Not Understanding the Wi-Fi Hate

kbaker2002

WiiChat Member
Mar 16, 2009
My online play has been a little limited, however I honestly don't understand the hate for the Nintendo Wi-Fi online system. I have played both Mario Kart and COD:WAW online, both are very easy to get onto, you get put right into a game and everything runs smoothly. I haven't used FC's but they don't seem like they would be any more annoying to enter than all the BS user names morons come up with for online, and it seems that once you enter the FC the Wii system saves it.

I don't have and Xbox so I haven't used XBL, I have used my sisters PS3 which doesn't seem like any real improvement on Wii Channels etc.

I am asking an honest question seeking honest answers not fanboy flaming. What are we Nintendo Wii fans missing from the online experience that is so damn crucial and exciting?? All I hear is "XBL Rocks and Wii online sucks" as an entire argument. Thanks all.

On Xbox live, you don't have to type in the usernames, you can just send them a friend invite (I'm pretty sure thats how it is.) And also in Xbox live you can talk to anyone on any game even if their not on your friend list. Hell, you can even talk to some one playing a different game than you. On the wii, you cant just send a person a friend invite, you have to somehow obtain their wii fc and give them yours, and that not possible to do with a complete stranger, because with wii speak you can ONLY talk to people already on your friends list who's playing the same game as you. And very few games are compatible with wii speak. And their online servers suck. When I still tried playing wii games online, there would be atleast one time ever two weeks where I couldn't log in for several hours cause of the servers being down or something.

Plus with the Wii, each game has a different friend code, so you have a whole different list of codes to enter for each game. With the others, you have a user account that's common across all games.

It really is subject to opinion.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...stage-2-from-tim-schafer-to-reggie-fils-aime/

"Andrew Oliver, chief technology officer, Blitz Games Studio responds: “Adding an extra dimension to games is clearly the way forward, although clearly we’re going with one dimension at a time.”

I told Oliver that he could ask a question for Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime who I needed to rush off to interview. Oliver thought for a while and told me that he’s got one about online. He’s a multi-console user and found that the Wii was the least of a hassle for him to get online (he didn’t have to go to a website, buy a WiFi add-on or any other things). So …

Andrew Oliver question for Reggie Fils-Aime: “Your console is the easiest machine to get online, but unfortunately most software doesn’t use any online functions. Would you like that to change?”

Fils-Aime loved this question, of course. How many times do you think an interviewer has praised the Wii’s online capabilities in a question? But, hey, I’m just the messenger…

Reggie Fils-Aime responds: “I think he’s dead on in terms of, out of the box, our ability to take you online is unsurpassed. In our view, there is untapped opportunity in packaged software to have an online element. We’re seeing more and more of that: downloadable content with ‘Rock Band,’ with ‘Guitar Hero…’ What Nintendo is doing is messaging to the consumer how easy it is to get online and all of the benefits. That messaging began last fall with some pre-installed content that messages: ‘Here’s everything you get as a benefit of going online…. You can go online and play ‘Mario Kart,‘ there’s channels…” We’re committed to driving our installed base. And, certainly, for any consumers who already enjoying downloadable content, the SD card and high-capacity SD card capabilities that we announced today takes it to a whole other level."

On Xbox live, you don't have to type in the usernames, you can just send them a friend invite (I'm pretty sure thats how it is.) And also in Xbox live you can talk to anyone on any game even if their not on your friend list. Hell, you can even talk to some one playing a different game than you. On the wii, you cant just send a person a friend invite, you have to somehow obtain their wii fc and give them yours, and that not possible to do with a complete stranger, because with wii speak you can ONLY talk to people already on your friends list who's playing the same game as you. And very few games are compatible with wii speak. And their online servers suck. When I still tried playing wii games online, there would be atleast one time ever two weeks where I couldn't log in for several hours cause of the servers being down or something.

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the reply. I do see how this could be a big deal to some, right now it is not to me so to each their own. I will say the more I find out about WiiSpeak the less I like it as a peripheral, and I think that a headset would have been a better way to go as opposed to a speakerphone.

Back