Not that important, but...

iOwnage

Confiscation of the Mind
Oct 21, 2007
Connecticut
Wii Online Code
8957-2822-1883-9918
Why does everyone call it the NINTENDO Wii? I mean, I know the company is Nintendo, I'm not an idiot. But the official name of the console actually is just Wii. You don't see people going around saying "Hey, you know about that Microsoft Xbox 360?" I don't know... It's just something thats been bugging me, and all the sections in this forum are NINTENDO Wii ______.

I know, I know. Not that important.

cause some non gamers don't know what a wii is.

liek, if you walked up to some old English guy and said "i like playing w/ my wii" he'd be like: :wtf:

yeah, strange name. . .

Good point, what Jake said is probably right, however a lot of people wouldn't know what you were talking about if you said Xbox 360 so I think ownage's point still stands.

iOwnage said:
Why does everyone call it the NINTENDO Wii? I mean, I know the company is Nintendo, I'm not an idiot. But the official name of the console actually is just Wii. You don't see people going around saying "Hey, you know about that Microsoft Xbox 360?" I don't know... It's just something thats been bugging me, and all the sections in this forum are NINTENDO Wii ______.

I know, I know. Not that important.
:lol:

Try not to let it get to you, however for decades now Nintendo has stamped there brand name to every product to date excluding Pokemon and of course the Nintendo Wii. :lol:

Try not to let it bother you, it's merely a habit. :smilewinkgrin:

JAKE196 said:
cause some non gamers don't know what a wii is.

liek, if you walked up to some old English guy and said "i like playing w/ my wii" he'd be like: :wtf:

yeah, strange name. . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i cant stop laughin

My ma and pop didn't realize my Wii was a Nintendo product for about 3 months after I got it. I happened to mention it one day, and they were shocked that the company they had bought from several times in past (Nes, GB, GBpockt, N64) was this same company.

Despite the advertising, some people miss the fact that it is a Nintendo product, and the fact that it's Ninty is a selling point for many.

i like using both nintendo wii and wii because sometimes i dont feel like saying nintendo. or somethimes using wii alone goes all wrong. if everyone called the xbox360, microsoft 360, who would know its a gaming console. well some will find out but the general public wont know untils someone tells them.

Mr. person said:
The nintendo part is part of the Wii's name and, yeah, wat the other people said not everyone will know it is nintendo's

No. The official name for Wii is just Wii. Nintendo is not a part of it. Wii is the first console that doesn't include "Nintendo" in the name.

well, nintendo has a way of always butting there name in the title....it sound good anyways....and it makes people want to buy because they know that nintendo is a big name. Another reason is that...wii is to short and sound like it is missing somthing....but xbox360 and ps3 are long names so it good.....does that sum it up

Well, the name has stuck on consoles.

The SNES was often called the Super Nintendo.
The N64 was called Nintendo 64.

The NES/Gamecube didn't adopt it as well, though.

But I dunno. It's kinda like names.

Some people's first and last name just roll off the tounge, like mine. People always call me by my first and last name.

Some, though, don't have that rolling.

I guess Nintendo Wii rolls off the tounge.

Trulen said:

Some people's first and last name just roll off the tounge, like mine. People always call me by my first and last name.

Nintendo Entertainment System.

playstation does it too.
wii does sound a little odd said on it's own.
some bought the wii just because it was a nintendo console. i know that was a big selling point for me.

Trulen said:

Going to have to disagree with you on the GameCube friend, as it was popular to drop off the "Nintendo" from the GameCube title however the logo was clear, and the full name was Nintendo GameCube....
gamecube_logo.jpg

owlsgo already tackled the NES, however I will take it one step farther. During it's original lifetime the system was generally referenced as the "Nintendo", of course abbreviation of it's full name brought about the N.E.S. The Super Nintendo was again referenced in the same fashioned, and again abbreviated in almost the same way as it's predecessor.

nes.jpg

The Ultra64 could have been another, boasting acrade quality graphics and sound, and was meant to simply be the Ultra64. However upon release the name was changed to "Nintendo 64" thus carrying the tradition of the console carrying the same name as the company, and again commonly abbreviated N64.

Now these rules do not apply in Japan, as the system was called the Famicom (Family Computer) during it's lifespan there. This would also include Nintendo's version of the first and second generation consoles, back when Pong was popular in the U.S., therefore Nintendo's Color TV Game did not borrow the companies name as well. :)

Check out the early game systems by Nintendo that pre-dates the classic NES...

Back