Not User Friendly!!!

DarkReaper33

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
:mad: I will not be surprised if an overwhelming amount of WIIs are returned because it is virtually impossible to connect to the internet. I have tried EVERY route possible to get connected. Even went out and bought the Wi-Fi USB connector to no avail! Tried inputing my correct wep code,IP, DNS, Subnet masks codes etc. and NOTHING! It is a pitty that my children will not be able to enjoy the full capability of this Wii machine.:mad5: I have spent more than 8 hours trying to accomplish this. I have followed every piece of advice I could find on the Nintendo support site including this frustrating forum. Adminstrators reading this please contact me at my email provided when I signed up for this and please post solutions to this COMMON problem. Thanks! Other than that, the Wii is an EXTREMELY fun system and we enjoy playing it daily with no other problems!:crazy:

It connected to my router perfectly as soon as I turned it on. Seems pretty user friendly to me. :crazy:

Well...You've probably already read this but it's only 802.11b compatible, not 802.11g...Just thought I'd add that.

WiiMemo said:
Well...You've probably already read this but it's only 802.11b compatible, not 802.11g...Just thought I'd add that.
I've got a 802.11g router and it works just fine...

It's compatible with a G router in Mixed or B only mode. The chipset in the Wii is B, G routers are made to be backward compatible with B, but if you have your router set to "G Only" the Wii won't find it.

theres nintendo cost cutting again........no backwards compatibility. and wireless-g is faster and more reliable.

Ok, this "router" angle of attack is new to me, thank you very much. Now, how do I change the router to find both "G" and "B"?? Scanned all the settings and can't find this option. I have a "G" of course because it is FASTER.:ihih:

Glad to hear that some people actually got this system to work, is it worth the headache it has been giving me?????:yikes:

Well, I will check back tommorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes set it up so you can get firmware updates... There were a few...

It only took a few minutes. first I needed to write down my hex version of the security code from my router and provide that key in the Wii. I also had to add the mac address (available from one of the wii menus) to my router since I have security enabled to only allow explicit machines on the net. I'm using a NetGear 802.11 g router that has a 'b' compatible mode.

Thanks Corey. I will try that. I already looked for firmware updates and there were none for my linksys wcg200-cc router provided by my cable company.

Well...You've probably already read this but it's only 802.11b compatible, not 802.11g...Just thought I'd add that

According to the official specs of the Nintendo Wii Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g which means that routers do not have to be in mixed mode B and G only routers should work mine does.

Last edited:
Are you refering the wep code as the hex code? I also do not have an wireless access filter enabled. Trying again........grrrrr still get stupid error code 52230 and computer cannot see the wii.

Thank you Snoop. I don't have a b/g router just a "g" and it is real close to becoming an "F" = flat...under the back tire of my car along with the wii.

Most G routers are also B routers. just make sure they are in dual mode. Also yes I do mean the WEP code. I also had wireless access filtering enabled.

ok. looking for "dual mode"..........

notta. nothing. not an option that I can find.

I am giving up for today. This time for sure. So far I have spent around 11 hours now on this wii connection!!!:frown2: I will try again tomorrow.

Actually I had 802.b setup and wii would connect initially done the updates and would not connect thereafter .it was only after I baught a 802.11g that it worked and the same for the ds.

Back