Official "Wii Channel Ideas" Thread.

Wii Stocks Channel
Nintendo is quite obviously hoping to capture more non-gamers with its Wii Channels. The News Channel grabs the latest AP headlines and doesn't even feature a dedicated gaming feed of news. Clearly, it's not targeted at the hardcore sector. That being true, why not offer a stock ticker interface that enables users to monitor their portfolios online?

Wii Movie Search Channel
Not everybody has money in Apple, Inc. -- although, really, they should. That said, most of us do enjoy a good movie. Normally, we turn to the Internet to find movie listings and show times, but why not simply power on the Wii to gain access to this information quickly and easily? There's no reason why it shouldn't be a possibility, especially since there are already widgets available for PC and Mac that grab feeds of this data.

Wii Movie Trailers Channel
In a perfect world, the Movie Trailers and Movie Search Channels would be integrated into one big, beautiful offering, but we're realists and frankly, Nintendo hasn't exactly gone above and beyond with its other Channels. They all display useful information, but their functionality is also regularly limited. So, if a Movie Trailers Channel needs to be its own entity, no problem. We can live with that. But regardless, it would be very handy if Wii could download and display 640x360 QuickTime trailers.

DS Demos Channel Sony's already offering downloadable PSP games through the PlayStation 3 online network. Nintendo needs to get the same thing going for DS and sooner rather than later. A DS Demos Channel seems to be the ideal solution. Users interested in gaining DS demos could simply click on the Channel, choose the demo they'd like to try out, download it to Wii, and then wirelessly transfer the preview to their handheld.

Wii Sports Page Channel
Sure, there's a sports section in the Wii News Channel, but sports fans would agree that it barely scratches the surface of all the information available. Only a dedicated Wii Sports Page Channel could display all the latest news and all the sought after stats. Users should be able to organize the page by their favorite sports, tracking their choice teams, players, and more. A quick glance at the page every morning could easily bring even the most die-hard sports fans acceptably up-to-date on their favorite team's goings-ons.

And Many, Many More...
Readers have already said that they would love a zipcode-based pizza delivery channel, which was a bit too specialized for us to include as a standalone option in today's feature. That noted, it does raise an interesting point, which is that there is an audience for all sorts of different Channels, some more specific than others. With that in mind, we really think that the future of Wii Channels should rest in the hands of Nintendo and various third parties. If Nintendo were to create a Channels Marketplace, users could choose from hundreds of widget-style Channels crafted by the Big N and an assortment of studios. Do we think it'll happen? We'd be surprised. Nintendo is notoriously controlling and unlikely to relinquish its stranglehold on the Wii Channels interface. But we can certainly dream.

Taken from IGN : The future of wii channels
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/760/760315p1.html

i seen so many of this kind threads already, oh well,
kids channel
mp3 channel
dvd channel
chat channel
wii background change channel
"a channel to make ur own channel" channel
advertisements channel
food channel
local news channel

A music channel would definitely be good as most of you previously have mentioned; would also be cool to be able to set the music playing as the background music when you're on the other various channels.

Last edited:
This should be a sticky, it'd filter out some of these kinds of threads.

I actually can't think of any aside from the already said ones. A DS Channel would be awesome though. :yesnod:

A movie channel would be cool. Call it IMDWii or something. :lol:

Could work like the Everybody Votes channel, where people vote for thier favourite films by genre, favourite actors, favourite soundtracks etc and it is then compared to the rest of the Wii population!

i would like to see an xfire wii channel, so you can chat and follow your friends into online games

when more online games come out that is :p

There are a few ideas I can think of...

Sports Channel - You could have streaming results of various sports from around the world, such as Rugby, Curling, American Football, and many others. You could localize it, like the weather channel, then you could view streaming results from other countries. Also, various cups areound the world, like the Olympics and the World Cup could be viewed. People could comment on various teams and you could have polls and see who people want to win. Also, it could incorporate stuff from Wii Sports.

(As said earlier)

Trivia Channel - It could be based off of many things, but I am assuming Nintendo knowledge. You could have various challenges and questions. You could go against live people or just against other Miis. Also, maybe if it was going against real people, the winner could get a cool addition to the Mii channel or get a trophy to display, which brings me to my next channel...

Trophy Channel - This could be its on channel or incorporated into another. You could have all the medals from Wii Sports, the Trivia Channel trophies, and future award displayed there with your own description or feelings on getting each one. You could also choose the display case and arrange them how you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
A MSN Messenger, Yahoo Chat, and all those other Instant Messengers. So a IM Channel.

Jenslin said:
A MSN Messenger, Yahoo Chat, and all those other Instant Messengers. So a IM Channel.

Yeah, basically a Trillian ported for the Wii would be great.

the DS channel should make it so you can wirelessly link your DS to the wii so that you can play on a big screen like through the DS... ya know what i mean?

Back