Official Car Thread

To most, a car is just transportation... To me, a car is much, much more. I spend time under the hood, and I spend time under the car wrenching on it. I learn about every ding in the body and every flaw in the design. When I drive it, I feel the car and hear her feedback. I know exactly what it will do and under what circumstances it will do it. I don't do any of it to impress anyone, I just do it because that's what I have fun doing. It's just what I do. I like to make things go fast, and then I like to go fast in them.

For me, a car must look good AND perform. I would get no joy at all sitting behind the wheel of... say a Ford Taurus... Sure they are pretty reliable, but how can anyone be inspired by something so bland? Something so weak in power? Mein gott, I just don't understand that at all. Not knocking it, I know most people aren't as into cars as I am, but still.

I think I was born in the wrong era! I should really be about 18 years old in 1957. I would so have a 5 window deuce coupe with a 283 Chevy. Then in about 62 or 63, I would move up to a 327 and dominate all. :wink:

I can understand looks but my goal is far different from most of yours -
My current dream car (that I own) is an attempt to create the ultimate sleeper. Even with high expected horsepower I've tried my best to make it silent. In its current state it will wipe the floor with most cars on the road but its far from done. Its a station wagon btw.
Ive dreamed of the day when I finish building the current engine and visiting the drag strip or autocross with a bike rack attached. Think they would let me go with a bike attached and a boot full of grocery bags? ;)

Scream said:
For me, a car must look good AND perform. I would get no joy at all sitting behind the wheel of...

What if it was a 68 mustang with a terrible body (dents rust you name it) but with 400+ horse under the hood?

Last edited:
I would take it in a heart beat. I put performance far before looks. It would be a real sleeper and a rat rod. It would still have the body shape of a mean little muscle car. Of course I would probably work on restoring it eventually.

A good looking car makes me feel good. Egotistical I know, but its part of me that likes to show off; I get a thrill when people check my car out on the streets especially in new towns and villages and especially when it is female attention ;)

However cost plays a huge part. My car cost £468 at the auctions in May 2006 with 96K on the clock. This was fairly cheap for what is a decent motor. The insurance this year was £1045 thanks to my intro NCB from being under Mums policy for a year when I renewed in February.

Then the alloys were £315 which I had for my 18th birthday off Dad in Febuary. So it does cost to run a car especialy when fuel is £1 a litre, but subtle modifications over time improve the look of the car and naturally my ego :D

Scream said:
I would take it in a heart beat. I put performance far before looks. It would be a real sleeper and a rat rod. It would still have the body shape of a mean little muscle car. Of course I would probably work on restoring it eventually.

Ok good. Just checking. If I had unlimited funds I would consider repainting the car back to the exact factory spec including grey pin stripes.

Visual mods bother me I cant stand wings, neon, led washer nozzles, blue head lights or melon shooter exhausts.

I very much agree. It should be against the law for people to put those stupid ass massive spoilers on muscle cars.... no rims bigger than 20s either! Do what you want on the newer stuff, still bad taste though.:cool:

Scream, can I ask you a favor? Will you be on for a few minutes?

I want you unbiased opinion of something. I know you aren't an expert on foreign cars but an engine is an engine and you know enough to do just fine.

Last edited:
Subtle mods I prefer, no beefy body kits or this Japanese smoothing culture. All about the smokey reps, a nice set of alloys, small spoiler and color coded bumpers.

Do you think this is possible -

A 4 cylinder engine with 2.6 liters of displacement. Its from a high end sport version of a car with two turbos and originally spec'd at 280 HP @ 6800rpm and 260 torque @ 4400 rpm. Dyno testing put most near 320hp so assume thats the true output. In full race trim the engine runs around 500 peak hp. Assume everthing is stock and add these changes.

Upgrade to any two new turbos you want
New headers of any design
Large high efficiency intercooler
Adjustable cam gears (with stock cams)
3 inch exhaust with high flow cat
High performance intake manifold
Racing spark plugs
Ceramic clutch
Cold air intake and high performance filter
Swap from centrally mounted coil and spark plug wires to a seperate coil on each plug

Claimed result: 1007HP with a 0-60 of 1.9 seconds

Last edited:
Well I would need proof before I believed it off of those specs. The car would probably not be very streetable and would need a very high octane. Is it possible? Sure. Just take a look at this:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_norwoods_racing_funnycar_integra/

I will quote the key part: "Try, for a moment, to comprehend a four-cylinder engine capable of achieving 4,000 hp at 55 psi turbo boost on nitromethane."

So, a 1000 HP 4 cyl is certainly possible... but I would be doubtfull about the streetability of it. The specs you gave me look kind of shakey as well, but then again I really don't specialize in turbos or 4 cylinders.

Why do you ask anyway?

Realize there are NO other parts. None of the following: new computer, new injectors, strengthened internals, transmission, drag radials, suspension modifications.

Last edited:
No updated computer chip? Stock sized injectors? Based on my PROM burning experience, which being fair isn't too much, I would have to cautiously say no way, but still be ready to be amazed.:yesnod:

BS is my final answer though.

Good. What did you think of the 1.9 second 0-60? Original is 4.7. Lets say for a moment you had the power. Even with all wheel drive I can't seeing it possible without drag radials and an automatic transmission. **** I forgot to say the original one had a 5 speed manual and awd.

I withheld the reason for asking so I wouldn't effect the answer. Someone on this forum claims this is his car and specs. I have quite a bit of experience with 4 cylinder tuning and i know its complete BS. There are cars/engines of the type I mentioned with 1000hp but they are undrivable at anything but full throttle.

People who lie about their car makes me so angry. Only dealing with my mom causes me as much trouble.

Edit: I should list the other modifications included randomly in the middle of this list

Flame Thrower Kit - would this be a spark plug mounted in the exhaust? AFTERBURNERS!
Vertical Door Conversion - Helps it fly i guess
Neon Light-Up Shift Knob - At least FIFTY HORSEPOWER
New Rear Wing - Needed with those doors

Last edited:
You have trouble dealing with your mom too huh? We have a lot in common! :lol:

1.9 with that kind of HP, on street tires? No way. You would be sitting at the line with the tires spinning for a good long while. For a 0-60 like that you really need to be hooked up.

Back