Nunchuk Pointer??

6ix

rebmeM tahCiiW
May 24, 2007
First off, know that I'm not all a tech guy and I am fully aware that there is no scanner thing on the nunchuk like there is on the front of the wiimote, BUT, I was wondering if the nunchuk has pointer capabilities. I'm waiting for a real Mech simulation game to be released on the wii, and I thought it would be awesome if you had two crosshairs, one with the Wiimote and one with the Nunchuk, is this possible or no?

It knows how the nunchuk moves.. I can't explain how
but they could connect it to the the joystick on the nunchuck to move the crosshairs

its definatley possible, ever played the flying game in wario ware smooth moves? the little aeroeplane is just as responsive with the nunchuck as it is with the remote.

Its possible.

You do realize the nunchuck has the same accelerometer as the Wiimote right? You should also know that the IR receiver on the Wiimote only senses distance from the TV and rotation and which part of the screen the Wiimote is pointed at.

Wii_Smurf said:
Or use 2 Wiimotes?
My thought exactly.

Last edited:
First ciper....the cursor uses the IR..... Just making sure you didn't leave it out of that post.

and 2 wiimotes would be awesome.

yeah i agree two wiimotes would be wikid, and for a single player mech game considering most people have two or more wiimotes it would work out well, maybe they could even release a wiimote-mech bundle like play, or a whole new controller lol :p

^^^^That would be crazy, or a co-op type mode with a Super mech where one player just pilots and has some basic weaponry and the second player controls all the major weapons, rotating his view with the joystick, while using two crosshairs with like 4 different guns armed at once, with the B, Z, C, and A buttons.

EDIT :: That thing you said about the game being a bundle with a new controller reminds me of this game I actually was considering getting for the Xbox called Steel Battalion. It's a hyper realistic Mech simulation that comes with a 40 button controller with foot pads, throttles, etc. $200 all together when it first came out lol, hopefully Nintendo's not that pricey.

Last edited:
Brawny said:
First ciper....the cursor uses the IR..... Just making sure you didn't leave it out of that post.
LOL edit. I do normally know that and I can't figure out why I left it out

6ix said:
That thing you said about the game being a bundle with a new controller reminds me of this game I actually was considering getting for the Xbox called Steel Battalion. It's a hyper realistic Mech simulation that comes with a 40 button controller with foot pads, throttles, etc. $200 all together when it first came out lol, hopefully Nintendo's not that pricey.
sideBySide.jpg

^^^^^But that's only one, I want to play two player if not four... :lol:

*packs Ski Mask and Revolver in bag*

I was wondering how the nunchuck controls things too. I noticed it when I was playing Wii Sports. I was boxing and you use the nunchuk as one hand the the wii-mote as the other. It would be cool if there was a feature like that on the upcoming Sims title. Maybe a cooking mama type mini-game to make the chores a little bit more fun.

The nunchuck has accelerometers just like the Wiimote. The only differnence is the lack of the IR port, which is only used to orientate the cursor on the screen

So, the short version is, Wii can sense that the nunchuk is moving, but cannot tell where it's pointing.

Now, what would be really cool would be a game that came with a new, different nunchuk peripheral that had the IR sensor, and a couple more buttons, so that you could use the joystick for movement, the two new buttons over the joystick for special movement (jumping, strafing) the two front buttons for weapon cycling/firing, and use the new IR sensor for targeting like the wiimote.

Did you know all of Wii sports doesnt use the sensor bar not including the menus? Start a game of any type and unplug the sensor bar and you will see what I mean. I think thats pretty surprising

ciper said:
Did you know all of Wii sports doesnt use the sensor bar not including the menus? Start a game of any type and unplug the sensor bar and you will see what I mean. I think thats pretty surprising

Not really as none of the games need you to point or aim with the Wii remote.

Back