disc or anything, listen, there is a reason standby is on there, the only reason it has a way to shut off standby is because, if you do not have an interent connection, why have a standby mode if it's not going to connect to anything?

Long story short, just leave standby (orange light) on, there will be no problems

Originally Posted by leewebster
Sorry guys, we probably arent explaining what we mean properly. When you press the power button on your wii and turn it off, it all shuts down and you get an orange light on the front. This means you're still able to download updates, messages etc. But if you have the connect24 standby mode turned off, when you press the power button on your will it turns off just the same, but you have a red light on the front, which means the system will not download updates etc.

But the point is that either way, when the wii is turned on again it should be able to connect to all the services. But if you're a red-light person it will refuse to connect to the news and weather at all, even though all the other services (internet, vote channel) will.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

Personnally i solve the problem this way:

i have the connect24 standby mode turned on but im not using it....so when i shutdown my wii I keep my finger on the power button until the orange light turn to red light.

So when i open my wii after i can access all the service....Your wii wont look for update when your not there because it will be close but you will still be able to access everything when you open it back !!!!

Cool !!!

the only problem is you cant turn off the system to red light from youre wiimote you have to do it on the console. because from the wiimote it will put the system in standby instead of closing it.

SO PROBLEM SOLVE I THINK :D ...If i'm really getting what he was asking about !?!

Last edited:
Ok, first off sorry for bumping up and old thread but it seems to be the only one about this subject (I found this site through a google search for it).
Have to say I think Retman's replies are those of an idiot and here's why:
I've just got a Wii and set it up on my wireless network alongside my PC, xbox360, laptop and i-pod touch.
Due to all these things I've had to fix the IP address and setup the port forwarding (as I've also done for the xbox and PC due to P2P etc) and had plenty of issues with the wireless but that's for another thread....
As the wii only came with a "dumb" three phono to scart adaptor there's no built in scart switching ability, meaning I had to keep manually selecting the AV input channel on my TV (which is a pain as the menu stays up for ages!) so I bought a gold plated scart lead.
This now switches the TV over correctly (as per the DVD, video or digi box) except due to the completely dumb wiiconnect24 it holds the TV onto the AV channel even when the console is in standby (orange light). - Think blank black screen.....
The only way I can stop this happening is to either manually hold the console's power button till it goes to red (not convenient due to console being out of the way of my daughter's prying fingers), or disable the wiiconnect24's standby so that the remote can put the console into red standby (which has the annoying side effect of stopping the news and weather channels working)
Seems like even after two years this is still an issue or has anyone found a proper working solution that doesn't involve losing the weather and news channels functionality and still allows red shutdown via the wiimote?

Back