Official Iphone thread

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
The only thread I found in a search is in the sony forum comparing it to a PS3 so I started this one. I'd like to take some time to point out a few of its flaws.
The iphone is lacking all of the following

Applications/games (not browser based)
Flash support
Java support
Instant Messaging
MMS
Video recording
Voice recognition or voice dialing
Fast data capability (Edge has terrible latency and low bandwith)
GPS
A real keyboard (some see this as a benefit)
Removable battery
Expandable Storage
iTunes Music Store Access
Exchange server support (very important)
Zoom or Flash on the 2mp camera
Multi provider support (at&t has terrible customer support ratings)
Removable SIM
Use as a modem for a PC
Sync over Bluetooth or Wifi
High quality sound over Bluetooth (not even in mono let alone Stereo) A2DP
Headphone jack that doesnt support standard 1/4" plugs
(The last two combine to make this a pretty sad MP3 player)

The glass screen has already been broken by a few users. Unfortunately there is no end user replacement method unlike other cell phones. Example http://www.flickr.com/photos/ficharker/sets/72157600594051928/

Lets move on to price
600 - for the 8gb.
100 - Activation fee and taxes.
1440 - Total cost of service for the mandatory 2-year contract at the cheapest rate. - $60/month for 450 daytime minutes

You're up to over $2100 for the ability to make calls and listen to mp3's. WHEEE!:crazy:

edit: I've always wanted to post an OFFICIAL thread :lol:

Last edited:
Dayum... $2100!?

God That's A LOT!!!
Didja Get One? WHO HAS ONE ON HERE?

paintba||er said:
And why do you factor the service into the price? You have to pay that with any phone.

Other phones do not REQUIRE the purchase of a data plan my friend... Ive been surfing the net on my cheap ass Nokia without one for a long time.

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Dayum... $2100!?

God That's A LOT!!!
Didja Get One? WHO HAS ONE ON HERE?
Realize 2100 is the absolute minimum. Most plans cost significantly more! There is an apple fanboy on this site that I am SURE had one on the first day. Lets see if he replies...

Indeed. I work at RadioShack and we sell AT&T phones. I got an exclusive look at the iPhone even though we won't be carrying it.

The iPhone is a 2G (second generation) phone rather than AT&T's newest line of 3G phones. It lacks all of the things listed above including the highspeed UMTS data speeds. That means your web browsing and youtube is gonna take FOREVER. It'll be just as bad as being on an old school razr.

The 3G phones are more capable, they just don't look as nifty and don't contain that nice little apple stamp. All in all, the iPhone was a bunch of wasted hype.

I'd rather get a mogul, Sprint's iPhone killer. It's got Windows Mobile and is much more capable than the iPhone. Hell, almost every other carrier's "iPhone killer" is better than the iPhone in MOST ways, not all.

paintba||er said:
I think the OpenMoko looks cool, it is pretty much a iPhone copy with Linux. I made a thread about it, but it only got one reply so I guess not many people know about it.

Haven't seen it. Who carries it?

I still think the mogul is pretty badass, and cheaper. Though I'll stick to my free Blackberries. lol.

*Edit: I won't deny though, I just looked up the OpenMoko and it looks pretty freaking awesome. I just wish I knew who carried it.

Last edited:
paintba||er said:

Its not out yet and when it comes out you won't be locked to any one service provider.

Which will be available? I've never heard of a dual GSM/CDMA phone before... You'd still have to pick which service to pick up and that would make a difference as to your options. I'm guessing it will probably be GSM.

I'd probably try it out. I get a killer AT&T deal through work and I use T-Mobile on a personal basis for family talk.

Missing high quality bluetooth audio combined with a non standard headphone plug makes it a pain in the ass to play music through your car.

It would have been PERFECT to pair the IPhone to an A2DP receiver in the car with NO WIRES! Well at least most cars are now coming with a headphone in jack but OOPS the iphone doesn't support a standard headphone connection without another bulky adapter :(

Doesn't anyone think its a major oversight? I feel that music in the car is how a majority of consumers listen to their MP3s

Back