Official Car Thread

Thinking of trading in my current suv for a convertible. What I have now looks like this:
200220nissan20xterra20slr2.jpg

Only 60k miles on it, kept it for the snow boarding trips and travel. But I dont do much of that anymore.

I dont want to blow a load over a mercedes or anything, so I was looking at a decent Honda s2000 or perhaps a Toyota M2 Spyder (even though they are discontinued, still used, but no 2007 models, I still want one for some reason lol). Sadly the convertible market isnt what it used to be.

hondas2000yc7.jpg

the spyder is here:
spyderrc6.jpg

Spyders are great because they are actually very cheap. I saw one going for $9,000 and about 50k miles on it.

Not bad. My friend has it in SchoolBus yellow.
The MR2 would sure be cheaper. Wouldn't you be worried the S2000 had been already flogged to death? My brother in law just traded in his Scion TC TRD for a 2007 S2000. The strange thing is that he lives in Michigan so I can't figure out what he plans to do in winter.

How about a Miata? They are far cheaper and have a larger aftermarket following than the S2000 and MR2 combined. You could even get into Spec. Miata racing if thats your thing.

ciper said:
Not bad. My friend has it in SchoolBus yellow.
The MR2 would sure be cheaper. Wouldn't you be worried the S2000 had been already flogged to death? My brother in law just traded in his Scion TC TRD for a 2007 S2000. The strange thing is that he lives in Michigan so I can't figure out what he plans to do in winter.

How about a Miata? They are far cheaper and have a larger aftermarket following than the S2000 and MR2 combined. You could even get into Spec. Miata racing if thats your thing.

eh, honestly I think the miata is ugly as sin. I find it, girly. Its like they took an oval and put a windshield on it. Who would want an oval shaped car? I dont. I live in hollywood, where you either drive a mercedes or you dont lol. The miata just doesnt look sharp. The S2000 looks much better in my opinion. But hey if you can think of a better convertible, let me know.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
eh, honestly I think the miata is ugly as sin. I find it, girly. Its like they took an oval and put a windshield on it. Who would want an oval shaped car? I dont. I live in hollywood, where you either drive a mercedes or you dont lol. The miata just doesnt look sharp. The S2000 looks much better in my opinion. But hey if you can think of a better convertible, let me know.
I've never been one to buy cars based on looks. Many of mine were in serious accidents before I owned them and I used brute force and screws to put them back together (im not joking).

Do you think even the new Miata is too girly?

I had no idea there was a new Miata. I believe the old Miata was too girly. It really is a cheap, chop top fun looking car though, I'd drive one. I'm not for looks of vehicles either, I like reliability. I found that in Subarus. My 98' Forester has 253 k and counting. :)

My 91 subaru has 230k and counting. My 95 has 240k the 90 has 160k and the 89 has 90k and counting.

You never replaced your head gasket in the forester?

Look at the new Miata and tell me what you think.

A car is like clothes. You use them every day, they become a part of your life. You wouldnt be walking around in a pink skirt and a poopstained tshirt would you? Thats how I feel about cars. You want to feel good and look good in them too. When I see grown men driving miatas around, and i try not to laugh. It looks.. really unatural, especially when you see the younge blond woman driving the same thing.

I go for cars that have good looks and good cabalities.

Again im open to any suggestions, but the miata is a joke as far as style and body shape go.

Between this
9686nx0.jpg

and
ToyotaMR2Spyder.JPG

I would go with the Spyder. I still favor the S2000 as well. S2000's are on the market starting (used) at 13k so far from what I have seen and the Spyders 10k. I payed 19k for my SUV (subwoofer setup and all. Nothing left out).

lol no, but I do need good speakers for some good ol metallica. Too much bass bugs me, but not enough is bad. I like to feel it, not drown in it.

ciper said:
You drive a french car? :lol:

Why not buy a container of touch up paint from the dealer and fill the chip yourself?

There is a tiny dent in the door too - I coudn't fix that so I'll need to accept the fact that the god of careless stupidity has blessed me at birth.

Live in UK Most regular cars are Peugeot, Renault, Vauxhall or Volkswagon...
(Running costs for cars here are extortionate... £1 a litre of petrol - thats approx $2 a litre).

Recently had an MG TF - was great fun, but no boot space or rear seats. So had to get something with those things.
Here's pics. (still have MG too as its now my gf's car) (pics aint great since I took them with my phone - didn't realise macro was on - bit grainy...)

PS - the standard "metallic grey" bumper on the higher models of the megane line is getting colour coded asap too... (as well as some 18/19" wheels)

Attachments

• SP_A0083.jpg
    SP_A0083.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00388.JPG
    DSC00388.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00392.JPG
    DSC00392.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
A car is like clothes. You use them every day, they become a part of your life. You wouldnt be walking around in a pink skirt and a poopstained tshirt would you?
I am exactly the opposite. A car is not jewelry. Looking nice is a great afterthought. It is nearly my last priority when buying a car.

A car is meant to be driven. The driving experienced is not enhance by the sheet metal especially considering you can't see the lines from the drivers seat. (aerodynamics aside for the moment)

Ill follow your analogy. If I was wearing a pink skirt and a poop stained shirt but could run through the tree tops like a ninja blocking bullets with a sword would you laugh?

This will make you laugh a little - I searched for years trying to get an XT6 with AWD and manual transmission. I was so happy when I finnally found one and you couldn't even drive it at the time. Check these pictures out (not mine but similar), specifically the rear and interior http://members.tripod.com/Matt_Birchard/subxt/xt.htm

Edit: Hehe even better. I spent more on the wheels and tires on my current daily driver than the purchase price of the car! Dunlop Sp Sport A2 205/50 r16 on used 02 WRX 16 pound 6.5 wide wheels

Last edited:
Cipher
Well no, again I do not focus purely on style. It has to be a mixture between what I think looks good and what performs good too. I mean, its not a race machine im after. Its for general commuting and fun in the sun. Like clothes, you need ones that fit your personality and your occupation. It might be more efficient to run around naked, but that doesnt mean not wanting to is bad.

Again, if there was a car that looked like poop, but drove the best, I wouldnt want it. Its part of being artistic in nature. People like me appreciate the artistically appealing while getting also what they need. Same goes for a guitars. Style wouldnt exist if it were not important.

My factors in buying a car are...

Cost
Looks
Fun to drive
Practicality/Safety

I can't find pictures of my daily driver when I bought it. I know they are here somehwere...

Anyways half of the front bumper was hanging off the front and sticking out. The floor of the rear passenger seat area was wet and musty. The seats had holes chewed in them by a damn bird. The list goes on!

I do have a car that you might like but I'd rather tell you in PM.

Back