Nvidia Says Graphics Matter

Leche159TKE

Hero of....nothing.
Jan 21, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Wii Online Code
8518-9115-4993-5417

Nvidia Says Graphics Matter

Dismisses Nintendo's assertion that graphics have reached a saturation point as nonsense.

Nvidia, one of the world's leading producers of graphics processing technology, seems to differ in opinion from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata on the subject of game visuals. In a recent interview with Next-Gen business, VP of content Roy Taylor voiced his opinion on the matter of gaming graphics and presentation.

"They're talking nonsense," he said of Nintendo assertion that videogame graphics have reached a saturation point. "It's ridiculous sot say that graphics don't matter. That's like saying 'The quality of my TV screen doesn't matter.' Oh really? So then in that case, you can go watch 24 in black-and-white on a seven-inch screen. It's nonsense to say graphics don't matter. I think we can do a lot better, but I think we'd like to see graphics encompassing the gameplay."

During the interview Taylor does state that gameplay can oftentimes play second fiddle to a game's visuals but reiterates that graphics will bring more emotion into software, stating that gamers seldom become as emotionally invested in characters from a videogame as they do in movies.

This comes as a big surprise from a graphics card company.

Link

lol you took the words right out of my mouth. of course they wuld say this. with no graphics, they have no money. its common sense for them to back it up. Ah well...t ME they arent the most important thing.

I have read different versions of what he has said and tbf I agree with him. Most people go oh gameplay over graphics ftw!!!!11!!. All he says is that graphics are important to gaming to elicit responses from the gamer, which they are. He even says graphics have to be as much a part of the game as gameplay.

His tv comparison is correct, I wouldnt go back to black and white TV in the same way I wouldnt go back to 8 bit graphics (except for a nostlagia fix).

Basically Ive seen some articles saying he is replying to Nintendos view of gaming whereas Ive seen other articles where people have asked him whether graphics are still important or not.

Fanboys jump on the nintendo one but not the other, which is why all fanboys should be pushed off a big mountain so the rest of us can enjoy our games.

Of course graphics matter but fun controlls help make up for it.

Plus graphics is almost strictly based on price... Not everyone thinks it's worth it

graphics matter quite abit. the wii has good graphics for what we pay for, and great gameplay. and in my opinion gameplay is more important than graphics, even tho graphics is important.

it depends on the genre, certain genres require the best possible graphics to convey emotion and atmosphere, certain genres like the mini game one, require bundles of gameplay to provide fun, they don't really need good graphics.

People do the Wii down too much just because it isn't HD, as I have said before boot up RE4 on your GC (or Wii) then say to yourself 'twice as powerful'

see nintendo didn't mean that graphics don't matter, they said "Nintendo's assertion that graphics have reached a saturation point" hence the saturation point? i agree completely, the graphics on the wii are perfectly fine, who give a fcuk if i cant see wrinkles that well in some guys face? wanna now my opinion? big ****ing deal. sure graphics have a point, but would you be owning wiis if they costed 600 bucks a piece? i don't think so, and that's how much it would have been with high def. sure graphics are a good thing, from 16 bit graphics to what we have now is a hell of a revolution, but gameplay beats graphics. now... if it was graphics like the frist zelda compared to like.... the ps3, then ok we're like a mile apart. but the wii to the ps3 is like... an inch apart. no big effin deal.

I would have to disagree with Nvidia, the example they use is stupid as its a great exaggeration, what nintendo meant is that graphics nowadays are pretty much as good as they need to be, that they have evolved to a point of general satisfaction and that focus should be taken away from that aspect. Another example of this, is that my internet connection doesn't really need to be any better, I never lag, it could be better yes but that would be a waste. But to be honest, a graphics card company saying that graphics matter is just an obvious statement , like microsoft screaming that vista will be a necessity for everyone in the future, the nvidia guy wouldn't have had a job for much longer if he said something like "yeah the graphics out now are fine, don't bother with our future products"

you sir speak the truth....... if someone doesn't make the first step to take a little focus away from graphics (Nintendo still made Wii more powerful so they obviously still have some focus on graphics) then all we will have is a power war and some very uninteresting machines to look forward to, look at this not in the short term but in the long. If Wii is a big success it will force console manufacturers to start thinking outside the box and make an interesting console not just a dumbed down PC.

If you want graphics save your money you didn't spend on a PS3 and get yourself a nice dx10 (maybe from nvidia :p ) GPU, it will blow PS3 and 360 away completely. I personally think that RE4 and the like look as good as they need to, and focus needs to be moved on to other parts of gaming to broaden the experience.

Graphics certainetly set the scene, games would be fully enthralling if as much focus was put into how we play the games. Which is Nintendos stance in a nutshell.

They take what Nintendo said and twist it completely around. Nintendo just meant they aren't stressing graphics because they aren't the most important part of the game. THEY ARE NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL AS STORY and GAMEPLAY!

He says stuff about watching 24 on a black-and-white TV. That is taking things to an extreme. Comparing Wii's graphics to a black-and-white TV is incredibly stupid. Nvidia - we get it, you make graphics cards, you like graphics.

Another take on this:

1) Nvidia is the graphics powerhouse behind the PS3
2) PS3 sales are hurting
3) Nvidia stocks are hurting because PS3 sales are hurting (fact!)

In other words, nvidia and Nintendo are market enemies. Of course they'd say this.

:frown2: I already said there is a whole load of versions of this quote flying about. I read one version (think it was on GoNintendo) where Nintendo wasn't even mentioned.

Adding in some sort of Nintendo rivalry just creates something for people to get all hot and bothered about, do you all really believe that if you asked an ATI manager (yes those people who produce chips for the Wii) are graphics important he would say "christ no, graphics mean **** all, I hope my company progresses no further, is surpassed by other graphics companies and goes out of business and I have no job in the future". Of course he wouldnt. In fact the Nvidia chap even says that some games have gone all out on graphics whilst ignoring gameplay and thats not the way to do it.

Sure he makes a bad comparison with HD TV and Black and white telly but his point is valid, we have to strive forward or theres no point making or playing games anymore. There is still plenty of potential in all the new consoles as long as producers dont get lazy on what they are doing (Far Cry anyone? )

Graphics still have a long way to go before saturation point. If you watch a really well acted film you can connect with the people in it through their facial expressions and how they move, I am yet to see a game where I connect with any character. Zelda did quite a good job through their story telling but most of the time the characters just looked slightly shocked whether they are happy, sad, orgasming or about to die and that isnt good enough (that and the tacked on wii controls that are in all fairness a bit crap ).

Last edited:
Back