Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Noticing Artifcats. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by dballgen3, Mar 16, 2007.

1. dballgen3

dballgen3 WiiChat Member

I just noticed some wierd black dots on my screen. It is in baseball when the ball goes high and the air and the camera follows it.

It only shows up when the camera and ball are falling and there is the blue sky in the background. On the blue sky I see small black pixels.

This is the only time I can see these, but its annoying and I hope my wii isn't dieing. I have a launch wii and was planning on installing a modchip, but I was waiting on my tri-wing. Good thing I didn't install it But, can anyone replicate this problem? Is it normal? What to do !?!

ps: I have a 32" flatscreen crt tv non hd Thanks

2. Two Dollar

Two Dollar WiiChat Member

I notice some black artifacts as well. Not sure what it is or why it occurs. Its not always there but it happens occassionally during all games I play. I have a 34" Toshiba Widescreen CRT television and am using the OEM Nintendo component cables. Anyone have any ideas or how to correct it?

3. ThrillSeeker

ThrillSeeker The Italian

Wii Friend Code: 2128-5991-2659-7269
    2128-5991-2659-7269
    I've noticed the same black dots while playing SSX Blur on my 32" sony wega flatscreen tube. It's weird, I don't understand how come they're there on that tv, but not on another one I have. I need to test it out on my 58" plasma to see if the same problem occurs.

4. dballgen3

dballgen3 WiiChat Member

I read more about it online and found alot of people have this problem. Some think it is caused by wiiconnect24 overheating the wii while it is in standby. Nintendo will send you a new wii for free.

What a pain though :mad2:

5. Two Dollar

Can you post a link to what you read online?

6. My god the Wii owns...

Yea, lol. "Hey...Nintendo?" *draws black dots on TV* "Yea...my Wii is faulty. Can I have a new one?"

7. dballgen3

dballgen3 WiiChat Member

8. ThrillSeeker

ThrillSeeker The Italian

2128-5991-2659-7269
    Man if this is actually a damn problem, I'm going to be so pissed. This is ridiculous. I purposely didn't buy a launch wii for this reason.

9. My god the Wii owns...

Oh god...the warranty's over...this crap better not happen for me.

10. WolfpacSnakepit

WolfpacSnakepit snoogins

Wii Friend Code: 7300-6469-2862-5349
    7300-6469-2862-5349
    oh boo freakin' hoo! A few black pixels every now and then!!! U poor babies!

Who (with a life) gives a ****?

11. Two Dollar

I care because I invested $279 (CDN) on a unit and hundreds more on accessories and games and I expect the system to work flawlessly for that price. If there is a manufacturer defect I expect a replacement under warranty. Thank god I live in the same town as Nintendo Canada's head office!

12. dballgen3

dballgen3 WiiChat Member

How is the warranty over? Its 1 yr + 90 days if you register it

13. Joshieca

Joshieca Oh yeah, its me!

Maybe its the Twilight Princess trying to communicate?

14. WolfpacSnakepit

WolfpacSnakepit snoogins

Wii Friend Code: 7300-6469-2862-5349
    7300-6469-2862-5349
    :cryin: <--- You.

It's only the cheapest system on the market and IS flawless. A few little black pixels now and then hardly registers as a manufacturer defect... Stop crying and get over it. I've probably spent more on my Wii than you have on yours and do you hear me having a whinge? No. Grow up.

15. Two Dollar

How do you figure that constant black "noise" on the screen caused by an overheating video card is not a manufacturer defect? I would say that is the definition of a manufacturer defect.

I hope your Wii hasn't suffered the same defect as mine; however, should it in the future, I hope you take the proper steps to have your Wii fixed prior to the warranty expiring. I will be calling Nintendo Canada on my first day off work (Thursday) and I assume they will rectify my problem.

16. ThrillSeeker

ThrillSeeker The Italian

2128-5991-2659-7269
    I called Nintedno last night and informed them of my problem. I explained it in detail as much as I could, mentioning what I believed the cause was and what others in the forums have said. The guy I was speaking with was very nice and really helpful. I was so impressed. Best customer service I've ever dealt with. As soon as he had an understanding of the issue and made sure he was clear, he sent me an email with a repair order number and told me I could send in my wii for repairs if I choose. So I'm very pleased about that, but not about the fact that my wii's gpu has already started crappin out. I noticed that after turning off wiiconnect that my wii is now cool all the time, even while playing games, and that the artifacts are less noticable than before. However, they are still apparent in the fog in zelda and the sky, as well as some spots in Blur.
    I should also be able to have wiiconnect on all the time with no problem because it was designed for that. And even the nintendo rep said so.

So my suggestion for anyone with this problem, call nintendo, let them know, get a repair order or ask for a new console to trade for yours and there ya go. I also registered my wii to get the extended warranty.
    Once you get the repair number, if you choose to repair yours, you have 3 months to decide whether to send it in or not.

17. thisisgil

thisisgil WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 1616-2753-9551-8415
    1616-2753-9551-8415
    Artifacts / Polygon tearing are a danger sign on a PC that you're overclocking your graphics card too hard, and therefore the card is running too hot! I'd suggest this is the same on the Wii (the overheating bit, not the overclocking bit), and therefore, before rushing off to Nintendo to get a repair order raised - try moving the Wii around to a cooler place - you could even try pointing a desk fan at the ventilation slots in the Wii just to see if this fixes it.

If this does fix it, I'd suggest that the problem is environmental and not a faulty Wii, and there's little point in sending it back to Nintendo.

18. s9am_me

s9am_me Got my Wii!!

Wii Friend Code: 5361-7973-5682-6452
    5361-7973-5682-6452
    i started noticing this about 2 months ago. Happens in games and on the Wii menu. Thought it was the TV, but I tried diff cables, 2 TV's and a projector, all the same results. Its not environmental issues at all, I have it in the basement, cemented floor, where its friggin cold down there and this still happens.

[​IMG]

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-hardware/14992-video-noise-screen.html

It got a little worse over time and finally decided to take it to Nintendo. Requested a repair order online and they sent me a UPS packaging slip with pre-paid shipping. Very easy process. I sent it last Wed, and nintendo just got my package. Should get it back in another week. Expect to be wii-less for at least 2 weeks. I say don't wait until it gets worse, let Nintendo take care of it now while still under warranty. They have good customer service anyways

#18 s9am_me, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  19. wiichatwally

wiichatwally WiiChat Member

Artifacts on Screen

I have been noticing some artifacts on my screen lately. I was running excite truck, and I can barely see the screen when fog appears on the screen. The fog turns black, and you cannot see anything. I tested with Zelda also in the caves, and I had the same effect, and I tested with Wii Sports, and i get tonnes of artifacts in the sky in baseball. I have also noticed atrifacts on the Mii channels.

I have unplugged the Wii for the night, I am going to try to re-locate it it tomorrow and see if the problem gets better. I really do not want to send it in and lose it for 2 weeks. We play it daily, and it would be really missed.

I am also going to try turning off Wii Connect 24. Will update you all.

It is definately not my TV, my power supply just died in it, and I had the tv serviced, and I see no artifacts on DVD, Xbox, PC. Just the Wii.

Ciao
    Wiichatwally

20. wiichatwally

wiichatwally WiiChat Member

Still No Good

Yeah looks like I have to call Nintendo Tomorrow!

Sucks:nonod: